Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hobbiest and Professional/Freelance

• 06-04-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Paulw's success lately prompted my grey matter to ponder! Congrats to him.

I'm firmly in the "Hobbiest" league, having recently retired, bought a camera, etc. In my career (not photography obviously) a number of non-qualified people often tried their hand at the job, and usally failed miserably. But there was a perception that anyone could have a stab at it.

Is photography the same? I would never dream of stepping on a professional's toes. On one occasion I came across newsworthy events, took some photos, and one was used by a local paper. No fee was offered, and I did not ask. I am an amateur. I only submitted the images as I was the only photographer there.

What's the feeling here. Was I right? How do professionals, with overheads, large investments in equipment, etc., feel about amateurs submitting images, and maybe getting paid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should have invoiced them.

Me, I'm not a full-time professional photographer. Photography is my hobby/passion and a part-time earner.

I do compete for business with the full-time professionals, and many I know and get along well with. I don't go out to under-cut their business, and I think I have some mutual respect with the majority of them.

On major events, I compete like for like with them.

For smaller events, I tend to have little competition, since I ask around before covering an event. Some I do because I know I may have little or no competition, or else because it's something I want to cover.

There are many out there who take photos and submit them to the papers. The majority of images are not used (this is in general anyway). Sometimes the papers won't use the images if they can't get them for free.

But, you should be charging for your images. If they're good enough to print, then they're definitely good enough to be paid for.

Sometime you also need to consider - if you're doing it (and even earn just 1c), then you need proper professional insurance (gear, PL, maybe even PI).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Thanks Paulw for the sound advice.

Advertisement