Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Servant and contrib Old Age Pension

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm a long time public servant on class D PRSI...I'm now mid 40s I spent 19 years in a semi state and have a preserved pension from that...I took voluntary redundancy and am now in a local auth for last 6 years ... paying class D in both cases. A colleague tells me that if I switch to class A now that when I retire in about 20 years I will have my preserved semi state pension, local auth pension (pro rata to my service) and a full OAP contrib pension.. Can anyone confirm this? I believe I need 10 years at class A to qualify for full OAP....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

By the time you retire the new rules will have cut in which means that you will need 30 years of full contributions to get a full OAP (contributory) pension and assuming you were born after 1961 you will not get the pension until you are 68.

I'm not sure if people on the public payroll can effectively buy their way into the contributory old age pension.

Advertisement