Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Advice for Canon

• 05-04-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to buy my first telephoto lens for my canon eos 400d - my budget not a lot so which of the following would ye recommend?

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

or

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

is there much difference?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I havent used either, but IS is very useful on a telephoto lens, especially one with a small aperture. Also, there is not a big difference in real world use between 250 & 300mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have the 55-250 on a 450d and, while I'd sometimes like extra reach, I don't think the extra 50mm would make it worthwhile given the loss of the IS.

It's a fine lens in decent light but, given the narrow aperature, it's not much use in low light without a steady tripod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What do you want to shoot?

The extra 50mm can be useful at the long end.

For handheld portrait, and such, IS can be useful. For sport/wildlife, you should be shooting high enough shutter speeds not to need/use IS.

Advertisement