Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100mb Service & The Provided Router/Modem

• 06-04-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All

For anyone who has the 100mb service, one of you might have already done this...since UPC just don't seem to be able to help me with their own equiptment.

Basically got this thompson router/modem combo device with the installation. Frankly it's useless, the router config options are extremely limited and while they serve my base needs, I would prefer to use a proper router to do port forwarding etc...and this current one just doesn't cut it.

tried connecting my proper router to the modem, disabling the firewall, router etc and forwarding all traffic through to the router (basically like when I only had the modem on it's own for the 30mb package)...but the router will only ever pick up an IP from the Thompson device (DHCP on thompson disabled)...anyone configured a router to work with this as a modem only?

Thanks in advance,
    Shane :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure yet, but i do hope to be finding out very soon. :D

just out of curiosity, what router are you currently using?

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS running the tomato v1.27 firmware at the moment, but i'm thinking i'm going to need something a little more beefy to manage the extra speed, so i was thinking of going with the Asus RT-N16 as it's still tomato compatible, but it's a lot more heavy duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

First off, theres already a megathread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056114508 Here...

Anyway. I just got the 100mb connection today, so once I get back from work, I'll be spending the evening dicking around with the new modem. I'll post back later tonight to let you know exactly how to change it to bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Just f@cking around with the modem now.
    I don't know how you don't know about the Port Forwarding.
    Login with the username field blank, and the password "admin"
    Go to "Advanced" at the top
    and then go to "forwarding" on the left....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Bit of a non teccy question but will UPC BB work with any wireless router on the market? Didnt get one when i signed up but now i need one, rang UPC and they said only routers supplied by them would work?

Thanks.

only the modems have to be supplied with UPC (or a router with a built in modem). if you have a standalone modem, you can use almost any router as long as its not a DSL router and has an ethernet WAN port.

they're usually labelled as broadband routers and can be attached to either a separate cable or DSL modem.

one of the most popular ones is the Linksys WRT54G, although they're getting a little long in the tooth now, i actually still use one myself with a customised 3rd party firmware.

when i move up to the 100mbps (which should be going national in may), i'll be needing to upgrade to something with a little more grunt, but it more than suffices for my current 30mbps broadband for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

vibe666 wrote: »
    not sure yet, but i do hope to be finding out very soon. :D

just out of curiosity, what router are you currently using?

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS running the tomato v1.27 firmware at the moment, but i'm thinking i'm going to need something a little more beefy to manage the extra speed, so i was thinking of going with the Asus RT-N16 as it's still tomato compatible, but it's a lot more heavy duty.

Alrite vibe666.Do you have a phone connection with UPC too? I'm still using the bog standard epc yoke as I'm not aware of anyone who still has the phone working and a 3rd party router in place. :(

carbsy wrote: »
    Alrite vibe666.Do you have a phone connection with UPC too? I'm still using the bog standard epc yoke as I'm not aware of anyone who still has the phone working and a 3rd party router in place. :(
    plenty of people have, just not with the epc2425. :(

that's not to say its impossible, its just awkward and far from an ideal solution.

before upc started giving out the epc2425 they used to do a standalone cable modem called the epc2203 that just had a single ethernet port & 2 phone ports on it (as well as the upc coax connection) and that's what i've got at the moment, which works fine as it just passes everything through the ethernet port to whatever is behind it.

i actually just bought a Linksys E3000 today to replace my old Linksys WRT54GS.

i just re-flashed with the custom tomato firmware and having a play with it now and it's going grand so far, just got to see how well it performs in situ with the thompson when the 100mbps finally hits the shelves in navan. :)

Advertisement