Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caio Terra's post fight interview 2011 Pan Jiu Jitsu Championships

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I came here because I wanted to show everybody that technique can beat the steroids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

While I respect his stance...

It's pretty much accusing everyone else bar him of being on gear, which I don't think is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

While I respect his stance...

It's pretty much accusing everyone else bar him of being on gear, which I don't think is fair.

I think hes saying what a lot of people are speculating about some competitors. Looks like the IBJJF are behind his 100% anti- steroid patch idea. Dont know if that will generate enough revenue, to pay for testing expenses throughout the year. Maybe test the finalist's Only.
    Either way...hes got balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Good luck to them getting any competitors if they start testing, thats like kickikng tall people out of the NBA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

are steroids that prevalent at the elite bjj competitions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

are steroids that prevalent at the elite bjj competitions?

According to Felipe Costa and Hillary Williams, they really are! There's many others that would agree.

I think it's a great idea to have Steroid testing. Caio Terra was saying on his Facebook that he's going to sell Anti-Steroid patches to raise money for the testing. I would buy one anyway!

I reckon so, when you consider the amount of training those guys do daily, thats takes a lot to maintain, let alone be actively competitive on top. Caio saying this pretty much confirms it too dont you think?

The same as any top level sportsman these days, if youre not juicing, you can bet your opponent is. So to remain competitive, you have to i guess.

Just because you dont look like brock lesnar doesnt mean youre not on steroids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

So here's the thing. Before testing, before finger pointing or anything goes on, there needs to be a real debate about what we want from the best in the world at BJJ, or indeed any sport.

So steroids are bad mmmmmkay, but we want drug free sport but we still want these guys to be able to train 3 times a day and improve the level of the sport at the top tier. In a schedule like the ones these guys do, something's got to give.

I put this to you as the Devil's Advocate- it is plausibly healthier for a BJJ athlete to take a moderate amount of PEDs in order to allow himself to recover and heal properly between sessions than it is for him to try to keep training regardless.

So let's throw out the Joe Duffy **** and talk for real about the effects of drugs on sport, the potential for harm, the potential for good, and the way you'd like to see the sport go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I personally think that anyone who takes a PED hasn't enough enough faith or confidence in their own technique.

HOWEVER, i do not want to see the best and brightest BJJ guys in the world burn out because the pressure is on them to compete so they need to take illegal supplements that makes them heal quicker.

It's a moot point really, there's guys like me who train one or two times a week could say drugs are for scumbags who don't think they will win. However if i was training 2/3 times a day 4/5 times a week my tune would probably quickly change.

finally, I'm all for a once off tournament where EVERYONE has to be juiced up... just to see how that works. :D

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    finally, I'm all for a once off tournament where EVERYONE has to be juiced up... just to see how that works. :D

Those tournaments happen every day, at the highest level in 99% of sports thats whats happening.

Why do you think the 100m time is improving every olympics??? nobody has figured out a better way to do a little run.

Chris89 wrote: »
    Those tournaments happen every day, at the highest level in 99% of sports thats whats happening.

Why do you think the 100m time is improving every olympics??? nobody has figured out a better way to do a little run.

Someone told me that Mr Bolt gets a certain amount every time he breaks the record, that's why he's slowed down a bit towards the end....

Also my second post was a reference to this clip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

It's kind of a catch 22 isn't it? If you take PED's and win you'll always ask yourself "Is this gold medal worth anything? Am I a fraud?", and if you don't you'll always have that nagging thought in the back of your head that you could be a champ, if you just had that little extra the PED's give you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I suppose it comes down to the decision of the athlete. With the known side effects, you really are taking a serious chance with your health down the road. However, in the present, especially for elite athletes with a 'win at all costs' attitude, it is very hard to reject the tempetation of using PED's because their immediate advantages are so obvious. In the end it just comes down to how a given athlete balances up the two in his mind.

Advertisement