Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Quiz!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, quite true! A fair win was had last night, no doubt about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

Was a good night. We came second. The team that came first were very good& had an excellent score though don't remember them being in it before though I could be wrong! Fair play because there was some tricky questions in there.

Bit annoying when you have to correct the quizmasters answers though ;)

There was no toy throwing merely someone asserting their right to correct someone who was blatantly wrong. An apology from said "victim" of the ranting would've been nice but howsoever you can't always get what you want :D

Roll on next week!

Was a good night. We came second. The team that came first were very good& had an excellent score though don't remember them being in it before though I could be wrong! Fair play because there was some tricky questions in there.

I reckon they're actually teachers... You know how those types are with general knowledge
    Bit annoying when you have to correct the quizmasters answers though ;)

Ah it was her first time... She didn't do too badly lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm starting to think this thread really needs photographs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Clareman wrote: »

We can supply a camera, yes Quiz mistress Shelly ( shipped in from the Annacotty Dept) is currently undergoing "Pub Quiz" tutorial part 1 in preparation for next week unless le Champ puts something in her soup it will be a close contest on who rolls out the Q's........

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »

You mean like these?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.107332399351391.15650.100002238956276

We can supply a camera, yes Quiz mistress Shelly (shipped in from the Annacotty Dept) is currently undergoing "Pub Quiz" tutorial part 1 in preparation for next week unless le Champ puts something in her soup it will be a close contest on who rolls out the Q's........

Is the weather not a bit humid for soup?

Is the weather not a bit humid for soup?

not a light tomato, ok something else to kill her off before monday evening!!!

not a light tomato, ok something else to kill her off before monday evening!!!

Remind me... Why do we want to kill her again?

Remind me... Why do we want to kill her again?

Champo may so he doesn't loose the throne,,, no one else wants to!!!!

Any ideas for new rounds???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Just a FYI - the winning team was 'The Lawn Rangers' from what I know they are a group of teachers, Seen them there a few times and at a few other quizes, they seem to go to most of 'em around.

Just a FYI - the winning team was 'The Lawn Rangers' from what I know they are a group of teachers, Seen them there a few times and at a few other quizes, they seem to go to most of 'em around.

And they were searched for books and cog notes on the way in so the lynching party was called off!!!!

If only there was someone that could take some professional pictures in relation to the post above,,,,, achmmmmmm xiled!!!!!!!

And they were searched for books and cog notes on the way in so the lynching party was called off!!!!

If only there was someone that could take some professional pictures in relation to the post above,,,,, achmmmmmm xiled!!!!!!!

If your looking for photos on a Quiz night, Gimmie a text or a call during the week and I'll bring my camera on Monday :P

If your looking for photos on a Quiz night, Gimmie a text or a call during the week and I'll bring my camera on Monday :P

We know cash is king but we pay in beer!!!!!

We know cash is king but we pay in beer!!!!!

Good thing I still believe in barter!

Good thing I still believe in barter!

Boo Money!!!! Wait, that's not right!

On the subject of rounds why not have a Harry Potter round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I don't want to trawl too far back but can you tell me what night of the week and time this quiz commences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mondays 9pm

On the subject of rounds why not have a Harry Potter round?

Me and my big mouth fingers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Harry Potter Round didn't go down well at our table! I think a whole round of questions on one very specific topic like that is a tad unfair. You're basically excluding any team that doesn't possess a nerd on that particular subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

Same as the Simpson's round the week before though which we did really really **** it so have to take the good with the bad.

Yes something along the lines of "movies" "music" or "tv shows" would be way more fair as somebody might know bits and pieces etc!

Or what about a memory round... Show each team a series of questions/photos/names/dates/facebook-usernames (maybe 100 or so) with the answers beside them then take the sheets off them after a minute and ask them for 10 of the answers! Now that would be an interesting round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few thoughts on last week's quiz.

The questions are rather more balanced than they were for a few weeks, which is good. Kudos on that - you're heading the right way again, the last two weeks have been a big improvement. There were a few questions with multiple answers (like the question about who Harry Potter took with him to the Department of Mysteries, which required a list of about seven names). I'd avoid that in future if I were organising it - it's hassle to answer and probably a nightmare to correct, especially if you're splitting the points for such an answer. The odd question requiring two things in the answer, fine. A few questions requiring three or more (including half a dozen) things in the answer, avoid those questions like the plague if you can. Too much hassle at the marking end as well. One item in the answer, maybe two - get the right answer or both required answers and you get marks, get less than the full answer and you get nothing. Black and white is the simple approach.

The picture round with the buildings/landmarks was different, good and fun. Probably didn't need to do so many from a satellite view but it was a nice fresh idea so well done there.

As for the Harry Potter round, well it is current with the new movie out. Just as valid as the Simpsons round the previous week (and probably more so with the amount of airtime devoted to it in recent weeks). It wasn't as though it was an entire round devoted to walkon cameos in the Avengers or companions of the fourth doctor in Doctor Who and what they were wearing (or even Bond villians, which would be just as valid a round as the Simpsons/Harry Potter). Then again, I think they're probably a bit precise and narrow in scope, even though it's not as though the HP round asked for the names of all members of Dumbledore's family. I'd probably dump that sort of round to be honest, even though I find them interesting.

