Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart phone reccomendation

Options
  • 06-04-2011 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

My o2 contract finished today (a text at 4am). I would like peoples suggestion for a smart phone. Would prefer not to get an iphone as I use linux, and would like something not as restrictive as apple product.

What would people recommend? And which network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

More detail will be required to help with plan/network recommendations, OP

As for handsets, you're linux man/woman so android will be the obvious choice. HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S would possibly be the safest bets at the moment. . .if you can hold out for a couple of weeks and have a bit of dough, there will be a few nice new additions on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Not the Galaxy S, it relies on Kies for updates and that POS has great difficulty running even on a Windows machine.

HTC all receive updates OTA. My choice would be the Incredible S, which should be widely available very soon. Meteor works well for me, and the tariffs are good (only 12 months too).

JustinOval wrote: »
    Not the Galaxy S, it relies on Kies for updates and that POS has great difficulty running even on a Windows machine.

i'm not a SGS owner but i do agree that kies is pish alright but i use odin for any updates i've done for people which works a treat. the phone itself is undeniably good. . .i'd still probably punt for a desire until the pyramid/evo 3d become available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 W00LEY

Thanks for all the info. After looking at tarrifs, I think \i will be going with o2 or three.

Phonewise what do people think of the nexus s?

If you want to go with Three get a free SIM first, some areas have terrible data coverage and with the new 'all you can eat offer', over-subscribed too.

Nexus S is a Samsung but running Google's own vanilla Android, will update long before any other phone. Personally I prefer HTC Sense, and the build of their phones but you might disagree.

• Advertisement

What would you rate as the best HTC phone? I have read up on the incredible s, is it worth waiting for?

Desire HD is probably the best HTC Android phone right now, but on paper the Incredible S has a smaller, brighter screen and longer battery life, but TBH the differences are hard to spot.

W00LEY wrote: »
    What would you rate as the best HTC phone? I have read up on the incredible s, is it worth waiting for?

current
    desire - great all rounder, very similar to galaxy s, price just came down again, i would still buy this now
    desire hd - bigger screen, slightly better spec, 8mp camera, reports of terrible battery, not sure it's worth the extra cash
    desire z - slightly lower spec than desire, physical keyboard, again not sure it's worth the money

new
    incredible s - not a lot of info apart from here
    desire s - doesn't look like that much an improvement on the desire

being a desire owner i would hold out for the evo 3D/pyramid but who knows when they'll be available - late summer would be my guess (i know you're looking for a phone now)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The newer HTCs cannot be rooted and will be limited for the time being. The Desire HD is very big but the Desire is the same size as an iPhone.

I have had a ton of hassle with my Desire, coming from the 3GS. Took me a long time to get the market place to work to just get apps. I can't link it to my google account because of a bug that google cannot fix and it's luck of the draw if it happens to you or not.

I don't like the HTC Sense software that they install over Android. It has some nice features but overall Android by itself does a better job.

I hate Apple but I'm going to wait for iP5 before going back to Android when google have all the bugs out of their system because I can't use or get apps effectively at all the way it is. At lest Apple, iTunes and iOS all work without issue as much as I hate them. Google, Android and HTC is a right pain so far to use.

But thats just me, there are a ton of people out there that are HTC, Google and Android fans because they are lucky to not have all the crap happen to them that I have to endure. Right now my 3GS is a far more functional phone with a better battery life than my Desire because of the problems above besides the superior camera of the Desire which I like very much.

hi guys after playing with them i think i will be going with the newest htc. thanks for all the help ...... let you know how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dlm

I have had a ton of hassle with my Desire, coming from the 3GS. Took me a long time to get the market place to work to just get apps. I can't link it to my google account because of a bug that google cannot fix and it's luck of the draw if it happens to you or not.
    Log into your google accounts with the Youtube App and then go to settings > accounts and enable sync on the new google account.

There are a lot of new dual core phones being released around now but i dont know how long the Irish networks will take to get them. The LG Optimus 2X is released and you can pick it up without contract right now. The HTC Pyramid will likely be released this summer. It's HTC's first dual core so here's hoping it is another solid phone. If you're into gaming Sony Ericsson Xperia Play is out. It has the same internals as the Desire HD/Desire S/Incredible S.

All the current high end HTC phones are similar but I'd consider the original Desire too. It has the biggest modding community of the lot (and one of the biggest among all of android) if that's what you're into and the current HTC's are only slightly faster.

But if you're willing to spend ~500EUR and wait 2 or 3 months you'll have some really great dual core options.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Why don't you have a look at the new Xperia Arc? Honestly now isn't a great time to upgrade - you're best off leaving it until atleast May, all of the latest phones that have been announced should be released/known release date for by then. :)

@CaptainChaos - I'm pretty sure every Android phone can be rooted, just the boot padre is locked which don't allow unsigned ROM's to flash.

Advertisement