Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windbreak for sheep hospital field on exposed wind

• 06-04-2011 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

So I've got the use of a small field which I have designated my "hospital" field. Any slack/sick/needs TLC ewe or lamb get's put there as it's safe and right beside the shed.

Trouble is this wind direction lately. Most winds, and certainly the prevailing winds it's sheltered, but this wind just blows right up it and leaves very little shelter. Due to other works carried out by the owners the ground along the longest wall that had provided good shelter on that wind is now wet.

I'm trying to think of some way to make a wind break. It'll have to be cheap and decent looking as the owner has a rented house beside the field, so no eyesores need apply :)

I'm thinking of something at least semi permanent if not fully permanent. Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

johngalway wrote: »
    So I've got the use of a small field which I have designated my "hospital" field. Any slack/sick/needs TLC ewe or lamb get's put there as it's safe and right beside the shed.

Trouble is this wind direction lately. Most winds, and certainly the prevailing winds it's sheltered, but this wind just blows right up it and leaves very little shelter. Due to other works carried out by the owners the ground along the longest wall that had provided good shelter on that wind is now wet.

I'm trying to think of some way to make a wind break. It'll have to be cheap and decent looking as the owner has a rented house beside the field, so no eyesores need apply :)

I'm thinking of something at least semi permanent if not fully permanent. Ideas?

Never built one, and am sure I couldnt - but first thing that comes to mind, given what you describe - is to built another short wall. But thats a long enough job... And maybe you woyld ruin the field, with another wall jutting out into it?

How soon do you need this? If yer lambing now, am guessing in the next few days / weeks?
    If answer is "soon" then it might be a bit of a trade off with the eyesore requirement, and do something better during the summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Soon enough to be honest. There is a pile of rocks in the field, but I had a look at them earlier and I'd need the help of a machine to roll them.

Spoke to the owners about a windbreak fence. Inside in the house they weren't keen on the idea at all until he suggested we go out into the field to see what I meant. Thankfully the wind was blowing drizzle from the right direction and they got the point ;)

On the way back to the house he asked if I'd put sheep in the field between the house and the road. I had my head bitten off for asking after that field last year, it was going to be the "lawn" :rolleyes: He's spent two years in it now spraying and there's only 50% of it anyways half cleared.

Looking suitably concerned I said there was no way sheep would stay in the field with the state of the fences and walls. That I wouldn't want sheep on the road, or in the neighbours. That they wouldn't want sheep dunging on the path around the house, nor rubbing oil from their fleeces off onto the white walls of the house...

...Now, not only will I have the use of the field, but, he'll pay for the fencing and help me put it up.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What about the windbreak stuff you see landscape gardeners using to protect a hedge.
    Would sheep eat it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Timber fencing panels.. mounted on to a few pallets nailed to a few posts driven into the ground. Sturdy, presentable if done right and can be removed later

Advertisement