Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

points betting

• 06-04-2011 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Apologies, i posted this in the chit chat section but i realised shortly afterwards that it would probably be better suited to the advice and faq section, so i just copied and pasted my query below

This may have been brought up before but i am not gonna trawl through 66 pages looking for something that is probably easily explained,
    My question is how much is a point worth in money terms?
    my thought on in was that every individual had their own value on a point
    eg 1 point = €20
    2 points = €40 etc
    However it was recently put to me that a point was equal to 10% of your overall balance or 2 pts would be 20% of that balance.

can anyone clear this up for me or give me your opinions on it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

You use your own value for a unit stake. It varies around your bankroll and betting style / staking system. There is no set value.

I'd also advise against ever betting 10% of your bankroll on any 1 bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

I'd also advise against ever betting 10% of your bankroll on any 1 bet.

thats class, cheers for the advice,
    i was always thinking it carried a moneytary value but had recently gotten confused,

just out of interest do you reckon 10% of your balance is too much of a risk, i always followed the rule of never bet more than 50% of your balance

Even if you're betting odds on, you will eventually encounter a losing streak that will shrink your bankroll into meaningless money if you risk that much at a time.

There's a staking system call the Kelly formula which is set up to stake large and maximise value in betting. This formula though IMO and in expert opinion is too risky and there are variations of the system which work better. I use an extremely safe variation of this staking formula.

In poker for example, I've had many losing runs into double figures where all the money went in with me being 60% (ish) favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

thanks, new to thisonline gambling world and trying to find my feet, i was always oldschool until a few weeks ago,

Advertisement