Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia carpenter

Options
  • 06-04-2011 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I am traveling to oz in jan with a friend. We are both carpenters and are wondering if there is much work in Perth for chippies.

Will we be waiting long on getting a job? Dont care about traveling around oz we just want to work.

Also is there a safe pass course or equivalent we have to do over in Perth? Any idea of the cost? We are both qualified 6 years now.

Anyone know how it works? do u stay in hostel till u get a job then try get a place? sorry just have no idea where to start

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanking You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

heybuddy wrote: »

Also is there a safe pass course or equivalent we have to do over in Perth? Any idea of the cost? We are both qualified 6 years now.

Anyone know how it works? do u stay in hostel till u get a job then try get a place? sorry just have no idea where to start

The course is the white card. Csots about $100-120

It would be cheaper to get a place as soon as possible, hostel for a week would cost more than house or appartment for a week.

But then you risk not being in a good location to where you are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 heybuddy

ok thanx..but do u not need a job to get accomadation??? also have u any idea if there is much work for carpenters in perth??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi,

I am traveling to oz in jan with a friend. We are both carpenters and are wondering if there is much work in Perth for chippies.

Will we be waiting long on getting a job? Dont care about traveling around oz we just want to work.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanking You

That's a fair bit away now, we can't really tell you how miuch work there will be, only what work has been like and is like now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

There is work in Perth for most trades but don't expect to get work straight away. You should allow at least a month to get sorted here so bring enough cash to last that long. Its not that cheap here either so bring as much as you can. Most carpentry jobs aren't advertised so it helps if you know someone who is working as a carpenter over here.

ok thanx....was hoping to be working within a few wks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

IME, new yeah is prob the worst time to go looking for work on the buildings. Things only really start getting up to speed towards at the start of feb, as most are coming back from summer holidays...

ok might hold out till end of jan b4 we come over then

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

ok might hold out till end of jan b4 we come over then

do you have any contacts over here, usually the quickest way to find work. I have never worked in the buildings myself, but thats just what I hear from others

ye classman i know one or 2 people there...not sure if they will still be there in jan though...dont suppose u know if they hire EMTs over there..been training the last year as one..just a second option if there no work as chippie

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ye classman i know one or 2 people there...not sure if they will still be there in jan though...dont suppose u know if they hire EMTs over there..been training the last year as one..just a second option if there no work as chippie
    Training as or qualified as?

• Advertisement

qualified as

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

You will find it easy enough to get carpentry work here in Perth if you are up to doing formwork and concrete pouring/finishing. It's not exactly the same as home so don't expect to be roofing houses and putting up timber frames all the time. I know lots of Irish lads that have got work straight off the plane but it's all down to knowing someone who will get you in with a company. If you are flexible with location it will be easier to find work, Perth is flush with chippes who will work for less than the going rate, think about going down to Bunbury (phase 2 of the SSWA desal plant), Geraldton or Karratha as an alternative.

ok thanx...ye done form work and concrete finishing before...so thats no bother...i will look at those places you said...are they far away from perth?? small towns??

Advertisement