Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDR ...

• 05-04-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Some 1st attempts at HDR, these are more practice shots, not to bothered about composition etc ..

I used a tripod and a 2 sec delay yet still seems a bit regular, also nothing like other HDR i see.

any tips on how to get that HDR effect ?? like the last one ...

I use AEB (3 shots on 5dII) on Ap. priority....

5590033479_79a1a8ffe3_b.jpg

5590604596_f7dbbf6967_b.jpg

Proper HDR ..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xnuzha/461797916/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

If you're using Photomatix, drop the light smoothing setting to the lower end of the scale and crank the strength way up.

I don't recommend it though, you'll introduce lots of halos and in my opinion it looks ****e.

For decent HDR you really only need to adjust those two settings, but not to the extremes I mentioned above. Leave the rest alone, seriously. Your image should leave Photomatix looking fairly flat and dull, but with a lot of dynamic range in the exposure.

Export to Lightroom/Photoshop/whatever to add contrast, color and saturation adjustments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

It also looks like that picture was shot around the middle of the day so there aren't lots of shadows/contrast. I.e. the actual range of tones is quite small. People use HDR in order to bring out really dark areas and really light areas in the same picture that would normally over or under-expose.

Try shooting really early or really late and look for a scene/subject with lots of contrasting light and dark areas. That'll give the software a lot more range to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I agreed regarding the mid day comment. The light does seem very harsh. I think you will get much better soft lighting if you go for early/late in the day.

Also i find that having clouds in a HDR shot often really add to it. So all you need to do now is reposition the clouds and you'll be away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Sounds like you've hit your 'HDR hole' :)

photographer-graph-1024x858.png

It's just a phase though, so not to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Heh!

That chart is pretty spot on, although i do believe the "Dammit I Suck" transition is way too smooth in the recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Love the graph, but 1st tripod just before HDR no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Blast ! I'm in the dammit I suck*, don't like the looks of that blue line till death though.

the_monkey, I'm not a big HDR fan, and not at all an expert, but would black and white serve the pic better, make it more HDR-y ? That orange is very flat and the blue distractingly strong for me. And then there's the greenish of the little scale yokes.

edit : *actually maybe more all I shoot is bad hadn't read whole graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

iamstop wrote: »
    Love the graph, but 1st tripod just before HDR no?

No. I've tried it without a tripod. ...and I bet I'm not alone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hehe cheers, that graph is great !! :D

I will try more at later/earlier times of the day and see what I get..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

• Advertisement
Advertisement