Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sediment in bottle-conditioned beer

• 06-04-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi folks,

This is something I've wondered about for a while, so hopefully the beer fraternity on this board will be able to enlighten me: Should the sediment in bottle conditioned beers go into the glass or not?

I've always assumed that it shouldn't, but it seems to vary somewhat depending on the style and origin of the beer. I now have the impression that sediment in Belgian beers should remain in the bottle, but that it would be fine for the yeast/sediment in a German Hefeweizen to be poured into the glass.

Meanwhile, I ordered a bottle of Blackrock stout in L Mulligan Grocer a few months ago and when I asked the barman about the sediment he said that in Irish beers it's fine to pour it all into the glass.

Any thoughts/views/facts people can share on this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Should the sediment in bottle conditioned beers go into the glass or not?
    Depends on the beer and personal taste.

If it's a lightly-flavoured beer, like a low-strength English pale ale, the yeast can interfere with the flavour so is best kept out. With stronger-tasting beers it doesn't matter whether it goes in or not, as with the Black Rock: chances are it'll taste the same regardless. And then for some beers it can enhance the flavour: Belgian beers in particular derive a lot of their flavour from the yeast and it would be perfectly normal to swirl the dregs of a bottle of Duvel and add them to the head, but then some people prefer not to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

BeerNut wrote: »
    Depends on the beer and personal taste.

If it's a lightly-flavoured beer, like a low-strength English pale ale, the yeast can interfere with the flavour so is best kept out. With stronger-tasting beers it doesn't matter whether it goes in or not, as with the Black Rock: chances are it'll taste the same regardless. And then for some beers it can enhance the flavour: Belgian beers in particular derive a lot of their flavour from the yeast and it would be perfectly normal to swirl the dregs of a bottle of Duvel and add them to the head, but then some people prefer not to do this.

Thanks.

Advertisement