Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to get biking on the road??

• 06-04-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

So I got an A licence (prov) year and half ago and never really got a bike cuz I got a car instead. But I always wanted to own a bike because its a much faster and cheaper way to travel around. Not getting stuck in traffic jams, can park pretty much anywhere for free etc.

I don't have much to spend but I'm considering getting a motorbike. So I'm wondering how much does it cost to get on the road on a decent motorbike?
    Including cost of insurance, protective gear and all...? I'm only like 23yrs with a prov license so I presume the insurance would be quite high...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your looking at about €1000 for gear, including lid.
    Insurance in going to be in the thousands of Euro for most bikes, stick what you like into Quinn.
    Bike you're looking at least €1000 for any decent sort of bike
    Lessons will be about €200-€300, you don't need IBT but I'd strongly advise getting lessons.

You'd do well to be on the road for less the €4000

Edit/

Cotters is doing a stock clearance sale currently for cheap gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think you can get a set of perfectly decent gear for less than €1000 as long as you don't mind mail ordering stuff.
    I bought a fine jacket with armour for 69 and some pants for 150. Airoh helmet cost me 99 and gloves 40. Boots MX ones cost me 250
    Total cost €609 thats a 40% saving straight off and none of the stuff is crap.
    Starting out you can get started for less than that and be saving for nicer gear if you want.
    I dealt with Louis.de one of the biggest mail order bike shops in Germany and they are very good with gear and returns if the stuff doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just to chip in, insurance won't necessarily be in the 000's either. I'm pretty much same details as you, 23, Prov A for 2/3 years, never had a bike before and I got the following quotes with Quinn yesterday:

NSR125 - €540
    AX100 (I know, I know) - €340

So I'd imagine you couldn't be too far from there depending on what bikes you're looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well I'm not a very big guy so I'll need to make sure the gear fits me well before I buy it...

But yeah, looks like I'm look at around 3-4k eur to get on the road...

Also I would need to take lessons as I've never driven a bike before so I'ld wanna be pretty confident with the bike before I venture out onto the roads!

I would love to get a Ducati Monster but I don't know if I can insure one as its above the restriction and all...

A Kawasaki Ninja 250 would be another bike I'ld like to get:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1924103
    Anyone know how much it would cost for me to insure one of these??

Though I think i'll have to leave it for another year till I get the bike as I think its still beyond what I can currently afford...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

At your age insurance wont be in the 1000's just as long as your not looking to get insured on a 600cc supersports bike!:rolleyes:

When I got insured last August on a Bandit 600 I was 22 and had my first prov for less than a year with 0 exp. and got a quote off Quinn for €750, which is very good.

Quinn are usually cheapest for the first timers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think you can get a set of perfectly decent gear for less than €1000 as long as you don't mind mail ordering stuff.
    I bought a fine jacket with armour for 69 and some pants for 150. Airoh helmet cost me 99 and gloves 40. Boots MX ones cost me 250
    Total cost €609 thats a 40% saving straight off and none of the stuff is crap.
    Starting out you can get started for less than that and be saving for nicer gear if you want.
    I dealt with Louis.de one of the biggest mail order bike shops in Germany and they are very good with gear and returns if the stuff doesn't fit.
    Helmet €99
    Boots €250:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Helmet €99
    Boots €250:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Didnt you know that your feet are more important than your head? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Got the helmet on special. Nothing wrong with Airoh.
    I have an Arai as well and wanted something similar but wasn't sure if the visor style would suit me.
    This is one of the S4 models with a peak and a visor.
    I only ever used a road style or an MX style so I wanted to see if it would suit instead of wearing goggles.
    I don't see a big price as being an indication of being better, I got the boots back a ways and they were near enough full price. I was just luckier with the helmet that they were specialling them out.
    The crowd I got mine from are selling Carbon Uvex RS750 full face for 199 down from 479,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

So I got an A licence (prov) year and half ago and never really got a bike cuz I got a car instead. But I always wanted to own a bike because its a much faster and cheaper way to travel around. Not getting stuck in traffic jams, can park pretty much anywhere for free etc.