There are tonnes of general topics that exist though if you want to continue a round like that though - movies, oscar winners, literature characters, modern Irish history, TV shows made by ITV that aren't crap (that's a very short list though), name the artist of a painting, whatever. It would probably be more fun for teams though if you took a few categories and rather than having a speciality round, mixed the questions together over a few weeks. Which is sort of what you're doing with the other rounds I guess but anyhoo:) The odd quirky round is good though, adds to the fun - that wordplay round or whatever it was a few weeks ago was great, though I'm sure it's a nightmare thinking of a different quirky round for every week so they're more of an occasional thing. The odd few more questions about current things would be good - it's a staple of most quizzes (Darren Clarke won the open yesterday, Sideshow BobRebekah Brooks got arrested, I'm sure a few other things happened last week)

The "memory" round is a cute idea but nothing to do with a table/pub quiz - about as relevant to what a pub quiz is as a quick round of Mah Jong or a run around the block. Also, from a practical point of view, it's nuts to mark as it'll take ages and there's nothing stopping any or all teams from using the pen and paper which they conveniently have to write down the answers and reproduce them on demand. Totally impractical. There's a reason, after all, that table/pub quizzes generally follow the "we ask questions or give you a picture/audio/video round, your team writes down the answers, we mark the answers..." format.

That's a general thumbs-up and a kudos from me. Try to avoid making mistakes in the official answers though, leaving the teams to tell the quizmaster that he/she's got the wrong answer - I know it takes time to check answers but at least it was only one last week whereas it was three-ish the week before. Happens on occasion in fairness. Still a good thumbs-up to what you're doing.

sceptre wrote: »
    TV shows made by ITV that aren't crap (that's a very short list though)

Such tv programmes exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

Such tv programmes exist?

Morse, perhaps??? :D

Ho Sceptre,

many thanks for the detailed and time spent blog. its actually quite hard to come up with new questions, ideas, rounds etc every week for the quiz, not making any excuses at all just a point.

Will take all on board and try avoid any mistakes....

Chat soon and again many thanks for the time and support.

Pauli!!!!

sceptre wrote: »
    A few thoughts on last week's quiz.

The questions are rather more balanced than they were for a few weeks, which is good. Kudos on that - you're heading the right way again, the last two weeks have been a big improvement. There were a few questions with multiple answers (like the question about who Harry Potter took with him to the Department of Mysteries, which required a list of about seven names). I'd avoid that in future if I were organising it - it's hassle to answer and probably a nightmare to correct, especially if you're splitting the points for such an answer. The odd question requiring two things in the answer, fine. A few questions requiring three or more (including half a dozen) things in the answer, avoid those questions like the plague if you can. Too much hassle at the marking end as well. One item in the answer, maybe two - get the right answer or both required answers and you get marks, get less than the full answer and you get nothing. Black and white is the simple approach.

The picture round with the buildings/landmarks was different, good and fun. Probably didn't need to do so many from a satellite view but it was a nice fresh idea so well done there.

As for the Harry Potter round, well it is current with the new movie out. Just as valid as the Simpsons round the previous week (and probably more so with the amount of airtime devoted to it in recent weeks). It wasn't as though it was an entire round devoted to walkon cameos in the Avengers or companions of the fourth doctor in Doctor Who and what they were wearing (or even Bond villians, which would be just as valid a round as the Simpsons/Harry Potter). Then again, I think they're probably a bit precise and narrow in scope, even though it's not as though the HP round asked for the names of all members of Dumbledore's family. I'd probably dump that sort of round to be honest, even though I find them interesting.

There are tonnes of general topics that exist though if you want to continue a round like that though - movies, oscar winners, literature characters, modern Irish history, TV shows made by ITV that aren't crap (that's a very short list though), name the artist of a painting, whatever. It would probably be more fun for teams though if you took a few categories and rather than having a speciality round, mixed the questions together over a few weeks. Which is sort of what you're doing with the other rounds I guess but anyhoo:) The odd quirky round is good though, adds to the fun - that wordplay round or whatever it was a few weeks ago was great, though I'm sure it's a nightmare thinking of a different quirky round for every week so they're more of an occasional thing. The odd few more questions about current things would be good - it's a staple of most quizzes (Darren Clarke won the open yesterday, Sideshow BobRebekah Brooks got arrested, I'm sure a few other things happened last week)

The "memory" round is a cute idea but nothing to do with a table/pub quiz - about as relevant to what a pub quiz is as a quick round of Mah Jong or a run around the block. Also, from a practical point of view, it's nuts to mark as it'll take ages and there's nothing stopping any or all teams from using the pen and paper which they conveniently have to write down the answers and reproduce them on demand. Totally impractical. There's a reason, after all, that table/pub quizzes generally follow the "we ask questions or give you a picture/audio/video round, your team writes down the answers, we mark the answers..." format.

That's a general thumbs-up and a kudos from me. Try to avoid making mistakes in the official answers though, leaving the teams to tell the quizmaster that he/she's got the wrong answer - I know it takes time to check answers but at least it was only one last week whereas it was three-ish the week before. Happens on occasion in fairness. Still a good thumbs-up to what you're doing.

Last night was good crack! Especially liked the superhero round!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Excellent quiz last night. Good range of questions and any themed rounds were general enough to still seem fair on everyone. The superhero and sports movies rounds were very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Is 18 old enough to go into O'Connells for the quiz?

• Advertisement

RHunce wrote: »
    Is 18 old enough to go into O'Connells for the quiz?

Yes... Especially if you can bring a crowd of horny 18 yr old females with you :p

Advertisement