Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Quiz!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Well we can work it out, what ever way the winners want it.... will hopefully be getting it sponsored somehow so will be a keg to take home, taxi for 2 and some steel please!!! or we can do vouchers or something if you wanna come in for the night and have party or something, we might even try organize some grub for the "Sir Keg a Lot Winners"!!!!

Any particlar PC peeps don't worrry, all rules and regs of responsible drinking will be heeded too.

Keep livin the dream...

Paul....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

zuroph wrote: »
    vouchers or a tab usually.

Might be a good prize then. Personally though, I prefer the way it's run at the moment, it just seems easier but time will tell. Good to see they're thinking of new ideas for it though.

Well we can work it out, what ever way the winners want it.... will hopefully be getting it sponsored somehow so will be a keg to take home, taxi for 2 and some steel please!!! or we can do vouchers or something if you wanna come in for the night and have party or something, we might even try organize some grub for the "Sir Keg a Lot Winners"!!!!

Any particlar PC peeps don't worrry, all rules and regs of responsible drinking will be heeded too.

Keep livin the dream...

Paul....

I like the idea of the winners going in for a party and using the keg that way! If ye do run with that idea our team will have to get the brains properly working and win because it's my birthday next month :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Havent made to down but the cheating sounds to be ruining the fun.is it people down to win a quick buck or the same people cheating?

Cant you get boxes that jam phone signal?

How many usernames has O'Connells got going here lol

bigpink wrote: »
    Havent made to down but the cheating sounds to be ruining the fun.is it people down to win a quick buck or the same people cheating?

A box that jam the phones, would have to get onto the communications TD for one of those... you could come in and vet everyone Pink if you wanted to ensure just cause and rules, like a UN post or something

Well since the 2 amigo's have been giving the marching orders, I, the general manager have been givin the honour of being the representative for the quiz...

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »

It's the same people, this team constantly do it. Yeah it does take away from the fun, I know there's money to be won but it should be won fairly and most importantly everyone should have a laugh and a bit of fun at a quiz. Hopefully the cheating will be sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I heard of cinemas using in some countries kinda a box that just weakens the the signal,sorry just an came into my head

Ah its a pity sounded like it was going great the 1st few weeks

maybe get a business account here?think thats possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

How would it be worked out though? A full keg of beer surely can't be drank after the quiz even with four or five people. Isn't there at least 88 pints in a keg or around that figure?
    Between me and Krotchford we'd have it gone in the night ;)

edit: This is the kinda thing they are on about - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stylish-fresco-style-cdma-gsm-dcs-phs-3g-cell-phone-signal-jammer-24235 Although, I'd go with a more expensive one and not one from DX, but just for an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Im presuming you drink the keg in the pub colm. as a bonus prize

Well now that would be good!

It's the same people, this team constantly do it. Yeah it does take away from the fun, I know there's money to be won but it should be won fairly and most importantly everyone should have a laugh and a bit of fun at a quiz. Hopefully the cheating will be sorted.

Yeah and because it's always just the one team that cheat, the 2nd and 3rd place prizes (and best team name) are always up for grabs! WE won 2nd yesterday after coming 4th 3 weeks in a row :)

Also I've noticed best team name always goes to a team not in the top 3... Is this a coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

not true, we've won best team name and cash before.

but we've been bumped out of the lead by that team a few times, which is massively frustrating.

• Advertisement

Between me and Krotchford we'd have it gone in the night ;)

edit: This is the kinda thing they are on about - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stylish-fresco-style-cdma-gsm-dcs-phs-3g-cell-phone-signal-jammer-24235 Although, I'd go with a more expensive one and not one from DX, but just for an example.

Ha ha that's true, it'd be a race to see which one of you would drink the most! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Or how about someone stands at their table and actually kicks em out if they use their phone.

Or how about someone stands at their table and actually kicks em out if they use their phone.

Thatd be idea you see :rolleyes:

After reading the post's i think that we'll have to bring in a new sheriff to patrol the pub for the next few weeks until we get this sorted, its mean't to be a fun way to enjoy a monday night so hopefully we can put it back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Sounds good. Hope ye follow through with it. Considering the level of difficulty this week, the winning score (and the margin of victory) was just totally unbelievable.

