Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying DNS problem - need help!

• 06-04-2011 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Need some help. My g/f has been having some problems connecting to the internet on her laptop.

Neither IE or Firefox work. However, she can connect to Skype, and if I give her an IP address (in IE's address bar), she can go to that address. So I assume it's a DNS problem?

I've tried the following:
    1. Restarting the PC in safe mode with Networking (didn't work).
    2. Changed the DNS to googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (didn't work).
    3. Unchecked all the auto-configuration settings (didn't work)
    4. Restarting the router (didn't work)

I'm not really sure what to do next?

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hey guys,

Need some help. My g/f has been having some problems connecting to the internet on her laptop.

Neither IE or Firefox work. However, she can connect to Skype, and if I give her an IP address (in IE's address bar), she can go to that address. So I assume it's a DNS problem?

Run ipconfig /all and show us the results. It's possible the DNS servers in the network options aren't being used, as they can be overriden by registry entries instead, potentially as the result of a trojan/malware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I don't have access to the laptop to run ipconfig. I'm trying to fix it over the phone for her, but I'll try to get her to send that to me later today.

If it was an issue with DNS servers, wouldnt me changing them to the google DNS fix that?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it was an issue with DNS servers, wouldnt me changing them to the google DNS fix that?

No it wouldn't, as already mentioned, the reg entries override the network panel settings.

Yep, sounds exactly like that! What's the best/easiest fix for something like that? Some sort of restore?

Yep, sounds exactly like that! What's the best/easiest fix for something like that? Some sort of restore?

Removing the reg entries sorts the immediate DNS issue. On the large scale, the machine will need to be disinfected of the trojan itself, and patched to avoid further infections.

This is all assuming of course that a trojan is doing this.

• Advertisement

How exactly do I remove the problem reg entries?

I should really know how to do this, but I dont :o

I'll probably do a full reinstall at some stage soon to sort the trojan, but I just need to get it up and running for now.

Thanks again for the help!

How exactly do I remove the problem reg entries?

I should really know how to do this, but I dont :o

I'll probably do a full reinstall at some stage soon to sort the trojan, but I just need to get it up and running for now.

Thanks again for the help!

You can just locate them in regedit and manually delete them. But first it's best to make sure what's happening rather then mess in the registry needlessly.

Thanks Spear,

I'll try to get more info when she has access to the laptop tonight.

I've used regedit before, but how do I know exactly which ones to delete?

Thanks Spear,

I'll try to get more info when she has access to the laptop tonight.

I've used regedit before, but how do I know exactly which ones to delete?

A search for NameServer should show them.

Excellent! Really appreciate the help man!

• Advertisement

asked the girlfriend to do a find in regedit for nameserver.

there were three entries. Should I suggest that she delete them all?

Thanks,
    M

asked the girlfriend to do a find in regedit for nameserver.

there were three entries. Should I suggest that she delete them all?

Thanks,
    M

There could be innocent values in there, so best post the values first.

Here's the result from ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PJs_LENOVO
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-FA-D1-C4-2A
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.11
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 April 2011 22:24:17
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 06 April 2011 23:24:17

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-5A-1A-F1-17

%=======================================%

The three entries in regedit when i do a find for nameserver are:
    KeyType
    RegLocation

Which one of these will I delete and does anyone know if this is causing the problem?

Thanks,
    Martin

http://www.windowsreference.com/networking/dhcp-static-ip-settings-in-windows-registry/

That will illustrate what you're looking for and has both cases, DHCP and static addresses.

Ok the problem just got deeper.

Im connecting to the internet here using my mac. I am using the exact same DNS as the laptop that cannot connect to the internet.

On the unconnected laptop, using the command prompt, I can ping 8.8.8.8, but when I try to ping google, its say the usual "unresolved host". Skype also works fine.

In regedit, I've checked the "Nameserver" settings, and they're all set to the proper DNS value that's working for my mac. No other NameServer entries (under interfaces at least).

Another symptom is that if I type an ip address in IE, it still doesn't find the website (eg. http://72.244.3.44 or whatever).

It's so weird. I'm running an antivirus/malware tool now, but I dont think that's the problem.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    M

Ok the problem just got deeper.

Im connecting to the internet here using my mac. I am using the exact same DNS as the laptop that cannot connect to the internet.

On the unconnected laptop, using the command prompt, I can ping 8.8.8.8, but when I try to ping google, its say the usual "unresolved host". Skype also works fine.

In regedit, I've checked the "Nameserver" settings, and they're all set to the proper DNS value that's working for my mac. No other NameServer entries (under interfaces at least).

Another symptom is that if I type an ip address in IE, it still doesn't find the website (eg. http://72.244.3.44 or whatever).

It's so weird. I'm running an antivirus/malware tool now, but I dont think that's the problem.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    M

Is there a firewall on the Windows machine? Did it get updated recently?

There is a firewall, but even when its off the problem persists....

There is a firewall, but even when its off the problem persists....

I doubt it's DNS related, it sounds more like there's no connectivity at all. Is it wired or wireless? Is there a link light on at the network adapter? What does tracert www.boards.ie produce?

Using the command window:
    Tracert www.boards.ie says "unable to resolve"

but if I tracert the ip address of boards.ie, it does give 8 ip addresses.

The weird thing is when I put http://(the boards ip address), it still doesnt work in the browser

Sorry: It's wireless. Seems to be connected fine because I can use ping in the command window.

There's something a little odd in the settings you posted before. You have a DNS server at 192.168.1.1 but keep the machines on a different subnet of 192.180.100.x? Is there a reason for this?

• Advertisement

No sorry.

Ip address is 192.168.100.11

and

DNS is 192.168.100.254

No sorry.

Ip address is 192.168.100.11

and

DNS is 192.168.100.254

One simple enough thing to try, ipconfig /flushdns.

No joy I'm afraid... It's so weird. I can ping ip address, but can't ping domain names (which would normally indicate DNS problems), but I'm using the same DNS for my mac and even when I type the IP address into IE, it still cant find the site!

No joy I'm afraid... It's so weird. I can ping ip address, but can't ping domain names (which would normally indicate DNS problems), but I'm using the same DNS for my mac and even when I type the IP address into IE, it still cant find the site!

Where are you based?

Louth. I'm kinda out of ideas at this stage!

Louth. I'm kinda out of ideas at this stage!

Bit too far for a look see in person then I'm afraid.

But there is one thing:

Node type unknown, which is related to a broken proxy setting according to MS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310570

Thanks Spear.

I tried changing the setting but still no joy.

I also did a system restore but that didn't work either. Considering a reinstall now, which is a total pain because there's a lot of custom software installed on the machine.

Thanks Spear.

I tried changing the setting but still no joy.

I also did a system restore but that didn't work either. Considering a reinstall now, which is a total pain because there's a lot of custom software installed on the machine.

A full re-install is probably overkill.

You could try resetting the entire network stack:

http://www.zimbio.com/Windows+Vista/articles/43/Reinstall+Reset+TCP+IP+Internet+Protocol+Windows

Advertisement