Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I entitled to anything?

• 06-04-2011 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

So I gave up my job to emigrate about 3 months ago. I have been paying tax for about 8 years, and I was in the higher bracket so a lot over the years.

I moved to Canada and have found it very difficult to get a job, and am doing something entry level at the moment which isn't paying very well.

If I move back home am I entitled to JSB (as I've definitely paid more than the required amount of contributions)? Should I have claimed something when I moved over here? All my savings were swallowed because I literally had nothing coming in every week. Also does the fact that I left my job affect this at all?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, you get JSB

You've satisfied the residency rule and have enough contributions

You left your job which can stop payment for up to nine weeks, exceptions can be made like you left due to stress or bullying and can prove that.
    That doesn't apply to you and you've cleared the nine weeks

Sign on straight away so your claim can be started.
    They might not see you on the day, probably have to make an appointment.

You're a straightforward case, should have no issues getting sorted and approved.
    Should have payment well before the end of the month

Kimia wrote: »
    Should I have claimed something when I moved over here?

Nothing from Ireland anyway, maybe tax back but nothing from welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Thank you so much for the quick reply feelingstressed. I haven't moved back home yet as I can't afford the return flight (!) so that's why I was worried if I got home I'd have nothing to live on. How have I satisfied the residency rule? That was the one thing that was stressing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Kimia wrote: »
    So I gave up my job to emigrate about 3 months ago. I have been paying tax for about 8 years, and I was in the higher bracket so a lot over the years.

I moved to Canada and have found it very difficult to get a job, and am doing something entry level at the moment which isn't paying very well.

If I move back home am I entitled to JSB (as I've definitely paid more than the required amount of contributions)? Should I have claimed something when I moved over here? All my savings were swallowed because I literally had nothing coming in every week. Also does the fact that I left my job affect this at all?

Any help appreciated.
    It would seem pretty clear to me you have to leave your job through circumstance and not because you couldn't be bothered working. The same happened to me when I lived in Dublin. My cost of living to income started to eat up my savings, loans, overdraft etc and I had no choice but relocate back West. It's exactly what I told them in the Welfare office and it was no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html
    The term habitually resident is not defined in either Irish or EC law. However, the following 5 factors, which have been set down in Irish and European law, will be examined to find out if you are habitually resident in Ireland:

Length and continuity of residence in Ireland or other parts of the Common Travel Area
    Length and purpose of any absence from Ireland or the Common Travel Area
    Nature and pattern of employment
    Your main centre of interest
    Your future intentions to live in Ireland as it appears from the evidence

Have a read of that site, it's very clear and user friendly

When you sign on and fill up your form you'll be asked your nationality
    And you'll be asked what were you doing for the past few months and why you did not sign on.
    Tell them you headed to Canada to work and now you're back and it'll be reviewed by the officer. No probs, you should be approved

You hear nightmare stories over welfare and they do happen. But like a machine it's does the simple cases like yours easily but the difficult cases like self employed or sometimes JSA run into issues and delays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are entitled to JSB you will not have to satisfy the Habitual Residency Conditions. If you left your job in Ireland voluntarily you have already served the disqualification period as you have not claimed and you are abroad for 3 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement