Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrible download speed on Samsung Galaxy S

• 06-04-2011 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have posted a thread re the problems I am having with downloading YouTube videos on my new Samsung Galaxy S (received it yesterday). They will download fast enough but dreadful grainy quality. I switched it to high quality and now it struggles to download at all.

I have now noticed that the download speed is dreadful for everything - Facebook, surfing etc.

I am on emobile.

The phone is not picking up my WiFi but I am not concerned about this as am getting rid of my landline and broadband. So it is the 3g that I need to work efficiently.

I had Vodafone 845 - cheapest smartphone out there and it was fine downloading/youtube etc and now that I have upgraded to what I thought was one of the best smartphones I am having major problems!!

Any ideas? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

3G is not broadband and will be hit and miss depending on how many in the area are using it at the time, even with a full signal. Do you have wifi at home? most people who buy these phones use their wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pepsicass

I have WiFi at home but phone is not picking it up. It does have a couple of bars on the wifi symbol but it keeps saying "scanning" and nowt happening. I am getting rid of my wifi soon however so will have to rely fully on the 3g. Got a good package on the phone to cover this usage.

3g is not doing anything onthe phone. I know you say this can be hit and miss but it seems to be constantly miss on this phone but with my vodafone 845 before this I never had a problem with it??

Ta for your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You changed provider, there's your answer. 3G is never a suitable fixed broadband replacement, it may work today and not tomorrow. If you get a good working signal, don't tell any of your neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If not seeing your WiFi network it may have a problem that I wouldn't dismiss so quickly OP.

Try download a speedtest app from the market and use it to check the 3g speed received at home. Obviously emobile coverage can vary from the voda coverage you had before

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pepsicass

Okay - just did a test with the wifi on (but it didn't recognise it) and 3g.

The results are: download 58kbps; upload 108kbps, kilobits/sec 108

Now, the above mean absolutely nothing to me so can someone tell me if this is average - bad, etc.

And, if bad, it looks like I may have to change my service provider?, think I have a seven day period that I can opt out.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Thread title is misleading, it should read 'Terrible download speed on Emobile 3G' :D. However just to rule out a problem with your phone compare download speeds at home and in a location with good 3G coverage, sometimes the centre of a town will have better coverage. Try to connect to a different wifi network to rule out any issues with your wifi receiver on the phone. I'm on 3 with mine and use 3G during the day and wifi at home. On average the speeds are far faster on wifi, even though I am only on a 2M connection. Nothing to do with the phone, just the nature of 3G connections ie normally sh1t everywhere other than built up areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Pepsicass wrote: »

Now, the above mean absolutely nothing to me so can someone tell me if this is average - bad, etc.

And, if bad, it looks like I may have to change my service provider?, think I have a seven day period that I can opt out.

Thanks.

ok OP, 58k down is not good (to put it gently). i get over 1mbps (1024kbps) in dublin 12. if those kind of results are consistent, it's a coverage issue. where are you based?

you've 14 days to cancel a contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Pepsicass wrote: »

Thanks.

Yep, no good. Meteor 3G for me is often around 2000kbs.

Advertisement