Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance question

Options
  • 05-04-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

hi mods please move if in the wrong area.

last week water came through my ceiling, called in a plumber to quote me and get a plumbers report for the insurance. Turns out whole shower is ****ed and needs to be ripped out and replaced. Insurance company wanted reports for everything so had to get a tiler in to quote to replace tiles after the job

All in all the bill is 1300euro, i have heard if a job is over 1000e that the insurance company will send someone out to do the work themselves.

Is this true, because i dont get why did i have to shell out over 100e for call outs to give me reports and quotes if they were just going to do it themselves?

Ive no idea how this all works can someone help?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I've never heard of an insurance company arranging work to be carried out themselves.

Had burst pipe there in the last cold spell, house was empty, est. damage was 20K. And we still picked all the tradesmen etc ourselves. The insurance company sent out an assessor and we submitted 2 quotes for all the work to be done and that was it.

It surprises me to hear you paid for quotes..? if im picking you up right that is.

But you should be able to include it in your costs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Doop wrote: »
    It surprises me to hear you paid for quotes..? if im picking you up right that is.

But you should be able to include it in your costs anyway.

yes the plumber charged me for a call out to look at the shower and do out a plumbers report and the tiler had a call out charge to check what tiles had to be replaced etc

no according to my insurance the cost of people calling out is my own. im just worried that they will decide 1300 is too much and send an accessor out to check the damage, which will take even more time, ive already been without my shower a week.

Does anyone know is it over 1000 they send someone out? because if it is ill just pay the extra 300 out of my own money because i cant wait any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no according to my insurance the cost of people calling out is my own. im just worried that they will decide 1300 is too much and send an accessor out to check the damage, which will take even more time, ive already been without my shower a week.

i dont blame them is saying the cost is yours. I cant beleive you paid somebody to quote you on a job. You should have told them to go jump and rang somebody else.

seriously mate they must have seen you coming a mile away !!

process is simple file a claim,
    get the assesor out & get quotes on the work (DONT PAY FOR QUOTES !! )
    have the claim approved and have the work done

D3PO wrote: »
    i dont blame them is saying the cost is yours. I cant beleive you paid somebody to quote you on a job. You should have told them to go jump and rang somebody else.

seriously mate they must have seen you coming a mile away !!

process is simple file a claim,
    get the assesor out & get quotes on the work (DONT PAY FOR QUOTES !! )
    have the claim approved and have the work done

Thats a bit harsh. Im only in my home a year and a half i dont have a clue about insurance protocoul (sp) every first time buyer makes mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thats a bit harsh. Im only in my home a year and a half i dont have a clue about insurance protocoul (sp) every first time buyer makes mistakes

on reading it back it was . I do appologise

• Advertisement

Thank you

The insurance company should have the documents by now anyone know how long ill be waiting for an answer?

Advertisement