Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to Lagos

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

I thought this worth sharing, it provides a good insight into life in the slums in Nigeria but in a generally positive light!

I gotta say, though, I'm looking around now thinking how fking lucky we are!

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/welcome-lagos/
    Three part observational documentary series which explores life at the sharp end of one of the most extreme urban environments in the world: Lagos, Nigeria.
    Fifty years ago, Lagos, then Nigeria’s capital, was a city the size of today’s Bradford, with a population of a little less than 300,000 people. Everyone said it was lovely. Now 16 million people live there: it is one of a new breed of megacities in a world that is abandoning the countryside. And it grows by 600,000 a year.
    That’s like chucking in Glasgow every 12 months. It’s a monster, force-fed to morbid obesity, but with the bone structure of a baby. It can’t function properly, just lies there growing, groaning, and threatening to burst. No one says Lagos is lovely any more.

It is extraordinary, though, as is this documentary, Welcome to Lagos (BBC2), which zooms in on a handful of those 16 million. Bottom of the pile, literally, are the scavengers at the Olusosun rubbish dump, human vultures who pick through the stinking detritus with metal claws, looking for stuff that can be recycled and sold: tins, plastic, copper wire, rubber, clothes, anything.
    In the dry season, fires often break out, adding toxic smoke and mortal danger to a day’s work. And in the rainy season, the place turns into a slimy netherworld.

Advertisement