Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurant - Galway City Centre

Options
  • 06-04-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hey All :)

I'll be visiting Galway soon (staying in the Meyrick Hotel), and was looking for a good restaurant to visit one evening in the city centre - any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Search the forum, theres loads of these threads.

IMO, Malt house and McSwiggans have never been short of amazing. Depends what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Oscars and the Thai garden would be my favs! Really depends on what you are looking for as there's loads to choose from. If you fancy a a drive then I would recommend "o'gradys in the pier" its around 15 mins from Galway in Bearna village and the food is fantastic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You'll maybe see recommendations for Bar 8. One word, Don't! I ate for the first time there last Sunday and encountered a truly staggering mix of bad manners and frankly disgraceful food. I've already contacted the Food Safety Authority.

The Malt House is very good and good value. Also, not city centre, but in Salthill, the Gourmet Tart Company is very good as well.

For a lazy coffee or snack try Goyas (off Quay Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Oscars – great food, interesting décor, more expensive

De Tang Noodle – cheap and cheerful Chinese food, nice place with relaxed atmosphere, good value

Asian Tea house – fancy Chinese food, lovely place, good value but more expensive then De Tang

Nimmos / Ard Bia – great food, quirky décor and menu, relaxed atmosphere, won’t break the bank but not cheap and cheerful

Artisan – hit and miss (I think), it can be great but it can also let you down, nice décor, brilliant location, works out expensive if you get a ‘down’ night

Out of town-
    O’Gradys – Fish place in Barna. Great food, great views, relaxed but grown up atmosphere! Pricey but worth it

White Gables – Moycullen. Amazing food, fancy joint! Expensive but food is a joy.

Glenlo Abbey – something different. A few different options from the Bar to Pullmans lounge. May be good for a spin and a walk with nice pub grub to follow…

I would deffo check the menus online as everyone has an idea of what they class as ‘good’ food!
    Enjoy the weekend 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I always vote for Cava, was there just a few days ago and it was delicious as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tulsi if you like Indian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

churchview wrote: »
    The Malt House is very good and good value. Also, not city centre, but in Salthill, the Gourmet Tart Company is very good as well.

At Gourmet Tart Company, Food is lovely but service absolutely awful. If you're not prepared to have to call the waitress over and ask if you can order dessert/coffee/have bill (this after waiting the guts of twenty minutes - luckily we weren't in a rush), then enjoy it. If it'll wind you up then don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

churchview wrote: »
    You'll maybe see recommendations for Bar 8. One word, Don't! I ate for the first time there last Sunday and encountered a truly staggering mix of bad manners and frankly disgraceful food. I've already contacted the Food Safety Authority.

For a lazy coffee or snack try Goyas (off Quay Street).
    Off topic but what happened in Bar 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 luckycat

At Gourmet Tart Company, Food is lovely but service absolutely awful. If you're not prepared to have to call the waitress over and ask if you can order dessert/coffee/have bill (this after waiting the guts of twenty minutes - luckily we weren't in a rush), then enjoy it. If it'll wind you up then don't go.

I've eaten in Gourmet Tart 3 times since it opened last year and I think the service has improved massively. I think they struggled a bit at the start. I loved the food and thought it was great value at €25 for 4 courses! Plus they're No. 1 on Trip Advisor!

In town, Cava is great and actually Cooke's is also one of my city centre faves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Cava is good for tapas, but I was there recently and the music was so loud (maybe I'm getting old!) I nearly needed to shout at my partner. Having said that the food is tasty and there's a good selection of wine.

Tulsi is good for Indian.

Sam Bailey's on Eglinton St. is good for lunch.

McSwiggan's is consistently very good and offer a good range of dishes. Their steaks are pretty good. Service and quality of ingredients are always of a very high standard.

Foodwise, I've had average enough experiences in O'Grady's (Barna) and the service was rude and poor. If you're going to drive to Barna then The Twelve is very good.

Have not eaten in Bar 8 but was keen to try it soon but after what Churchview said I am not so sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Gourmet Tart service was woeful when they started. It's night and day now, huge difference. They've taken on some good front of house people which they very badly needed.

Ben Schlomo - I'll pm ya later. Bar 8 certainly don't deserve it but I'd feel bad for some reason bad-mouthing a local business online.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I'm eager too to hear about this Bar 8 thing. Churchview please elaborate more on thread, as just telling people not to frequent a business isn't on.
    Every time I've been there the food has been top notch and service good. Only problem I have with it is the acoustics makes everyone shout so it's louder than a normal restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

The Seafood Bar located in Kirwan's Lane (off Cross St/Quay St) is superb and is run by the same folks who have the famous O'Grady's in Barna. So now you can sample their great food in town. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

The Seafood Bar located in Kirwan's Lane (off Cross St/Quay St) is superb and is run by the same folks who have the famous O'Grady's in Barna. So now you can sample their great food in town. Brilliant.

