Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lifestyle scrappage scheme

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Trainer Scrappage Scheme invites people to trade in their old trainers in any of the 64 Lifestyle Sports stores nationwide and get 25% off a new pair of adidas Response or Supernova trainers.

All shoes will go to making Ireland's first environmentally friendly astro pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Last year I compared the price of a pair of runners in Lifestyle including the scrappage and the same pair in Elverys and they were cheaper in the latter, but they may have also had a sale at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I picked up a pair of Response cushion today for €60 with the discount. I have to say though I had an absolute battle with the sales assistant.

First off he tried to sell me the supernova support shoes. I explained to him that I was a neutral runner and didn't need the support. He eventually backed down and brought out a pair of Supernova Glides. I pointed out that the heel was massive and he told me that that was best as they had more cusioning and that was better. Despite telling him I am used to shoes with less cushioning, he tried to convince me these were much better 'everyone is going for the extra cushioning'.

Anyway after much twisting and insisting he brought me a pair of Response cushion which, despite the name, have slightly less cushioning than the Supernova glides and a lower heel. Seriously though I don't know what they teach these sales assistants :confused: I wonder how many injuries they have caused by recommending stability shoes to absolutely everyone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

menoscemo wrote: »
    I
    Anyway after much twisting and insisting he brought me a pair of Response cushion which, despite the name, have slightly less cushioning than the Supernova glides and a lower heel. Seriously though I don't know what they teach these sales assistants :confused: I wonder how many injuries they have caused by recommending stability shoes to absolutely everyone.

but...but...but everyone needs extra cushioning!
    :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pity it's only Adidas shoes on this deal... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

he tried to convince me these were much better 'everyone is going for the extra cushioning'.
    Ye but no but ye, like everyone like.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

either of these similar to asics kayanos? or maybe I should I stick to much tried and trusted kayanos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

SOH32 wrote: »
    either of these similar to asics kayanos? or maybe I should I stick to much tried and trusted kayanos!
    I think the supernova is a stability shoe like the kayanos but with less cushioning, but I don't think any other shoe has the same cushioning as the kayanos.

SOH32 wrote: »

Yes they have one in each of the two models. The response stability and the Supernova sequence (the ones he was trying to sell to me) are both support/stability shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

If you have runners to scrap but don't want to buy a new pair in Lifestyle, can you go 'no thanks' and leave your runners?

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    If you have runners to scrap but don't want to buy a new pair in Lifestyle, can you go 'no thanks' and leave your runners?

Yeah they have a big box at the front of the stores collecting old runners. They are going to make them into astro turf pitches apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I picked up a pair of Response cushion today for €60 with the discount. I have to say though I had an absolute battle with the sales assistant.

First off he tried to sell me the supernova support shoes. I explained to him that I was a neutral runner and didn't need the support. He eventually backed down and brought out a pair of Supernova Glides. I pointed out that the heel was massive and he told me that that was best as they had more cusioning and that was better. Despite telling him I am used to shoes with less cushioning, he tried to convince me these were much better 'everyone is going for the extra cushioning'.

@Menoscemo,

I have the supernova glides and and was half thinking of getting another pair on this deal (I never pay full price for runners) but the thick sole was putting me off the SN glides. Maybe the Response cushion is an option for me also - anything else different from the glides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

dna_leri wrote: »
    @Menoscemo,

I have the supernova glides and and was half thinking of getting another pair on this deal (I never pay full price for runners) but the thick sole was putting me off the SN glides. Maybe the Response cushion is an option for me also - anything else different from the glides?

I've never used the Glides, but I find the Response Cushion great as a mid-mileage shoe, get to 500 miles no problem, going to pick up another few pairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Seriously though I don't know what they teach these sales assistants :confused:

To sell the more expensive shoe, no matter what?

dna_leri wrote: »
    @Menoscemo,

I'm sorry I cannot compare then to the Supernova glides as I have never worn the supernova before. I wore the Response cushion tonight for a short run for the first time and I have to say they felt very comfortable. That said, I was just comparing the heel to a pair of the Nike Lunarglides I normally wear and they are at least about a third bigger (and I though the lunarglides had a biggish heel).

I Am pretty sure that the heel on the Response looked visually smaller than that of the Supernova, though it may just have been stubbornness on my part as the shop assistant warned me away from the Response 'because they have less cushioning' :rolleyes:.

I suspect what he might have meant was 'they are €10 euro cheaper' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just bought pair of Supernova Glides on this deal, €67.50 ain,t bad as most of british running sites are still charging 82 sterling for them. Have used Glides since i started running 3 years ago, and touch wood i've had no issues with them. Great cushioning and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I'm sorry I cannot compare then to the Supernova glides as I have never worn the supernova before. I wore the Response cushion tonight for a short run for the first time and I have to say they felt very comfortable. That said, I was just comparing the heel to a pair of the Nike Lunarglides I normally wear and they are at least about a third bigger (and I though the lunarglides had a biggish heel).

I Am pretty sure that the heel on the Response looked visually smaller than that of the Supernova, though it may just have been stubbornness on my part as the shop assistant warned me away from the Response 'because they have less cushioning' :rolleyes:.

I suspect what he might have meant was 'they are €10 euro cheaper' :P

Went out and got the Responses today for €60 too. You are right the heel is about 5mm smaller than the glides, not exactly zero-drop running shoes but good general trainers to go alongside my lunarglides also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

If I bring in 4 pairs of old runners?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement