Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for buying ebooks

Options
  • 06-04-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi

I got a Sony eReader at Christmas. I downloaded quite a few of the free books from Project Gutenberg. Does anyone have any good recommendations for cheap places to buy (non-kindle) ebooks online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

booksonboard.com - I set up a google checkout account with a US address, so I've less restrictions on what I can order.

dieselebooks.com - though this site is full of awful crap (chicklit dressed up as thrillers etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nollaig85

I got one also for Christmas, i have bought a few books from WHsmith in UK and easons.ie but it is nearly impossible to get new releases in eBook format quite frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

nollaig85 wrote: »
    I got one also for Christmas, i have bought a few books from WHsmith in UK and easons.ie but it is nearly impossible to get new releases in eBook format quite frustrating

Bump...
    Is this still the case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Aganica

Slattsy wrote: »
    Bump...
    Is this still the case?

Is what still the case?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aganica wrote: »
    Is what still the case?
    That "it is nearly impossible to get new releases in eBook format", I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Aganica wrote: »
    Is what still the case?
    That "it is nearly impossible to get new releases in eBook format", I'd imagine.

Sorry, thought would have been obvious.

Is it?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Sorry, thought would have been obvious.

Is it?

It was obvious to me anyway.

I didn't find it too hard to get new releases, but I just made sure I shopped around. I since moved to a Kindle, but I always found booksonboard.com to be pretty good for ebooks.

Eoin wrote: »
    It was obvious to me anyway.

I didn't find it too hard to get new releases, but I just made sure I shopped around. I since moved to a Kindle, but I always found booksonboard.com to be pretty good for ebooks.

Is the only difference between a Kindle and a e-book that :
    You can only download books through amazon for kindle
    and
    You've plenty of places for a sony e-book??

Im clueless on it, sorry if its a silly question! :o

You can get a program called Calibre that converts books from different formats.

So in theory you can download a book from Amazon, convert it and then add it to your Sony eBook. Or you can get a normal ePub book and convert it so it will work on a Kindle.

Are there any books in particular you're looking for?

You can get a program called Calibre that converts books from different formats.

So in theory you can download a book from Amazon, convert it and then add it to your Sony eBook. Or you can get a normal ePub book and convert it so it will work on a Kindle.

Are there any books in particular you're looking for?

Its for the other half, I read book after book and no interest in kindles etc so im lost on this.
    But she dropped a hint or 2 that she'd like one and i want to get her reading...
    I guess what i really need to know, if there is no huge difference > whats better?

• Advertisement

It's probably personal preference as to what device is better. Just don't get a tablet that pretends to be an eReader - it's hell on the eyes. The device should have an eInk screen, not an LCD one.

Check out the kindle store and the likes of booksonboards.com and see if you think the selection of titles is good and recent enough for you (it should be). If it isn't, then that might rule out all eReaders.

I like being able to download directly from the kindle store to my reader without having to use a computer, but it's not really a big deal to use a computer either, so it's probably just personal preference.

I might just keep it simple and go with a Kindle so.
    is there any point getting a 3G type when we've wifi at home?

Nah, no need for the 3G in that case.

Nah, no need for the 3G in that case.

Great. Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll second everything Eoin suggested. Kindle, no 3G, and using Calibre to convert books from one format to another if you can't get a particular version. :)

Oh, and I would avoid the touchscreen Kindle. You just don't need a touchscreen and it lacks the nice clicky buttons other Kindles have to move pages forward/back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If you're buying a Kindle, just keep in mind that they're releasing a new one called the Kindle Paperwhite in the near future. The current Kindle might do you fine (I won't be upgrading myself) but it's worth looking at previews (engadget has a video preview) to see which one you prefer, and to determine whether or not it's worth the wait.

Advertisement