Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Specs

Options
  • 06-04-2011 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

A question I've been meaning to ask for a while, how do I know if my laptop is capable of properly running a game well? Wanting to give HL2 amongst other things a shot on it and although the 'will it run?' sites say it's fine, I'm sceptical if it'll really run on my laptop to a satisfactory level.

Even with old games like Half Life 1 I find my laptop overheats very quickly, it'll turn off if running the game for more than a couple of hours even though it comfortably passes the specs requirements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We could help more if you actually told us what the specs were.

As for the overheating, have you tried cleaning the fan with some compressed air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yeah, we can't really help much without some more info...

My magic ball says you have an 8600GS GPU... Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Harps wrote: »
    Even with old games like Half Life 1 I find my laptop overheats very quickly, it'll turn off if running the game for more than a couple of hours even though it comfortably passes the specs requirements

Sounds like Old Betty needs a clean around the fan or you have it sitting on a cushion / on top of your bed.

Anywho, Half Life 2 has always been known for having a versitile engine which could be played on a range of machines from shìtty ones onwards.

Minimum requirements of the game:
    • Processor: 1.2 GHz Processor
    • Graphic card: DirectX 7 level graphics card
    • Hard Drive: 4.5 GB
    • Memory: 256 MB RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You could just download the demo and see how it handles on your laptop.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

This website is pretty good at telling whether or not your system will handle a specific game:http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Alternatively you can got to "Start", then "Run" and type in "dxdiag" (without the inverted commas). On the menu that pops up, the system section will tell you your processor, and the display section will tell you your graphics card and you can use that to find out what you can run (or post the results here and ask for opinions).

Keep in mind though, if its heating up on half life 1 it probably needs a clean around the fan and maybe new thermal paste too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Thought I did add the specs..odd :confused:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 1.90GHz
    2GB RAM
    32 Bit Vista
    ATI Radeon X1250 Graphic Card

It comfortably passes on that system requirements site but as I said Half Life 1 seems to strain it.

I've had it for 3 years now so I guess I'll have a look into cleaning around the fan and see if it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The graphics is pretty weak and old but if HL1 is stuggling, then it's more likely due to excess junk running in the background. Uninstall any programs you don't need and defragment the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

3 years old = clean it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well if it is anything like my XPS, then get rid of Vista and install XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Harps wrote: »
    Thought I did add the specs..odd :confused:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 1.90GHz
    2GB RAM
    32 Bit Vista
    ATI Radeon X1250 Graphic Card

It comfortably passes on that system requirements site but as I said Half Life 1 seems to strain it.

I've had it for 3 years now so I guess I'll have a look into cleaning around the fan and see if it helps

Half Life original is an ancient game and although your integrated gpu is similarly poor by modern standards, it would easily play HL at any setting or resolution flawlessly. HL2 would be a different story, thought it's such a hardware friendly engine it would run fine on the X1250, even. Neither game should give you any trouble really, as advised already give your laptop a bit of a physical and software wise spring clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

try and clean your fan out with compressed air

check to see if there is one for your particular model

also you might consider getting a laptop cooling pad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

to clean/speed up the pc go to download.com

search for advanced systemcare I think its called

that'll clean it real good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Cheers for all the tips, I'm finishing up at college at the moment so think I'll wait a few weeks before taking the laptop apart incase I mess something up.

Advertisement