I don't have much to spend but I'm considering getting a motorbike. So I'm wondering how much does it cost to get on the road on a decent motorbike?
    Including cost of insurance, protective gear and all...? I'm only like 23yrs with a prov license so I presume the insurance would be quite high...
    I would say you would get an alright quote on the Ninja 250 anyway. It should drop a good bit after one year also.
    You can get a half decent set of textiles for €300 jacket and trousers, around €250 for a lid and hopefully pick up boots and gloves for €200 and you would be fairly well kitted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Im 21 & ride a Ninja 250 and Im paying €836 TPF&T. Thats with Quinn, and with a Grade 3 Assesment on a provisional licence.

• Advertisement

Im 21 & ride a Ninja 250 and Im paying €836 TPF&T. Thats with Quinn, and with a Grade 3 Assesment on a provisional licence.
    Do you have 0 NCB? When I was 22 on a Hornet 250 with 1 years NCB I was paying around €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Do you have 0 NCB? When I was 22 on a Hornet 250 with 1 years NCB I was paying around €300.

Yeah, 0 NCB on a new provisional. Hopin it will go down when I get the full, and in the summer if I have some cash to spare I might invest in doing some more training to bring it down more

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

I'm 24 and got my first bike on the road last week,

Bike: gs500 1800
    Helmet: Shark 270
    Jacket: Richa 60 (cheap from out the front of cotters)
    Trousers: Nitro 50
    Boots: Tcx 170
    Gloves: 40
    Insurance: Quinn Fully Comp 730
    Lessons 8Hrs 350
    Grade 2 Assesment 150
    HI Vis, Lock, Tank bag: 60
    Tax: 70
    Restrictor kit: 250

Total: 4k

Next year should be a lot cheaper but still want back protector, and few little bits for doing maintenance. Hope this helps :)

Yeah, 0 NCB on a new provisional. Hopin it will go down when I get the full, and in the summer if I have some cash to spare I might invest in doing some more training to bring it down more

Full didn't make any difference for me at all but once I got 1 years NCB, rather than just discount by 10%, my insurance was 10% off €300 odd rather than the year before where it was 0% off of €700 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

i have my bike mine 2 months and im only gone 19 first timer

Bike: honda varadero 125 €1200
    Helmet: €70
    Jacket: €40
    Trousers: €30
    Boots: €50
    Gloves: €15
    Insurance: €790
    Lessons 16Hrs ibt €500
    Back box : €60

Total: €2750

user_offline.gifreport.gif quote.gif

That's pretty good insurance rates.

A couple of years ago I was looking for insurance quotes for some 250cc bike (nothing fancy) online and I got quotes of around 2000eur... Don't quite remember the name of the insurance company though.

Also that's quite cheap for gear. I was looking at jackets and stuff online and the whole lot was atleast 1000eur...

I'll probably consider getting a bike this summer surely now... If I can get on the road for around 3000eur...

How much would the road tax for a bike be (or is there any)? It'ld be cool if I can keep my car and a bike. I've got car insurance with Quinn so I hopefully I should get cheap insurance. I can keep my car for long rides with my mates and stuff and the bike for the daily commute to college and stuff...

Thanks for the info guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I got the following quotes with Quinn yesterday:

NSR125 - €540
    AX100 (I know, I know) - €340

I started out in 1995 on a GP100 (same as AX100) and the insurance then cost me well over 300 pounds, so 340 euro is relatively speaking a bargain :) I was 23 then, too, with no bike experience and a provisional A1 licence.

1000 euro for gear? No way a beginner is going to spend that. 750 euro would get you kitted out in Dainese boots, trousers, leather or textile jacket, and gloves, and still leave you 250 to buy a lid. You could have bought all that in Lidl the other week for under 300 - not as good, but good enough at least for the first year or two and a lot better than the 'fashion' leather jacket and denim jeans most of us started off with 10 or 20 years ago :)

Scrap the cap!

How much would the road tax for a bike be (or is there any)

€78 for over 201cc bilkes, though they still have it €76 on the Motortax site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

i didnt get my gear in Lidl by the way i got it at the rds bike show saved my self 300 over all the boot are 140 pound on the internet i got them for 50E
    bargain boom !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Start with something cheap and unfaired as you will drop it.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »

Buy these these also:D

professore wrote: »

What would be a good cheap bike you would recommend? Something that can come within my 3-4k budget and would be easy to ride for a beginner... (I don't like cruisers...)

Advertisement