Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to attach a downloadable link in a promotional email.

Options
  • 05-04-2011 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A quick one. I would like to put together a promotional email for a band, but want to include an mp3 embedded in the email, that could be downloaded.

I know I could send a link for something like Bandcamp, but don't want to let the song be downloaded indefinitely. Say for example,give someone a "private" link to download. The email would be sent to radio stations,with a link for them to download...

Not sure if this should be in the music forum, but here is as good as any...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

If you know any techie guys who'd deal with website hosting, they should be able to FTP it somewhere on a site for you and give you the link for it. That'd give a direct download link for the file.

It'd be something along the lines of www.domain.com/song.mp3

Good luck :)

Edit: Might be a thought to register the bands .com name (<€10) and set up a cheap hosting package. Planning ahead bla bla bla ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I see what you mean Bawnmore. Yeah, that could work. I'll suss it out. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do not embed the file. It's quite possible that it could be stripped out by some ISPs. Once that happens it's gone. There might also be filesize problems. Much better to provide the link in the email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Speaking from experience...

Radio stations would prefer a link as attachments fill up mailboxes quickly and you might fall victim to an over zealous mailbox purge,

If you are looking for airplay you need to have a high quality file available. Most radio play out systems use WAVs. You might want to consider having 2 options available - a good quality MP3 that can be downloaded so the track can be previewed and a WAV available should somebody want to broadcast it.

Make sure your files have all the meta data included and you should have all the copyright information available on your site. Every broadcaster has to be a return to IMRO - make it easy for them to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cheers,

Yeah. I used to work in radio part time, and get in CDs! lol..... not too long ago.

Yeah, I'm in 2 minds on how to do it: Attach an mp3/wav to a promo email or send a link where they can download it.

The danger in sending attachments is they go straight to the spam folder.

I think creating a link with some kind of login where only those who receive the email can download it would be the way.

I'm not sure if something like bandcamp provides this........

• Advertisement
Advertisement