AlanOB wrote: »
    the winning score (and the margin of victory) was just totally unbelievable.

Yeah, the difference between us (second place) and the winners was like 60 points, and then skin of teeth job for all other positions, that should have been the first clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Yeah, the difference between us (second place) and the winners was like 60 points, and then skin of teeth job for all other positions, that should have been the first clue!

I don't know about that, sometimes you get teams that win by 12 clear questions, can just be luck of the draw. I'm sticking by my story from last week though, checked with other team-mates, he (too) is absolutely certain of what he saw.

I don't know about that, sometimes you get teams that win by 12 clear questions, can just be luck of the draw. I'm sticking by my story from last week though, checked with other team-mates, he (too) is absolutely certain of what he saw.

Not to mention, a member had said it to a few of our team members that they are using their phones.

Not to mention, a member had said it to a few of our team members that they are using their phones.

We'll have um this week and be a ready with the sticks!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Really? Wtf.

Is it always the same team or what?

Really? Wtf.

Is it always the same team or what?

We've been onto Criminal Minds for help, there's no escape this week!!!!

We'll poison them off with the finger food during the break!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

So once again the first place prize goes to the phone users! Good to see cheating doesn't get noticed in case somebody wants to grab a quick buck!
    Woah, hang on a second now.

Firstly you're referring to the team that I'm on. Which makes me a little peeved. Secondly, I can personally guarantee that there were no phones being used, out or in hand by the team I'm on during rounds. I know this because I made sure of it by watching all of my teammates on Monday for fear that some idiotic remark could be made (because while I won't expect to win the thing in any given week, based on past history it's a reasonable possibility - I at least expect us to do competently). Of course, I shouldn't have to do that, but I did anyway. There are one or two teams hopping out during rounds with their phones and coming back in before they've handed up their answer sheet but not on my team. I'll win or lose fairly or not at all. Having been on three different teams and having won a number of the Monday quizzes with each of those teams, it's a good ethos.

While I resent the implication (and removing part of my fun in taking part in a quiz on Mondays if I have to watch my own teammates merely for your benefit instead of all of the gooey grey thing in my head (such as it is) spent answering questions and having a laugh, which is why I'm actually there), given that I *know* that your slur is completely incorrect, I'll just slot it into sour grapes, which is, frankly put, your issue, not mine. You're entirely incorrect and you need some better online manners or at least a clue, dude.

Additionally, the winning margin was 30, not 60 if I recall correctly. The winning team got 240, second place was 210. Third (I think) was 180 and after that it was something like 160, 150... I can't help it if the team you're on is the Buzz Aldrin of table quizzes.

Now, dealing with another thing, that marketing round (as I've dubbed it) was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in a table/pub quiz anywhere (and while it's been a few years since I've done table quizzes, I used to do them an awful lot). While John (who I gather was setting the quiz questions for the first few months) actually understood that the ethos of a table quiz is for teams to have a good time trying to work out or remember answers to questions (some easier, some harder resulting in both a good spread of scores and, more importantly, very few teams going away feeling like idiots, which is also good business sense for the following week), whoever decided that virtually an entire round based on acronyms taken from whatever chapter of "Marketing for dummies" fell off the shelf that morning when they hadn't time to do an extra round of general knowledge should be beaten to death with their own shoes.

There are competent teams that have come almost last with 240 points in previous weeks. Assuming that the highest possible score is either 450 or 500, a well-crafted quiz (as we've had in many previous weeks) would yield such a result - the worst team should get about half of the possible score while the best team should get 80-95% of the possible score. The bottom team on Monday night scored 80 out of a possible 450 (IIRC there was another team who finished on 90 and another at 110). They're unlikely to come back. And if you're running a quiz in a bar, that's not really the result you want to get. Hence, whoever set the questions on Monday night should really get whoever used to set the questions to do it instead as they appear to have understood the point far better. Any pub quiz with a max score of 450 and actual scores of 240 down to 80, assuming a reasonably regular scatter of people participating, is just badly designed and the better question-setter that used to be there should be dragged back. Normally it's a great quiz and it's great it's on (it also gets me out of the flat on a Monday evening) and kudos to the O'Connell's gang (honestly!) for having it as it adds something good to Limerick city on a Monday night on but last Monday's questions were obviously mainly set by someone who doesn't get it. It's usually better. Please make it better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

sceptre wrote: »
    There are one or two teams hopping out during rounds with their phones and coming back in before they've handed up their answer sheet but not on my team. I'll win or lose fairly or not at all.

