Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake or Funeral

Options
  • 06-04-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Without wishing to sound morbid, do people prefer you to turn up at the wake or the funeral [of their deceased loved one] assuming that you cannot attend both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

annascott wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound morbid, do people prefer you to turn up at the wake or the funeral [of their deceased loved one] assuming that you cannot attend both?

wake if you know the family well, better to show your face. If not a handshake at the funeral would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Bit of an odd topic..

From a personal point of view I'd prefer the funeral as I dont like seeing dead bodies (youthful memory) but from a respect point of view I'd attend a wake ahead of a funeral, a wake is obviously a more personal way of paying your respects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Reason that I am asking is I have to go pay my respects when a friend has a death in his/her family. If it is not a close friend, but someone who I see for lunch or coffee a few times a year, I would have thought that being seen at the funeral would be enough. However I have had 'off vibes' recently from a friend and have been told by others that it looks bad if the wake is not visited. If I have never been to the persons home anyway, I would have thought that the wake was too personal and invasive.

Not being brought up with the wake culture, I'm not sure that I understand it and wanted opinion from others. Really not being morbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A lot of people attend both the wake and the funeral. I have been to many wakes where I didnt know the deceased and was never in the house prior to that but my attendance would be to show my sympathy and support to a family member who I would know.

My own opinion on this topic is that wakes are for personal interaction while funerals are more of a religious offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

muffler wrote: »
    A lot of people attend both the wake and the funeral. I have been to many wakes where I didnt know the deceased and was never in the house prior to that but my attendance would be to show my sympathy and support to a family member who I would know.

My own opinion on this topic is that wakes are for personal interaction while funerals are more of a religious offering.

Yes I agree, I think personal judgement has to come into play here though! Often I would attend both, sometime one or the other and sometime just speak to my friend if I could not make it to either (good excuse needed though)!

One no, no I think is turning up at the grave yard, having not gone to the funeral or wake - if noticed it can be taken as an insult! I have seen this happening a lot so I always make a point of going up to receive so they know I was in the church......all the same it is down to personal judgement and if you think the person is not happy with you - talk to them and explain why you didn't go to the house e.g. didn't know anyone in the house and going on your own....really try to clear the air and I think your friend would probably appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I think the wake is more important in terms of visiting, the funeral is more of a family event.

I heard a good saying about wakes that I think rings true...'the family might not remember who turned up, but they'll definitely remember who didn't'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 caprirs3100

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I think the wake is more important in terms of visiting, the funeral is more of a family event.

I heard a good saying about wakes that I think rings true...'the family might not remember who turned up, but they'll definitely remember who didn't'
    I have to agree that while i dont personally like going to wakes, I do believe people that know you will always remember if they met you at the wake. I have attended wakes where I did not know the person directly but I knew their relations and people alway make a point of speaking to the person they know or ask for that person if they do see thamwhile attending the wake. I worked for a businessman in the past who alway went to the graveyard for the burial rather that go to the wake.

I believe that wakes are not as common down the country are not as common and the remains goto a funeral home until they are burried.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Beanstalk wrote: »

My missus lost her Granny a few years back, she still bears a grudge about people who didn't go to the wake.

Personally if I wasn't going to the wake I would try and get someone to slip a mass card in for me. I hope then that people just think they missed me. Not nice I know but I hate wakes, have never spent more than 5 minutes at one that I wasn't involved in.

Advertisement