Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs hate change

• 06-04-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

On Monday we went out and did a bit of furniture shopping. Meant to be looking for a TV unit, but no joy there, instead we just picked up a standalone shelf unit.
    We also picked up a new collar for the dog. My wife insists that bright pink looks "super cute" and makes people less wary of her staffieness.

So we get home, dog is delighted to see us, stick the collar on, and I bring the boxes in and get to work building IKEA's finest. The dog is intrigued *sniff* *sniff* *sniff* *sniff* *sniff*, a nose in every box, knocking things over and generally causing a nuisance. So she's put into her bed to watch and chew on something. Which she does. But slowly she gets more huffy, sighing and staring at me, looking at my wife, then turning her back to us and facing the wall.

Unit finished, we sit down to dinner, the dog is running up and down the room, wondering what the hell all these boxes are and why there's a new unit standing the middle of the floor. Then she walks over, stands in her bed staring at me, and then hunkers down. Pee. Nice. You only went out an hour ago, so clearly this is a protest/worry pee.

The rest of the evening is spent lying in her (other) bed, giving us evil looks. Even though I've cleaned up and taken the unit away to its permanent home, the combination of "new stuff" + "being given out to" clearly means that we hate her.

She was still sulking yesterday morning. It didn't help that we arrived home in the afternoon with a new TV unit and then completely re-arranged the sitting room before giving her a bath. Though the upside for her is that she now gets to sleep right at our feet when we're on the couch, so she seemed quietly happy with that, but didn't drop the "you hate me" facade.
    When I left this morning, it was clear that she's now treating me as a housemate who lives in her house and is devoid of any empathy for her feelings.

Dogs, eh?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Count yourself lucky that you get the silent treatment. When we bring things home from Ikea Tegan likes to 'help' put it together. 'Help' meaning sit on important pieces and refuse to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You are clearly pure evil:D:p:D

I think it's the pink collar, she's embarrassed by the colour, its so not her.
    I think you need to see the fashion police, post a pic and we'll all judge!

(this may be a shamless ploy to see a funny sulky staffy pic);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Our last dog freaked if anything changed. If my Dad got a new jumper she'd be suspicious and act very wary. She had her womb removed due to a bad infection when she was young and she began to associate any changes with that trip to the vet. She was a very cool zen like creature but had strange phobias e.g she would not stay in a room if the door was closed and also the door needed to be wide enough for her to pass through without her touching it! Also she would only ener the house through one door and exit through another. Bonkers creatures dogs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

shes just not that into ikea cant balme her its mostly sh-t;)

furtzy wrote: »
    Our last dog freaked if anything changed. If my Dad got a new jumper she'd be suspicious and act very wary. She had her womb removed due to a bad infection when she was young and she began to associate any changes with that trip to the vet. She was a very cool zen like creature but had strange phobias e.g she would not stay in a room if the door was closed and also the door needed to be wide enough for her to pass through without her touching it! Also she would only ener the house through one door and exit through another. Bonkers creatures dogs :D
    sounds like the dog has O C D D more of a human trait eg washing hands 40 times a day and knocking on and off lights 10 times a second probably from the trauma of the operation ....poor thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lol26

She so sounds like my dog a total drama queen, the sighing and sly looks are the worst thing ever, :) wouldnt change her for the world though!!!

pokertalk wrote: »
    sounds like the dog has O C D D more of a human trait eg washing hands 40 times a day and knocking on and off lights 10 times a second probably from the trauma of the operation ....poor thing

She passed away at 14 a couple of years ago. Nothing poor about her :D Spolit rotten and her every phobia catered to. She would never come when you called her. She would stop, look around give you the "whatever" look and continue on her way. She was the coolest dog.

furtzy wrote: »
    She passed away at 14 a couple of years ago. Nothing poor about her :D Spolit rotten and her every phobia catered to. She would never come when you called her. She would stop, look around give you the "whatever" look and continue on her way. She was the coolest dog.[/QUOT]
    ah im not saying she was unhappy just that she had some mental problems from the op. :) if it came across as harsh or something i aoplogize

r i p doggie;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She was a bit better when I got home last night, though you can still see the thousand-yard stare in her eyes. "The horror". Also, note paw poised to be licked furiously... :rolleyes:

154404.jpg

Yes, she does look a little skinny in that photo, I prefer to keep her on the lighter side of her weight to reduce the onset of hip problems in future with her missing back leg.

seamus wrote: »
    She was a bit better when I got home last night, though you can still see the thousand-yard stare in her eyes. "The horror". Also, note paw poised to be licked furiously... :rolleyes:

154404.jpg

Yes, she does look a little skinny in that photo, I prefer to keep her on the lighter side of her weight to reduce the onset of hip problems in future with her missing back leg.
    dont have to explain yourself :D lovely dog

• Advertisement

Awwww, she does look like you've been torturing her:D
    They are great at giving you the guilts, even better at it than kids:rolleyes:

Lovely dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Hee hee...nothing like a staffy to feel sorry for themselves. Ours will sigh, moan and hide at the top of the stairs when something isn't right.

She is scared stiff of the ironing board as it spontaneously fell down one day when she was lying beside it. When it comes out now she legs it. She hides when you shake out clothes for drying. She leaves the room when I am watching a match...I get worked up sometimes :o

Yet jumping out of a moving car...no problem to her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Reminds me of the time we got our rug cleaned. It was gone for about 4 days. That led to some strange behaviour.

