Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Parent entitlements

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi. I am a single parent of an 11 yr old. I am receiving Lone Parents €195pw and rent allowance of €17pw and working avg 19-20 hrs pw for avg €140pw which amounts to €352. SOMETIMES I get maintenance of €30 (of father) but I can not rely on that. After I pay my child minder I am left with very little for bills, rent (€350pm), food etc
    Does anyone know am I entitled to anything else or more rent allowance? I find the community welfare officer here impossible to deal with and I feel I am the only one going in to her office being completely honest with her and getting less then alot of people who are better off then me.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Hi Op
    Not sure I can be much help but I get about the same in lone parents but get more in rent allowance - about 100 pw.

I dont get any maintenance at all. I only work 17 hours per week so dont qualify for FIS. Get onto the website and print the FIS application form - you dont need to go near the CWO to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Feebs10

Hi Dovies. Thanks for that. I applied for FIS and was told I wasn't working enough hours.... Do you know can I appeal my rent allowance?
    They really don't make it easy!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

From the Fis page

FIS is a tax-free weekly payment for employees:
    • Working 19 or more hours per week (or 38 or more hours per fortnight).
    Which is why I dont qualify but you can appeal that decision. With regard to the rent allowance - that is calculated by the SWO so Im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Feebs10

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Rent allowance is means tested, and varies depending on the location. So what one person on here gets will be different to someone else. You can appeal a rent allowance decision however, it should be within 21 days of the decision I think.
    Information is here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/ysys/Appeals/Appeals_Process/

• Advertisement
Advertisement