Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What worm did I find?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all

This happenned over a week ago when doing some work on two different sites in the garden.

I found a large worm that was flattish at both ends and had an almost cream coloured dorsal strip down its length. It was purpley pinky in colour. I found one under some dry leaf litter on top of concrete(this was during good weather) and near it I found what I think were small red eggs perhaps?

The other two I found when digging earth off a much neglected portion of path at the end of the garden. The soil there is blacker and does not have as much clay, it is rich as my dad used that spot to burn garden branches and so forth. I still find bits of rotting wood within the soil. Does this make the soil more acidic?

I disposed of them in some newspaper with a bit of bleach as I thought they were the new zealand FW did I later found they are not.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I found an Australian Flat Worm which I duly dispatched. Still don't know what the original yoke was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mothman over in Nature & Bird Watching would probably be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mothman over in Nature & Bird Watching would probably be able to help you.
    :) I think exchange would probably with may....
    Back to the question
    I disposed of them in some newspaper with a bit of bleach as I thought they were the new zealand FW did I later found they are not.
    What makes you think it isn't?...and how did it differ with the Australian Flat-worm.

There are other species of flat worm "down under" and I read somewhere that other species have been found......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I found an Australian flatworm a few days ago - it is smaller than the NZ one, and is orange coloured. Mine had moved house with me inside pots.... pots which spent much of the winter frozen completely solid. So the eggs can survive -15, very depressing:(:(:(

Advertisement