Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking a 80L Tank

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:01am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just starting up after about 8 years of no fish. I got a second hand tank from adverts.

Like this.

orca_mt50_L.jpg

The original internal filter was gone, so I got a new one of those in underwater world in limerick. Got a new heater also, as the original 50w wasn't quite up to the job.

Nutrafin Cycle and aqua plus as well to start. Few plastic plants and I let it settle for a few days.

I have a test kit (strips) and it seems everything is in order, so I added two male guppies on Saturday. They seem to be getting on fine.

Should I wait much longer before adding a few more guppies? I'm having trouble deciding whether to get 4 more male, or female guppies. Only reason is I'd be worried about loads of fry. If I have all male, would they get a bit agitated? If I do get females, would natural attrition keep the numbers down?

Eventually I was thinking of guppies, cardinal tetras, some bottom feeders, and some kind of "showpiece" fish. Maybe Dwarf Gourmani or something?

No live plants in the tank, just plastic ones. Gravel base.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Should take up to 6 weeks to properly establish a filter and cylce a tank.

I would be very careful bout adding more fish to quickly since it's such a short time period so far. You would expect to see and ammonia spike and then a nitrate spike before reading settle down.

The fish in there should be ok but I would not add more for a couple of weeks at least

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Should take up to 6 weeks to properly establish a filter and cylce a tank.

I would be very careful bout adding more fish to quickly since it's such a short time period so far. You would expect to see and ammonia spike and then a nitrate spike before reading settle down.

The fish in there should be ok but I would not add more for a couple of weeks at least

Suppose the two lads are going to be a bit lonely for a while then. Hope they don't go brokeback mountain on me.. :eek:

Advertisement