Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and their "Fair Usage Limits"

• 06-04-2011 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just thought I would try to get more information here.

Recently upgraded to the 100mb service, and while it's great, their "no download limit" policy is a load of crap, as it has a limit of 500gb (or a fair usage limit as they call it).

Anyway, just curious is it really legal for them to do anything to my account if I go over this? They give me no tools to monitor how much I download or upload, there's no way I can monitor this myself without installing something on every piece of hardware or setting it up so that everything must go through another pc etc...just sounds like a breach of the consumer charter to take action against a customer in such a way.

Now having said that they aren't really doing anything to me other than sending me out the standard "our customers have experienced a deteroriation in service" letters every few months when I creep over the limit. Just curious what the legal stand point is, anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Very curious here; why do you need 500GB of data every month? I watch an odd movie, browse youtube and upload some videos to vimeo and I find this fine.

500GB, you must be downloading every TV show ever made :)
    enigma_b17 wrote: »
    Just thought I would try to get more information here.

Recently upgraded to the 100mb service, and while it's great, their "no download limit" policy is a load of crap, as it has a limit of 500gb (or a fair usage limit as they call it).

Anyway, just curious is it really legal for them to do anything to my account if I go over this? They give me no tools to monitor how much I download or upload, there's no way I can monitor this myself without installing something on every piece of hardware or setting it up so that everything must go through another pc etc...just sounds like a breach of the consumer charter to take action against a customer in such a way.

Now having said that they aren't really doing anything to me other than sending me out the standard "our customers have experienced a deteroriation in service" letters every few months when I creep over the limit. Just curious what the legal stand point is, anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

500gb seems pretty generous to me... I'd download a considerable amount of tv, movies and music every month but doubt I've ever even reached 200gb in one month. Do you really need that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

LoL nah nothing like that, i'm sure there's the odd bit o' tele watching, (it's not just me, 3 others using the connection aswell)

I don't really understand how they can send out letters threatening to cut me off or reduce my package or whatever message it is, while at the same time advertising that their are no limits, and not advertising these "fair usage limits" , while giving me to no way to monitor it.

meh just said I'd open up a discussion see what people's opinions were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

maximoose wrote: »
    500gb seems pretty generous to me... I'd download a considerable amount of tv, movies and music every month but doubt I've ever even reached 200gb in one month. Do you really need that much?

well as above
    I haven't been disconnected or anything it's just i've received a letter in the past when my hard-drive died and had to do some heavy duty downloading for a month (back on the 250gb limit), just curious what the legal stand point is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484124
    Already a large thread on this topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement