Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Quiz!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll be playing a match at 7:30, so I don't think I'll make it in on time for the quiz. Might pop in to say hi at some stage instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Ill be quizing! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

zuroph wrote: »
    dont think I'll be there tonight anyway, got some other stuff to take care of

Are ya over at that thing you told us about the last night? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Are ya over at that thing you told us about the last night? :D

no comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I'm stilll laid up so won't be joining

• Advertisement

foinse wrote: »
    I'm stilll laid up so won't be joining

Bad times! How've ya been since the op? Hope it helped.

@IO good luck with the match, if you do decide to come in, text me

What time will ye be there and we can meet for a pint beforehand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Well, the fix is in. Just back from the quiz and the team that won had someone texting at their table during a round.

Mobile phones have ruined quizzes but the pub could do more to keep the tables outside from gaining unfair advantage, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Not surprised in the slightest.

We were cheated out of first a few weeks ago by some blatant phone use in the final round.

The organisers could definitely be a bit more pro-active in making sure they're not being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

that round about matching the song to the movie was awful.....:(

• Advertisement

yupyup7up wrote: »
    that round about matching the song to the movie was awful.....:(

Horrific. Not even in the slightest bit fun or enjoyable, just plain crap. Bring back the audio clip round!
    Well, the fix is in. Just back from the quiz and the team that won had someone texting at their table during a round.

Mobile phones have ruined quizzes but the pub could do more to keep the tables outside from gaining unfair advantage, imo.

Yeah it's not being monitored amongst the outside teams, and I may be wrong here but I think some of the people on that team are friendly with the staff.

Ah lads, if I knew ye were there I'd have said hello.

Anyhow, yeah, the quizmaster was with the team that won afterwards, but there's nothing wrong with that, imo, you're going to get to know the various people if you go every week.

Ah lads, if I knew ye were there I'd have said hello.

Anyhow, yeah, the quizmaster was with the team that won afterwards, but there's nothing wrong with that, imo, you're going to get to know the various people if you go every week.

I've been going most weeks since it started and there's one team that are definitely friends of the bar staff, and I could've sworn that the girl who's taken over as quizmaster was a part of that team in the past (I could be wrong though)

I've been going most weeks since it started and there's one team that are definitely friends of the bar staff, and I could've sworn that the girl who's taken over as quizmaster was a part of that team in the past (I could be wrong though)

Disappointing if true.

Whatever about it, they were definitely seen using a phone when I'm pretty sure no one inside was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Could be my fault I'm afraid. Poor Sarah's lost voice was something I found funny enough that I held up the phone in the air to record it during a round. Didn't even think that it might look like I was doing anything nefarious. Either way, not something I'd plan on doing again.

I'd know the bar staff reasonably well through being in the pub for tea during the week (I'm also in a craft group that meets there on Wednesdays) but then I've been on two or three different teams since the thing started. I wouldn't stay on a team that was doing, or willing to do, anything dodgy in order to screw a few points out of what's a fun evening for me.

sceptre wrote: »
    Could be my fault I'm afraid. Poor Sarah's lost voice was something I found funny enough that I held up the phone in the air to record it during a round. Didn't even think that it might look like I was doing anything nefarious. Either way, not something I'd plan on doing again.

I'd know the bar staff reasonably well through being in the pub for tea during the week (I'm also in a craft group that meets there on Wednesdays) but then I've been on two or three different teams since the thing started. I wouldn't stay on a team that was doing, or willing to do, anything dodgy in order to screw a few points out of what's a fun evening for me.

Pretty sure it's not you. My teammate walked out of the pub and saw a member of the winning team using their phone, with the phone in their lap under the table. Nothing like you've described, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

I think you may be referring to me. My sister had a baby on Sunday morning and the baby was in the ICU until Monday. I was receiving regular updates from my parents and her boyfriend about the baby (who thankfully is not only beautiful but is out of the ICU). I do apologise if people thought there was something untoward going on but I couldn't put life on hold for the sake of a table quiz.

If we had been cheating we would have done much better. In fact we did really badly compared to previous weeks. We won by 1 question in the final round. All of the rounds that everyone struggled on we did too. The movies and songs round we got 4. We only got 3 right in the 2nd to last round.

Aside, Sarah has never been on our team she just happens to be a friend of ours and if she wants to have coffee with us afterwards, even if only so we could laugh at her Minnie Mouse voice, then we can hardly say no in case other people get the wrong idea.

I think people have lost the sense of fun that's supposed to go hand in hand with a pub quiz. We go for the craic which we always have

I'm no position to refute what either of you are saying, but it's unfair and imo, against the spirit of quizzes to assume different rules apply to you.

I'm glad you niece and sister are doing well, btw.

Edit, if ye got only 3 for the second last round ye couldn't have won. We got, iirc, 18 out of the last 20 questions right. Even allowing for double points in the last round and assuming ye got 10 out of 10, that's 23/30 to 26/30. Pretty sure we weren't four questions behind with two rounds to go.

I didn't use the phone during the rounds only between and I clearly left the pub twice to take two calls.

I can assure you that we do not think different rules apply to our team but I can't let someone accuse us of cheating when that simply is not the case. Not only would I not do it but the other members of my team would not allow it, particularly Sceptre.

If we were to monitor every team's use of their phones, which would probably be impossible, then I'm sure you'd find, and I have witnessed, other people using their iPhones and similar. I'd like to assume they are not cheating and are simply texting friends, family or the like. I also really couldn't care less to be honest. It's a pub quiz in a pub which our team frequent aside from the quiz. We go for the craic and because we like the staff and the atmosphere and it's something different to do on a Monday night.

It's my nephew and thanks.

Edit, if ye got only 3 for the second last round ye couldn't have won. We got, iirc, 18 out of the last 20 questions right. Even allowing for double points in the last round and assuming ye got 10 out of 10, that's 23/30 to 26/30. Pretty sure we weren't four questions behind with two rounds to go.

We were 20/25 points ahead (or 4/5 questions in normal rounds) going into the last two rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

not like week one when ur one was waving her phone about and you could see the google logo on the screen. By all accounts got very thick with her mates who were staff afterwards once we all started calling her on how blatant she was being.

zuroph wrote: »
    not like week one when ur one was waving her phone about and you could see the google logo on the screen. By all accounts got very thick with her mates who were staff afterwards once we all started calling her on how blatant she was being.

She was hammered in her defence and they were in last place. I think that was the 2nd week. The first week we were asked to join a team with two girls we didn't know and had a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

We'll have to point the cameras at all the tables...!!!! The ever honerable Champo will be back next week as quizmaster I think!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 champo

We'll have to point the cameras at all the tables...!!!! The ever honerable Champo will be back next week as quizmaster I think!!!!

and the audio round too!!

champo wrote: »

Wahey :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

champo wrote: »

Thank Christ!

See you Monday in that case!

Yes its FREEEEEEEEEEEE.

A Complimentary PINT for all boardies this monday night for the table Quiz. Simply print of your profile on a page and present at the bar for a FREEEEEE PINT to cheer, harass and heckle quizmaster 2000 champo :D:D:D:D

Table Quiz's are the answer to all our problems in life, keep livin the dream!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

What if I register a few times? :) Do I get loads of free pints :D

What if I register a few times? :) Do I get loads of free pints :D

Your being watched!!!! we know where u live:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Nice wan, thanks Ken :D

My printer's packed up and moved, can I just show my profile on the Blackberry? :p

Advertisement