Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card / Government Levy Charge

Options
  • 06-04-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I have just noticed that I have received the annual government charge on my credit card for €30.

My credit card expired in May 2010. I cleared the balance on my credit card last week, approx March 28th 2011. As far as I remember I actually haven't used my credit card since January 2010.

Is the charge a year in arrears, as in this charge is for April 2010 to April 2011? I haven't used the card in that period, although funds were owing on it up until recently.

Is it right that I get this annual charge on my credit card or should I contest this with the bank.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

AFAIK once you have a credit card, and it's valid it gets charged the govt charge, it doesn't matter if you're not using it. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

You're correct. It's a government charge on every credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dinnynora

The thing is though, it's expired & has been since May 2010. So it has been well over a year since it was last used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

dinnynora wrote: »
    The thing is though, it's expired & has been since May 2010. So it has been well over a year since it was last used.

There it is so! Had it expired in March you'd have been fine. APR is when the fee applies (which would have been in line with the old tax calendar). So if the card was used (or had a balance) between April and May 2010 govt duty is charged.

Advertisement