I agree both of the above are fab and well worth a try. Quay Street Wine Bar is also good. OP you should also try the G Hotel its a sister hotel of meyrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Ahh you're all very good - thanks so much for all the replies, am sorted for my trip so! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Artisan is also worth a visit Op. Great for lunch or evening:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Martina155

Hey,

I'm visiting Galway in a couple of weeks, staying in the foster court hotel for the weekend. When I made the reservation I was told they have opened up a new restaurant with a chefs table..Just wondering if anyone has been there? Is it any good or should we stick to one of the mentioned restaurants?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

They have done alot of advertising for Elwoods but havent been to it or heard of anyone who has been. Maybe go there one of nights and check out one of the others the following night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WindyMyth

Eaten at Asian Tea House a few times. Food and service is always stellar, worth the slightly more expensive price tag.

Had nothing but good experiences with McSwiggans and Malt House, as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just had dinner in the Gourmet Tart Company ... a very enjoyable experience :) Well recommended ! :)
    The food, presentation, taste, service, quantities, price ... all just perfect ! :)

ValerieR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

The restaurant in the Forster Court Hotel is fantastic.

Have eaten there a few times since it reopened and I can't say enough good things about the place, the staff and the food! Bloody amazing!
    Worth every single penny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Was going to try bar 8 food as was curious but a few negatives on it now I think I will avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭squonk

maybe a bit out of town but Scotty's off the Headford road near the Galway Shopping Center is great.

I had a fantastic experience in there last time (it was my first time there). I ordered a steak well done. It came out and was grand but the edges were a bit over done. Not enough to be bothered sending it back mind. The lady serving me came back to me at one point and said she thought the steak looked a bit burned around the side. I said it was grand and not bad really but she said 'not bad' wasn't good enough and it needed to be excellent and if it wasn't she'd give me a discount or another steak. I told her not to be silly that I was happy overall but she insisted so I got another steak which was cooked really, really well.

To be honest it blew me away and I was really impressed. I don't eat out a lot at the moment but Scottys will always be on my list as long as I'm in Galway. I can't say enough good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

Martina155 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm visiting Galway in a couple of weeks, staying in the foster court hotel for the weekend. When I made the reservation I was told they have opened up a new restaurant with a chefs table..Just wondering if anyone has been there? Is it any good or should we stick to one of the mentioned restaurants?

Thanks

Hey, I just noticed this there now after my post.
    I would 110% recommend it! In fact if you were staying there and didn't eat in it I'd say you missed out!
    Was there two weeks ago, party of 20people, the service was STILL fantastic and the food spectacular!
    I've been there a few times and have yet to be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

squonk wrote: »
    maybe a bit out of town but Scotty's off the Headford road near the Galway Shopping Center is great.

I had a fantastic experience in there last time (it was my first time there). I ordered a steak well done. It came out and was grand but the edges were a bit over done. Not enough to be bothered sending it back mind. The lady serving me came back to me at one point and said she thought the steak looked a bit burned around the side. I said it was grand and not bad really but she said 'not bad' wasn't good enough and it needed to be excellent and if it wasn't she'd give me a discount or another steak. I told her not to be silly that I was happy overall but she insisted so I got another steak which was cooked really, really well.

To be honest it blew me away and I was really impressed. I don't eat out a lot at the moment but Scottys will always be on my list as long as I'm in Galway. I can't say enough good things about them.

I love Scotty's, treated the parents to dinner there yesterday, they have sweet potato fries now nom nom nom! Sounds like you got served by Jenny (owners wife) she's a perfectionist and would fall over backwards to help you. I always recommend the place to people looking for a good restaurant

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Cava (tapas) or Oscars (try the ribs! they melt in the mouth!)

IMO, the best restaurants are on the western side of the bridge, sometimes I feel the tourist heavy foot fall of quay street can make some restaurants complacent.

I'm especially baffled why McSwiggans keeps getting recommended, I've eaten there twice now, once ate some roast beef that might as well have been an insole it was so tough, the second time got chowder that wasn't even microwaved properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Tamarind is pretty nice, I go there alot (and tonight too). I've heard good things about the new Elwoods place but not been yet. The chefs table looks fun, did that years ago in Florida at a Japanese Restaurant and it was amazing......

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Elwoods is lovely, went there for my cousin's engagement party, yum yum, between there and Gourmet Tart my favourite in Galway city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Go to Ard Bia/Nimmos everytime I go to Galway. Love it.

Advertisement