Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Laptop

Options
  • 05-04-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭

May not be the right place to post, but with all the PC gamers here i think it might be better for my purpose.

About 4 years ago, i splashed out and got an XPS M1710. yes, it was probably way overpriced for what i got, but i was ignorant and didn't know any different. However, it has played most games for me without major hitch. But i feel there is more i can do to get more out of it.

I recently had to replace the motherboard due to charging issues, and my mate done a complete overhaul about a year ago, formatting and re-installing only the essentials. She's running XP Pro, 4Gb (3.25) RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, nVidia GeForce Go 7950GTX.

I've heard of people over-clocking these, but also heard of severe overheating on them (take the "Lap" out of the name, has to be on a solid surface for fear of scalding the legs!).

So, is there any more i can do? I know i can't upgrade the motherboard, as they discontinued this line shortly after i bought it (:mad:).

Also, in terms of Graphical Ability, is the Graphcis Card i have still competitive? Or am i looking at pre-2011 games struggling? (Crysis permanently excluded!)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey man, the lads in the Overclocking and Modding board might be able to help you on this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=85

In my last tech support job, when people said their laptop was burning their legs, we would have to say they are a notebook and not meant for your lap :rolleyes: However, having it on your lap can block the ventilation and clothes materials can get in where they shouldn't so there's some sense to it. If you're worried about overheating, I would def recommend getting a 'notebook' tray thingy, I picked one up for a fiver in home store and more, essential for gaming on the lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could look into replacing the disc drive with an SSD, because DVD drives are useless tbh, and SSD is a viable upgrade path.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

nVidia GeForce Go 7950GTX.

According to notebookcheck, your card can handle crysis on low settings, so its seems pretty good still. You might use system requirements lab if you have a specific game you want to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How hard is changing a laptop's graphics card? I have a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 in my Vaio but wouldn't mind getting something beefier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

How hard is changing a laptop's graphics card? I have a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 in my Vaio but wouldn't mind getting something beefier.

Very difficult, if not impossible. Frequently the card will be integrated into the motherboard, or if not, then it may be shaped to fit that machine specifically. Next to no manufacturers sell replacement/upgrade GPUs either, so even if it were doable, sourcing one to upgrade to would be difficult. It's for this reason that some companies at one point were pitching external GFX solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i wouldn't overclock it either as those 1710's were notorious for overheating even without OCing
    there's not much you can do to increase it's effiency just try and play games from the past few years or games geared to work well on a low end pc such as console conversions

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You could look into replacing the disc drive with an SSD, because DVD drives are useless tbh, and SSD is a viable upgrade path.
    Not viable for a 4 year old brick it isn't.

Your laptop has years of useful life in it, but not for gaming. Relegate it to 2D tasks like playing movies where it can retire comfortably and think about getting a new machine to do what you want. You can rule out playing new games at intended settings. Laptop graphics are rarely if ever competitive even when they're new. 4 years later certainly not. At least if you invest in a desktop now you can be reasonably sure you'd only need to replace the graphics card in it a few years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cheers for all the replies peoples!

@sheehy83: Even if it's left on a perfectly flat table it still scalds the table!

@Mark Hammil: I'l keep a note of that for future game purchases!

@skerries: I was thinking that myself, just would be a shame to let a €2.5k monster go to waste!

@Overheal: I knew when buying it that it wouldn't last as long as i wanted, but i'm still relatively happy it's still going 4 years on, considering the gaming abuse i gave it in the first 2 years! Would love to get a Desktop, have one picked out and all from Alienware, but i think it's hopeful wishing, estimated price is $6595!!! Thats without a monitor, but i'd be hooking it up to the tv anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

@Overheal: I knew when buying it that it wouldn't last as long as i wanted, but i'm still relatively happy it's still going 4 years on, considering the gaming abuse i gave it in the first 2 years! Would love to get a Desktop, have one picked out and all from Alienware, but i think it's hopeful wishing, estimated price is $6595!!! Thats without a monitor, but i'd be hooking it up to the tv anyway.

If you buy a 'normal' desktop - normal meaning a non-alienware one from any number of sources - for under a grand you'd build a savage machine (or have one built for you) that would rip any game apart. God, even my own current machine is fairly lightweight with a value of about 500-600 euro and it plays Crysis 2 and similar on high settings. With Alienware you're paying absolutely ludocrious money for the brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

^^ what he said

look at the building and upgrading forum as they will spec you a great pc custom built to your spec with all the bells and whistles you will ever need built and delivered for a fraction of that price
    have a look at my sig as that has a high end pc that is way more powerful than games need and it cost me about €1600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Would love to get a Desktop, have one picked out and all from Alienware, but i think it's hopeful wishing, estimated price is $6595!!! Thats without a monitor, but i'd be hooking it up to the tv anyway.
    silly. we were selling an open box ASUS laptop, gaming grade, glowy keyboard, it had a Core i7, an HD 6850 6GB of RAM and other stuff, got 7.3+ on all but the HDD score on windows experience, and we were selling it off for $999. It was certainly not still on our shelf when I got back from my weekend.

Advertisement