Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a single person at least start the adoption process on his/her own?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there,

I'm quite interested in adopting a child or indeed, children in the next few years though I'm not married and I don't see that happening in the short term (2-3 years) as I am single at the moment!
    I understand the adoption process is quite lengthy and so to begin the 'critical path' in terms of time, I had considered to at least begin the adoption process as a single person. Now when I check the on-line resources it seems as though single persons would only be considered for adoption in rare circumstances ie. when the child is a relative etc. (which is not my case)
    So I guess my question is, would starting the process be useful/feasible right now, or should I just wait until I am happily married?

Many thanks for any input, advice or thoughts you may have.

Ruairi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mawbish

Hi Ruairi,

Single parent adoption is possible!

Check out http://www.aai.gov.ie/

The adoption process is VERY long and intensive with several interviews, home visits and workhshops to be completed and it can take many years with no 100% guarantee that you'll be able to adopt a child.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"Who May Adopt?

The following persons are eligible to adopt:

(a) a married couple living together; this is the only circumstance where the law permits the adoption of a child by more than one person:

(b) a married person alone; in this circumstance the spouse's consent to adopt must be obtained, unless they are living apart and are separated under (i) a court decree or (ii) deed of separation or (iii) the spouse has deserted the prospective adopter or (iv) conduct on the part of the spouse results in the prospective adopter, with just cause, leaving the spouse and living apart;

(c) the mother, father or a relative of the child (relative meaning a grandparent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt of the child and/or the spouse of any such person, the relationship to the child being traced through the mother or the father);

(d) a widow or widower.

A sole applicant who does not come within the classes of persons defined under (c) and (d) above may only adopt where the Board is satisfied that, in the particular circumstances of the case, it is desirable to grant an order. It is not possible for two unmarried persons to adopt jointly."

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi ruairi, would u consider fostering. their ar a lot of children in this country needing foster homes. kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 23 phnompenh72

Hi all!

Many thanks for all your posts though now I'm a little confused whether I can adopt or not.. However, at any rate I will contact my local HSE and get the forms and see what happens..
    As far as fostering is concerned, Katy, I hadn't considered it yet but it is something I will look into also, thank you for the suggestion!

Ruairi

Advertisement