Our setter has her food bowls at the edge of the kitchen - just at the entrance to the living room. When she gets treat or anything other than nuts in her bowl - it's brought to the rug in the living room to eat. :confused:

Anyhoo, strange behaviour ensued when the rug "was taken from her". Treats were kept in her mouth and she skulked around to try and find an alternate eating place - usually the hall rug if she could get out there - but if she didn't she would "bury" the treat - usually in the couch cushions or the bottom of the curtains! Obviously for future consumption when "her" rug was returned to her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Gorgeous doggie!! :). I was going to start a new thread but I may as well ask here. We got a new couch yesterday and 3 times now Boo has cocked his leg..and fired! What can I do to stop him doing this? Hes 10 btw. Is there something I can spray on the couch to deter him?

ah im not saying she was unhappy just that she had some mental problems from the op. :) if it came across as harsh or something i aoplogize

r i p doggie;)

Didn't take it that way at all....No need to apologise :D

chucken1 wrote: »
    Gorgeous doggie!! :). I was going to start a new thread but I may as well ask here. We got a new couch yesterday and 3 times now Boo has cocked his leg..and fired! What can I do to stop him doing this? Hes 10 btw. Is there something I can spray on the couch to deter him?

Don't know about a deterrent but it may be that it doesn't smell like the rest of the house, try leaving some clothing or blanket etc, on it, something that smells familiar.
    That and a shout or loud noise (drop keys or bang something) when you see him assume the position :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Ha its a Staffie thing. They seem to be the biggest drama queens ever. A guy on a Staffie forum I use has one who feigns a sore paw and starts limping around whenever he gets given out to for being bold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

CL32 wrote: »
    Ha its a Staffie thing. They seem to be the biggest drama queens ever. A guy on a Staffie forum I use has one who feigns a sore paw and starts limping around whenever he gets given out to for being bold :)

No way, ours does the same with her paw!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Your not the only one with a dog who hates change... I know its long but seriously give it a read.. I was crying with laughter!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's actually what she reminded me of Smeefa, "The world is ending" dog in her story. :)

She got a steroid last night to ease her itchy skin so I got a very warm and excited welcome this morning. Only took 3 days :rolleyes:

chucken, I agree with mymo - anything to help the dog associate the couch with "mine" and remove its newness. I'm sure he'll stop in good time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Thanks Mymo and Seamus for the advice. Someone else told me to put tinfoil on the edges of the couch,so if he fires it will make noise and startle him. Lo and behold..he now thinks the couch has it in for him :pac:
    And the face...oh lord..mammy help!! He's just sooooo spoilt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

CL32 wrote: »

That explains a lot! I have serious suspicions that the father of Rosie's pups was a Staff or one of the bull breeds (she was a rescue and pregnant when we got her, I hasten to add), because of some of Jack's characteristics and the way he looks. Not to mention, he has an incredibly strong will which made training him very 'interesting' i.e. nearly drove me to drink. But during the cold winter, when he'd be out in the garden or out for a walk, he'd start limping and I thought he'd hurt himself and brought him back inside. Only then he'd be running about happily. And then after a few times, it dawned on me. The little fecker didn't want to be outside (even for a quick pee) or go for a walk because it was too cold and he wanted to stay in bed!! And then when I'd insist on us going for that walk, he'd walk like the most dejected creature on earth and when we got back home, he'd shiver pathetically and wait to be wrapped in his blanket and given a big hug.
    He makes a lot more sense the more I read on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

LucyBliss wrote: »
    That explains a lot! I have serious suspicions that the father of Rosie's pups was a Staff or one of the bull breeds (she was a rescue and pregnant when we got her, I hasten to add), because of some of Jack's characteristics and the way he looks. Not to mention, he has an incredibly strong will which made training him very 'interesting' i.e. nearly drove me to drink. But during the cold winter, when he'd be out in the garden or out for a walk, he'd start limping and I thought he'd hurt himself and brought him back inside. Only then he'd be running about happily. And then after a few times, it dawned on me. The little fecker didn't want to be outside (even for a quick pee) or go for a walk because it was too cold and he wanted to stay in bed!! And then when I'd insist on us going for that walk, he'd walk like the most dejected creature on earth and when we got back home, he'd shiver pathetically and wait to be wrapped in his blanket and given a big hug.
    He makes a lot more sense the more I read on these boards.

There's a guy on here - Makikomi - who has a lovely Staffie called Ruby. She does the same thing as yours whenever she thinks shes going to be forced to go for a walk. Once, they were a mile or two from the house and she just sat and refused to budge. He had to carry her home under his jacket. He's a big enough bloke to do it though, I wouldn't fancy trying it with my lump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

dont have to explain yourself :D lovely dog
    He should have to explain such a neglected looking creature. I mean those blankets don't look NEARLY fluffed up enough. :pac:
    LucyBliss wrote: »
    he'd shiver pathetically and wait to be wrapped in his blanket and given a big hug.

I have two who do this, while making little moaning shivery sounds. I put them out the back today (20 degrees!) and went for a shower. Coming back into the kitchen I could hear the two of them sitting at the back door "shivering".:rolleyes:

Advertisement