Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think lecturers hold lack of attendance against you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

And I have anecdotal evidence of different tutors having different methods of correcting essays.

This is a very frustrating aspect of essays. I did an essay and was told that it would have benefitted immensely from having sub-headings to break up the ideas. Then I was penalised in another essay by a different person for doing just that - the view was that my headings should have been new sentences at the start of the next paragraph rather than headings. It is annoying as it makes no odds to me whether I do sub-headings or not - I was merely responding to advice in providing them. Incidentally both people were lecturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Rosita wrote: »
    This is a very frustrating aspect of essays. I did an essay and was told that it would have benefitted immensely from having sub-headings to break up the ideas. Then I was penalised in another essay by a different person for doing just that - the view was that my headings should have been new sentences at the start of the next paragraph rather than headings. It is annoying as it makes no odds to me whether I do sub-headings or not - I was merely responding to advice in providing them. Incidentally both people were lecturers.

And that can happen to two people doing the same essay in the same module. One tutor has one notion and the other has a different one. Which shows the benefit of going to class and finding out what is expected by the person correcting the essay (not a dig at the OP, just a general comment).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If the lecturer is giving out the required info in the class, why don't you go along instead of sending them e-mails and complaining about "snotty" replies?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Yeah your every movement can be tracked on it, they should say that to more people!

Doesn't effect me but jesus, you think they'd tell you that!

I have an absolutely crap tutor for one module and its a really tough module and she has no idea what she's talking about, doesn't know the material, doesn't have the materials we need for the end of tutorial test which counts for 80% overall of the tutorials and I emailed my lecturer and I got a really snotty reply saying to mind my own business, these are PHD students and maybe if I went to my lectures I'd be better informed, and I NEVER miss this module's lectures! Some lecturers are just rude and don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

UCD is not in general a distance-learning college. Attendance is technically mandatory at all lectures and as such, it is likely a lecturer would not appreciate regular skipping of lectures by students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

mloc wrote: »
    UCD is not in general a distance-learning college. Attendance is technically mandatory at all lectures and as such, it is likely a lecturer would not appreciate regular skipping of lectures by students.

I went to all my classes in 1st year. I then only went to about 10% of classes after that. I preferred that, working on my own was better IMO. I learned how to think for myself, rather than just write what I think the lecturer wants to hear. Too much emphasis is placed on attendance. What is important is to read, write and formulate you're own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You can read, write and formulate your own opinion without skipping classes. Going to a lecture isn't going to turn you into an automaton. All it will do is further your exposure to the topic.

Advertisement