Just to add to what Sceptre has said; We purposefully put our phones out of any reach except for showing the bar staff our boards log in page in order to get our free pint. Mine was safely locked, literally, in my bag for the night and was brought out during the break and at the end. It was interesting to note however that other teams, while not officially breaking the rules, did go outside the pub during the hardest round (in which we scored a grand total of 10 out of a possible 50) used their phones and came back in. Saying that they did well in that round is an understatement.

A member of our team has told you that we use our phones to cheat? Really? Leaving aside that what you're saying is nothing short of delusional do you think that anyone in their right mind would admit to cheating to a fellow competitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clever_bastard

I'm jumping in here because I've been a member of the so-called "cheating" team on a number of occasions and I do not appreciate being labelled a cheater.

Having read through the thread, it seems to me that there are a number of people here who are upset because they either don't have the brains or the amounts of useless trivia squirrelled away that this team does.

Sorry, but if you are so upset with the result of a pub table quiz that you feel the need to label the winners cheaters, than I have some bad news for you - the world is filled with people who are smarter and more experienced than you are, and you can either accept that and move on, or you can put in the time and effort to try and catch up with them.

Any night that I've been there, I've felt no need to cheat because of the quality of the team that I've been on. Each member of the team has a different area of interest, and we work well to compliment each others lack of knowledge in different subjects. After all, that is the whole point of a team, to work together to support each other to achieve a common purpose.

I suggest that instead of wasting your time on boards flinging baseless accusations, you spend some time on Wikipedia/ Google/ at your local library and increase your general knowledge. Read some books, watch documentaries, develop a curiosity about the world around you. Once you've done that, then you might have some chance at catching up with our team.

Or would you prefer to throw your toys out of the cot and scream "cheater" because you can't keep up?

Best of luck next week!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm jumping in here because I've been a member of the so-called "cheating" team on a number of occasions and I do not appreciate being labelled a cheater.

Having read through the thread, it seems to me that there are a number of people here who are upset because they either don't have the brains or the amounts of useless trivia squirrelled away that this team does.

Sorry, but if you are so upset with the result of a pub table quiz that you feel the need to label the winners cheaters, than I have some bad news for you - the world is filled with people who are smarter and more experienced than you are, and you can either accept that and move on, or you can put in the time and effort to try and catch up with them.

Any night that I've been there, I've felt no need to cheat because of the quality of the team that I've been on. Each member of the team has a different area of interest, and we work well to compliment each others lack of knowledge in different subjects. After all, that is the whole point of a team, to work together to support each other to achieve a common purpose.

I suggest that instead of wasting your time on boards flinging baseless accusations, you spend some time on Wikipedia/ Google/ at your local library and increase your general knowledge. Read some books, watch documentaries, develop a curiosity about the world around you. Once you've done that, then you might have some chance at catching up with our team.

Or would you prefer to throw your toys out of the cot and scream "cheater" because you can't keep up?

Best of luck next week!

If you're going to play the high horse card, you should really proof-read your posts. ;)

Any night that I've been there, I've felt no need to cheat because of the quality of the team that I've been on. Each member of the team has a different area of interest, and we work well to compliment each others lack of knowledge in different subjects.

We also have Sceptre on our team who is by all standards a mine of useless/useful information and the sole reason we do well some nights!
    If you're going to play the high horse card, you should really proof-read your posts. ;)

Ha well spotted. I think one word is acceptable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

boo down with grammer nazis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

krochford wrote: »
    boo down with grammer nazis

Tell your quiz-master to put a spellings, grammar and linguistics round in next week. :D

Advertisement