Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bill pay package out there?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've been a Pay as you go customer with Meteor for many years. My plan is free texts to all networks and I used topped up by €20 a month.
    In the last year a lot of my friends have moved to the UK/Denmark for work and it has been costing me quite a bit to stay in touch.

25c a text adds up when theres 5 pages in one text. Fortunately it was only 10c to call the UK but I found that I would spend anything from €10 upto €60 a week on credit. (Damn direct top up, it becomes too easy!)

So I am thinking of changing over to Bill Pay, looking for the best package to suit texting UK/European numbers... maybe under €40-50 a month?
    I don't mind changing network as I'm sure I can keep my number

Any suggestions??

(Also thinking of getting the Galaxy Samsung S, all opinions welcome)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What are the chances that your friends have android phones?

Google chat combined with the most basic of data plans and you have all the world wide texts you'll need. also make those calls via skype while connected to wifi with your potential galaxy and that could be your international calls covered too.

If the above could work, a simple jump up to meteor smart 30/35 would suffice nicely (200 mins, 200 sms, free meteor t +t, 1 gb data)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have a look at Three's bill pay plans. You can use 50% of your allowance to call UK. Not sure about Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Makdoll

theteal wrote: »
    What are the chances that your friends have android phones?

......also make those calls via skype while connected to wifi with your potential galaxy and that could be your international calls covered too.

One of my friend has an iphone4 and doesn't like it at all but is tied to it because of her contract. My brother is all for apple/iphones but still sees some flaws like restriction when it comes to bluetooth and poor battery. I received some very mixed reviews.

Thats another thing i wondered about the Galaxy, does the skype actually work on it? I've heard that face to face video does not work only talk time, that'd be a shame if its true...

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look into the smart package. Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I think Meteors Bill pay lite and smart plans are great value. You should check it out on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

You will generally find the battery on a smartphone will not last more than 1-2 days. I find the iPhone 4 gets closest to 2 days, the Android handsets just over a day, if that. So if battery life is a big deal yiu might want to look at a BB or non-smartphone.
    Makdoll wrote: »
    Thats another thing i wondered about the Galaxy, does the skype actually work on it? I've heard that face to face video does not work only talk time, that'd be a shame if its true...

AFAIK the Galaxy does not have a forward facing camera, so you wouldn't be able to video chat, only voice. I can't remember if the Nexus S has a forward facing camera, or of Skype for Android supports video chat at all.

Your best bet is probably using services like Viber and WhatsApp for Voice and Texts abroad. They use data, not voice, so don't use any minutes/texts. WhatsApp is available for the vast majority of smartphones (iPhone, Android, BB, Symbian) and Viber is available for iPhone right now, and Android is imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Galaxy S doesnt have a front facing camera so Video Calls are a bit off.

Nexus S supports it. You can use apps like Quip or something like it on Android to make better use of video chat that isnt limited just to the operating system and call to users on other platforms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Just get whatsapp, convince your friends to start using it and get a data plan. it's the exact same as texting, you even get notification when it's not open and you have a new message.

Advertisement