Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi dongle on work network

Options
  • 05-04-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm trying to figure out how to get an internet connection on the shop PC in my workplace. My PC and the others in the office are all connected to the router but while the pc in the shop is on the network I cant get it to connect to the internet. I was thinking of using a wifi dongle and picking up a connection that way but I was wondering if it can be done due to the pc already on the Lan. As far as I know th shop pc is on the Lan but not connected to the router but connected via the server.
    Any ideas?
    Oh, I forgot to mention that DHCP is turned off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

karlkavo wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out how to get an internet connection on the shop PC in my workplace. My PC and the others in the office are all connected to the router but while the pc in the shop is on the network I cant get it to connect to the internet. I was thinking of using a wifi dongle and picking up a connection that way but I was wondering if it can be done due to the pc already on the Lan. As far as I know th shop pc is on the Lan but not connected to the router but connected via the server.
    Any ideas?
    Oh, I forgot to mention that DHCP is turned off!

You mentioned that the shop pc is connected to the server, so there is some sort of network connection there... the other computers are connected to a router, and have internet access. Are these computers also connected to the server?
    I'm trying to figure out if everything is wired up correctly and maybe you just have a config problem, so can you post back some more info:

On your computer, click Start - Run, type in CMD and click OK to open a command prompt.
    At the command prompt type in ipconfig and press the enter key.
    What do you see beside:
    IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Default Gateway

Repeat this on the shop PC
    IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Default Gateway

and post back here with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

My pc is 192.168.117.25

The shop pc:
    192.168.1.100 if tried changed that to 192.168.117.1 but still no joy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you doing this with your employer's permission? If not you could be leaving yourself open to action being taken against you.

Yeah he asked if I could connect it. Were trying to connect to the Internet to look up printer cartridge codes on our website.
    I'm only a few weeks there but whoever installed the system done it arse-ways. I'm a qualified pc technician but I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling the whole network for one pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

sounds like yer work network uses a web proxy

check the proxy settings on the internet browsers

internet explorer guide here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982
    firefox guide here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2239820_enter-proxy-settings-firefox.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

karlkavo wrote: »
    My pc is 192.168.117.25

The shop pc:
    192.168.1.100 if tried changed that to 192.168.117.1 but still no joy.

The default gateway on the shop pc defo doesn't look right...
    What is this computer used for? Is there more than one network card? Is there any external devices connected with a network cable?

Can you type ROUTE PRINT at a command prompt on the shop pc and paste the results back here?

If you change the default gateway to 192.168.117.1, can you ping that IP address?
    if there is only one network card in the computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This sounds more a network issue than broadband; thread moved to Nets & Comms.

It's used as the till so there's a barcode scanner attached. I'm not too bothered about connecting via Ethernet cable if I can get around it with a wifi dongle. I'll try pinging the router and see if I can get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

You dont mention DNS servers used, have u changed the work pc's dns to match the settings on the office pc?

Advertisement