Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Quiz!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

Tell your quiz-master to put a spellings, grammar and linguistics round in next week. :D

We had one a few weeks ago with synonyms. It was not easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anger nectar

To say that we, the winning team had to have cheated because of a large victory margin is ridiculous. It just makes you look like more of a fool and a childish, petty fool at that.

I'm not defending myself here. There were members of my team that were so bothered by these slanderous accusations that it caused infighting because a phone was left on the table between rounds when questions were not being asked.

Yes, we have a tendancy to win, so much so that we are very aware that we have come under scrutiny for it. I invite you to sit close to us next time, we sit at the same table every week, so that you can better see us not cheating.

Don't sit too close though, people tend to copy our answers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Calm it down, please. No need to gang up on other posters here.

Calm it down, please. No need to gang up on other posters here.

Respectfully,I'm pretty sure we're the ones who were being ganged up on and being accused of cheating!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

It's a quiz, a bit of fun, some of the comments here are getting very heated, I can see alot of people getting very uptight about this. The fact of the matter is it's up to the organisers of an event to ensure that the rules of the event are adhered to, not for people to come on here to have a slagging match about.

Personally I would enjoy a quiz on a Monday, especially when there's free beer thanks to being a member of boards. If you aren't enjoying the quiz, don't go, if you think there's someone cheating, REPORT IT don't come onto the internet complaining about it.

Margin of victory is never a measure of cheating btw.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Folks,

It's a quiz, a bit of fun, some of the comments here are getting very heated, I can see alot of people getting very uptight about this. The fact of the matter is it's up to the organisers of an event to ensure that the rules of the event are adhered to, not for people to come on here to have a slagging match about.

Personally I would enjoy a quiz on a Monday, especially when there's free beer thanks to being a member of boards. If you aren't enjoying the quiz, don't go, if you think there's someone cheating, REPORT IT don't come onto the internet complaining about it.

Margin of victory is never a measure of cheating btw.

Well said! It's what I said last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Unfortunately, where people post nasty things about other people on the Internet, the people of whom nasty things have been posted have a tendency to get narky back. Call a group of people cheaters and they'll get aggrieved. Especially if, like me, your boards username is easily linked with who you are and vice versa. I reckon some of the comments posted back at the accusers have indeed been at or over the line (I don't particularly see a need for ego - while having a Variety headline about Arthur Miller being an egghead tucked somewhere in one's head turns out in the end to be useful, there's always an element of luck in the way the questions fall, even if that luck is repeatedly lucky - modesty/humbleness is good) but while unfortunately some people are innocently judging comments made to be true, one or two people actually seem to be intent on accusation through making things up and honestly seem to be pissed at losing (seriously - the "a member of the team told someone on our team..."? Lads, get real. Whoever posted that, the guy who told you that lied. There's your wackydoodle person).

And as anger nectar said (or put more politely than was necessary), I got narky on Monday because there was a phone on our table in a part of the evening when the quiz wasn't running. Too unreasonably narky. Because I feared that there was going to be one person who was going to try and make an issue of that based on last week, even though there couldn't be an issue made of it. And I shouldn't have to do that or feel that I have to, certainly not with people I like who aren't doing anything wrongLike everyone else doing the thing, I'm at the quiz for a good social night out. Being more personal than I should be, I'm also doing the quiz because my memory is nowhere near as good as it used to be and I find that doing the odd quiz (or occasionally playing Buzz on the PS2) really helps with that -that's something that's good for me whether we win or come last. Stop sucking the fun out of the universe. You can sit on my lap during the whole quiz to make sure there's nothing dodgy going on but you'd better be pretty.

Unless there's something else, I'm not sure I can add anything useful to this thread... It's still a good quiz though, a good night out in a good bar on a Monday night when you're probably doing nothing else - apologies to the O'Connells people who have had to sit through this Internet self-sustaining circle of accusation.

Oh and if you're on boards (and if you're reading this you are) and you feel like coming over and saying hi, please do. Being sociable is a good thing, not a crime:)

(note: I posted this before Clareman's remarks above. He's right, you know)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have an image of spectre in my head now

00042ae5-314.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anger nectar

Invitataions to sit on my lap for the duration of the quiz are going out too but there is a vetting process.

Dudes need not apply.

ha ha ha ha ha Clareman Sceptre looks nothing like that but nice try! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

but ye do admit to one of the team cheating week one or two. How much did ye win that week?

edit: screw it, nevermind. thread is going round in circles. points been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clever_bastard

zuroph wrote: »
    but ye do admit to one of the team cheating week one or two. How much did ye win that week?

*Reading comprehension fail*

Please try again.

No. I have no idea where you got that idea. The girls behind us were cheating week 1 with the flashing her phone with Google clearly up on it but not any team I've been on. Our team changed in week 2.

