Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve at it again

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:42am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the Potato Aprils fools was more than just April fools. Some users have been trawling to the games in the Potato pack, uncovering glyphs and uncoded messages.
    As of last Friday, April 1, Half-Life and Left 4 Dead developer Valve has been dropping cryptic clues in its own games (Team Fortress 2, Portal 2) and games made by others (Super Meat Boy, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, AudioSurf). The common thread? Potatoes. What appears to be a complex alternate reality game, or ARG, started last week with the announcement of the Potato Sack Pack, a collection of 13 indie games ranging from Amnesia: The Dark Descent to Killing Floor to Toki Tori. Purchasers of the collection were promised a Potato Hat in Team Fortress 2 on April 5.
    Then things got interesting.
    Valve and the developers of the titles included in the Potato Sack Pack began sneaking glyphs, codes and hidden messages into those games. Some messages were buried in simple text files. Some games had all-new levels based on potato themes. Super Potato Boy became playable in Super Meat Boy. Potatoes were popping up everywhere.
    Today, encoded messages were discovered in the latest Portal 2 promotional video. Decoded, phrases like "You found many.Find the rest." and "Here's Da Beens, Dougtato:" were discovered. Team Fortress 2 was also updated via Steam, making the Potato Hat available but further deepening the mystery with the game's update notes, which read:
    Team Fortress 2
    - [ restricted ]
    What does it all mean? Right now, we've got more questions than we have answers. But the exhaustive Valve PotatoFoolsDay ARG Wiki is archiving everything that the community has unearthed from the 15 games involved.
    Is this all leading up to some Portal 2 announcement? Is this related to the surprise that Valve's Erik Wolpaw promised us last month?
    What we do know is that the last time Valve went to such lengths to confuse and confound its biggest fans, there was a Portal 2 announcement at the end of it. So we'll keep watching.

The thread here is one of many popping up on the games forums trying to decypher what it all means.

So go on, throw your best idea at it :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Obligatory 'Stop with the fancy crap and finish Episode 3/Half Life 3 already!' post.

Seriously though, i love when they do stuff like this. I'm always way too lazy (stupid?) to try and decipher these sorts of things, but it's always interesting to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Half Life of a potato is about a week, so that means Episode 3 is out next week. :pac:

Mr E wrote: »
    The Half Life of a potato is about a week, so that means Episode 3 is out next week. :pac:

It makes perfect sense! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mr E wrote: »

I think they're reincarnating Gordon Freeman as a potato tbh. It'll still sell millions!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mr Potato Head Portal robots I'd say like these guys:

r2p2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ep3 is set in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

stevenmu wrote: »
    Ep3 is set in Ireland ?
    Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

stevenmu wrote: »
    Ep3 is set in Ireland ?

HAHAHAHA :D Best one yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They can put as many stupid easter eggs in the games that they want. I'm just happy I picked up a load of indie games I wanted for a long time for half price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Gordon or GTFO

• Advertisement

Makes me want Mass Effect 3 even more, now :(

Also, IT'Z DA COMBINE

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-06-mystery-concept-art-teases-new-valve-ip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Healium wrote: »

Why do I think Valve just put up those pictures to confuse and infuriate us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Was wondering why Killing Floor had gone Irish and all currency converted to potatoes.

Why do I think Valve just put up those pictures to confuse and infuriate us?
    Oh yeah, there's no way a magazine "secretly" snapped pics of 30 concept art pieces. They may not have anything to do with a new game.

After all this, they'll just be like "SURPRIZE, IT'Z HALF LIFE 3, BETCHES"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the gravity gun now replaced with the formidable spud gun

spudgun300x300(2).jpg

Pew! Pew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

There's a strange update to Super Meat Boy today

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5235/

Ability to Die
    7fa6ce99d281 > 68657873697676697982657765
    Oiled squeaky saws
    Cursor for Level Portal
    HDR

Any relation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Something is definitely up...

Those "updates" makes no sense for Super Meat Boy. Hopefully, an announcement for Half-Life 3 will come in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Some new updates over at RockPaperShotgun

I wonder does this mean we are getting Portal 2 early?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Some new updates over at RockPaperShotgun

I wonder does this mean we are getting Portal 2 early?!
    gibble1.jpg

• Advertisement

There's another tidbit in Defense Grid: The Awakening. Apparently someone on my friends list has the required credentials but unfortunately I do not.

Take a look here for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Dejobaan games posted what's basicly a quick catch up guide via their twitter for the ARG stuff that has happened since april 1st. The last page
    (and what's currently happening in games points pretty much only at one thing - http://dejobaan.net/dl/helpme/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Another update for Killing Floor:
    One additional map has been prematurely released.

Aperture

Yeah, its exactly what you think it is. Also features a slightly more negative female trader-simulation, saying stuff like "I've, come find me...but you probably wont as you will be dead"

The Ball level is pretty cool. It also offers a chance to see some of the new items in Portal 2.

GLaDOS has started invading the wiki, and she's also messing with people's Steam profiles :D

http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_PotatoFoolsDay_ARG_Wiki

Possible Ep3 clue has surfaces. Salt at the ready!

Possible Ep3 clue has surfaces. Salt at the ready!

You say that without linking something? :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Borealis was found

ZREiB.jpg

Discussion is ongoing as usual here

EDIT: I should say, the Borealis appeared as the first concept art for HL2:EP3

DOUBLE EDIT: They also found some code relating to 15/4/2011, which is tomorrow :)

TRIPLE EDIT!: The above picture is not the found picture. I've lost where I seen it, its a zoomed in blurred picture of the top of the Borealis.

consolehetsu.jpg

This one?

• Advertisement

That's the one!

Advertisement