Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Quiz!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

I know I've never been, (hopefully going next week!) but I'd agree with IO. Earlier start times means people can get the last bus home and use the money they would have used for a taxi on another pint :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 champo

ok so maybe we'll try do them at the same time, but only have the volume on the tv inbetween rounds...?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

champo wrote: »
    ok so maybe we'll try do them at the same time, but only have the volume on the tv inbetween rounds...?

That worked well last week during the Man City/Swansea game. Worth trying it on Monday, definitely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

Definitely worth trying, everyone should be happy then. People can do the quiz and follow what's happening in the match if they wish, and people who have to catch the last bus can hopefully stay for the whole quiz and buy more drink so the pub is happy too lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I must say thanks to John for the late start on Monday. Great to be able to finish watching the match properly before the quiz started. I was half thinking of not coming at all due to the game so I really appreciated that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is the quiz not also in danger of running too late if it starts later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

9.45 is way too late to be starting it, it used to be a nightmare back at the start, ran way too late.

Can I make a suggestion here? You do the cheap pints on Monday nights for the quiz, but the soft drinks are a killer on the designated drivers. You do the cheap minerals at lunchtime, any chance you'd consider doing it on the Monday nights too? we share about the driving duties and theres always one of us paying as much for a small coke as we are for pints, doesnt seem fair on them

zuroph wrote: »
    Can I make a suggestion here? You do the cheap pints on Monday nights for the quiz, but the soft drinks are a killer on the designated drivers. You do the cheap minerals at lunchtime, any chance you'd consider doing it on the Monday nights too? we share about the driving duties and theres always one of us paying as much for a small coke as we are for pints, doesnt seem fair on them

You shouldn't be drinking minerals at that hour of the night... Bad for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

will there be a table quiz on tonight guys? i have a free night so i'd like to come along and try this out, maybe slot into a team if there's a spare seat? what time should one turn up at in order to register for it and stuff? :|

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

xsiborg wrote: »
    will there be a table quiz on tonight guys? i have a free night so i'd like to come along and try this out, maybe slot into a team if there's a spare seat? what time should one turn up at in order to register for it and stuff? :|

Pretty sure it's on tonight. Champo was looking for advice a few days ago anyway, and he mentioned nothing about cancelling. :) Get there around ten to nine to be safe. I think it might actually start on time this week! :D

I'll probably be arriving a few minutes late though. (If anyone has my number, text me if they need me for a team!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

xsiborg wrote: »

Pretty sure it's on tonight. Champo was looking for advice a few days ago anyway, and he mentioned nothing about cancelling. :) Get there around ten to nine to be safe. I think it might actually start on time this week! :D

I'll probably be arriving a few minutes late though. (If anyone has my number, text me if they need me for a team!)

It's on tonight & champion wrote the questions so I may be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

I'm sure we can arrange something on one line of a soft drink for the designated drivers.... keep ya posted

good man Ken!

good man Ken!

The other option is drinking tea, which I've done the last two weeks.
    Seems to be working as well, finishing in the top 3 twice in a row! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I'm sure we can arrange something on one line of a soft drink for the designated drivers.... keep ya posted

How about designated walker/limper (recent ACL reconstruction)?

Hey Guys, tomorrow night is my last night at quiz master and as a result we need new quiz master. Your chance to have a say, vote here or on facebook (www.oconnellsquiz.facebook.com) for quizmaster and also be entered into a draw when you show up at tomorrow nights quiz for a few freebies!

Thanks Quizateers,
    Champo :)

That link's not working for me, Champo! :P

I'll be in to see you off tomorrow anyway.

Personally I'd like to see Ken himself do it! I'd say he'd be a good QM, plus being the owner it would add a nice personal touch!

• Advertisement

Personally I'd like to see Ken himself do it! I'd say he'd be a good QM, plus being the owner it would add a nice personal touch!

Absolutely no problem, will u organize the baby sitter for the 8 month and 2 year old and someone to do the paperwork for the night.... believe me i'd jump at the get out of jail card!!!!!

i'll try pencil myself in to do some night with herself!!!!

Company for Sale, even more of a nightmare with key member of executive management committee emeigrating (or going on the piss for a year)

Pub Quiz fundraiser this thur night, 9pm in Annacotty, ALL WELCOME in aid of Aisling Annacotty Under 19's...... Champo's last stand!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'll babysit them and do the paperwork! Hell, I'd be amazing at it! I can almost colour between the lines now so they could help me! I'll even pay for their tab! (Babies do like Tequila right?!)

"Executive management committee" i knew i should have asked for a raise!! :P

Absolutely no problem, will u organize the baby sitter for the 8 month and 2 year old and someone to do the paperwork for the night.... believe me i'd jump at the get out of jail card!!!!!

i'll try pencil myself in to do some night with herself!!!!

Company for Sale, even more of a nightmare with key member of executive management committee emeigrating (or going on the piss for a year)

Pub Quiz fundraiser this thur night, 9pm in Annacotty, ALL WELCOME in aid of Aisling Annacotty Under 19's...... Champo's last stand!!!!

Anyone in town for this tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Awh man I LOVE table quizzes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elvis77

Theres one in the Ardhú Bar on Wed night

elvis77 wrote: »
    Theres one in the Ardhú Bar on Wed night

What time? Trying to decide between quizzing or going to the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

What time? Trying to decide between quizzing or going to the White House.

8 o'clock I think. A few of us will be going to it.

Couldn't make the O'Connell's one last night due to being unwell.

went to o connells quiz for the first time since champo left last Monday.

Lads, you really need to give the host some tips, the fun was totally sucked out of the quiz.
    1) There's a prize for best team name, but he didnt call out the full team names once.
    2) He doesnt give scores between rounds, which meant for no competition between tables, and no competitiveness, no slagging etc.
    3) Tears into it too fast.
    4) the final round was double points but was a music speciality round, I think it should be general knowledge if its going to be the deciding round.
    5) winners announced as winners, 2nd 3rd, instead of reverse order, without scores so people can see how far they were off the pace.

I know I sound like a moaner about this, but I talked to several teams that were there and they all agreed, it really detracted from what used to be a great night out, several said they'd consider not bothering in future.

• Advertisement

went to o connells quiz for the first time since champo left last Monday.

Lads, you really need to give the host some tips, the fun was totally sucked out of the quiz.
    1) There's a prize for best team name, but he didnt call out the full team names once.
    2) He doesnt give scores between rounds, which meant for no competition between tables, and no competitiveness, no slagging etc.
    3) Tears into it too fast.
    4) the final round was double points but was a music speciality round, I think it should be general knowledge if its going to be the deciding round.
    5) winners announced as winners, 2nd 3rd, instead of reverse order, without scores so people can see how far they were off the pace.

I know I sound like a moaner about this, but I talked to several teams that were there and they all agreed, it really detracted from what used to be a great night out, several said they'd consider not bothering in future.

Hey Zuroph....

We'll have some job replacing the champ!!!!! We're considering closing the company, we couldn't afford the key man insurance :-)

Anyways.....

We'll take it all on board and I'll go through it with Dessie, we'll see how he fairs out and if there still issue's we'll have to go back to the ballot boxes!!!!!

While we have all the quizzzers here...

theres a quiz on next wed night, questions called out over radio, live 95, hopefully good night, I have warned the 2 year old that she better be in bed by 9 so can go down!!!!!

Please support, City of Sport Pub Quiz...... All draft as usual only 3 bucks
    And FR** DRINK FOR EVERYBODY THAT COMES AND PLAYS ON ME :-)

Advertisement