Nevermind. a lot of people questioning the sightings of phones, not neccessarily talking about the same team. It always surprises me how long teams are given to hand up their sheet, you'll always notice the same team time and time again being called on to hand up their sheet, always the last to do so. (not any specific team, but on a week to week basis there's always a suspiciously slow team, who then remarkably get 50 in that round)

Its a good quiz, but the fun was taken out of it weeks ago for us because we know we're getting shafted by some others, and not enough was being done to stop it. We gave out the first few weeks, but after that we gave up, no1 wants to be the moaners each week.

Nevermind. a lot of people questioning the sightings of phones, not neccessarily talking about the same team. It always surprises me how long teams are given to hand up their sheet, you'll always notice the same team time and time again being called on to hand up their sheet, always the last to do so. (not any specific team, but on a week to week basis there's always a suspiciously slow team, who then remarkably get 50 in that round)

Well that's definitely not us. We're usually first to hand ours up because we sit right outside the door.
    Its a good quiz, but the fun was taken out of it weeks ago for us because we know we're getting shafted by some others, and not enough was being done to stop it. We gave out the first few weeks, but after that we gave up, no1 wants to be the moaners each week.

Nobody said anything to us about cheating. If they had then this whole unwarranted unfounded slagging match could have been avoided. We have NEVER cheated and would have had no problem proving it when the 'issue' first arose.

Well that's definitely not us. We're usually first to hand ours up because we sit right outside the door.

Nobody said anything to us about cheating. If they had then this whole unwarranted unfounded slagging match could have been avoided. We have NEVER cheated and would have had no problem proving it when the 'issue' first arose.

suzie, I've a feeling some people are talking about different teams and not the same one. there was one group would sit around the back who were always very late to hand up for example. theres another who sit a bit further down outside traditionally, but I havent gone in a few weeks now so I dont know if they're still present. that group got 3 50s in a row and were last to hand up by a good few minutes each round until one of us handed up early then went for a smoke beside them. funnily enough, that round they got 30.

I'm not saying its you thats cheating, but there is teams there regularily doing it, and getting in the money too.

suzie, I've a feeling some people are talking about different teams and not the same one. there was one group would sit around the back who were always very late to hand up for example. theres another who sit a bit further down outside traditionally, but I havent gone in a few weeks now so I dont know if they're still present. that group got 3 50s in a row and were last to hand up by a good few minutes each round until one of us handed up early then went for a smoke beside them. funnily enough, that round they got 30.

I'm not saying its you thats cheating, but there is teams there regularily doing it, and getting in the money too.

Well it has been specifically targeted at us being that people have directed it at the winning team for the last two weeks which has been us. We can't offer any more explanation than what we have. I would reiterate what the lads have said earlier. Feel free to come and sit with us and you'll see there's nothing untoward going on. In fact we're one short this Monday coming so feel free to join the team if you wish. (Sceptre said to qualify that with "only if you're good looking")

Well it has been specifically targeted at us being that people have directed it at the winning team for the last two weeks which has been us. We can't offer any more explanation than what we have. I would reiterate what the lads have said earlier. Feel free to come and sit with us and you'll see there's nothing untoward going on. In fact we're one short this Monday coming so feel free to join the team if you wish. (Sceptre said to qualify that with "only if you're good looking")

That's Zuroph out then :p

Im very good looking, but not sceptres type. ;)

I havent been there the last two weeks, so dont know who people are talking about. Will see if I make it to it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I hope people aren't cheating in future but I've seen people walking in and out of the jacks with their phones in their hands during rounds. dunno whether they are from the same team or not but it happens. I think a closer eye needs to be kept on the outside teams. It's getting annoying now because we just wanna test our knowledge (dont really care about the prize money as much as cheap pints and a bit of craic) but it really ruins it for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,071 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone got any good links to G.K. Quiz questions and answers for teenagers of 15 to 18 years ?
    Would appreciate it for the youth club. Running out of them.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

In fact we're one short this Monday coming so feel free to join the team if you wish. (Sceptre said to qualify that with "only if you're good looking")

Oooh! I'll be on your team. Not sitting on Sceptre's lap though, even though I'm a ride. Sorry, dude :)

now Froodie IS a nerd, no beating that team, might as well not go :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

An idea.....get a roll of like label stickers that everyone has to put over the keypad of there phone,they could still answer but googling would be hard and you can see if the label was ripped off....like a shop seal

Sounds like the fun of it is ruined and gone and with people registering just to fight it aint good

just makes it more competitive ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

bigpink wrote: »
    An idea.....get a roll of like label stickers that everyone has to put over the keypad of there phone,they could still answer but googling would be hard and you can see if the label was ripped off....like a shop seal

At first I thought "Hmmm good idea..." but then I realised you'd be picking sticky residue off the keys of your phone for a week after, so that's a no from me on that proposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

just makes it more competitive ;)

What you think Z, we go back and show them what's for?

quiz team assemble!

• Advertisement

At first I thought "Hmmm good idea..." but then I realised you'd be picking sticky residue off the keys of your phone for a week after, so that's a no from me on that proposal

Not really you can get easy peel labels it would do no damage to a phone....or use a snappy plastic bag:Dthat way ud see people opening them

Advertisement