Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema

Options
  • 06-04-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see the front page of the leader this week?

Seems planning permission is being sought for a 5 screen cinema on stockwell st / the drogheda town center.

Pro's for that location would be business for the area and jobs etc. but con's would be limitations of the space. Can't imagine it will be the uber cinema some of us wanted. Let's just hope once it opens they don't hire a certain 'auld 'wan from the another cinema :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Ah yes - there was a rumour that she cracked a smile once back in 1987 but that was never proven, so it remains to this day a rumour. Jesus she was a miserable old cow!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I hope it actually happens, Its early days yet. I usually go to Balbriggan for my cinema needs, you can't beat the weekend kids club for €5.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

its going to upstairs in the old drogheda town centre shopping centre where there was /is a head shop and a closed down restaurant and again a level to be built on top of that i.e the roof of the shopping centre
    it will be at least a year away but good fot the centre of drogheda i hope-
    were the cinemas not going into the second phase of scotch hall?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

blingrhino wrote: »
    were the cinemas not going into the second phase of scotch hall?
    The second phase is as dead as a dodo i'm afraid. I think it was a big mistake leaving it out of the first phase to be honest, it would have increased footfall in the centre and stopped the graveyard appearance the place can have at times. I know a few retailers in the Pavilions, Swords who have told me the cinema opening down there made a big change to business. I suppose the developer just saw the dollar signs and wanted as many units filled at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

delly wrote: »
    I hope it actually happens, Its early days yet. I usually go to Balbriggan for my cinema needs, you can't beat the weekend kids club for €5.50.
    There is a thread going on the North Co Dublin region saying Balbriggan has just closed.:(

I hope one opens in Drogheda.

• Advertisement

No way, that would be terrible if true. Its a great spot for the kids and there is always a good crowd at the weekend morning showings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Posher wrote: »
    There is a thread going on the North Co Dublin region saying Balbriggan has just closed.:(

WHAT? Link please.

Ohgodohgodohgod please don't be true. :(
    I've been using that cinema for ages now cause I simply cannot stand the one currently in Drogheda :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 the sultan1

do you notice alot of the good films dont come to drogheda, did fair game come to drogheda??? drogheda dont have 3d as far as i know and always seem to go for more comedies rather and not other good films that deserve to be there, so for me its the dublin cinemas where you have far more selection and comfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

WHAT? Link please.

Ohgodohgodohgod please don't be true. :(
    I've been using that cinema for ages now cause I simply cannot stand the one currently in Drogheda :(
    :( Hopefully it will be taken over by another company.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229956

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

so for me its the dublin cinemas where you have far more selection and comfort

And melted butter on your popcorn!! Thats the UCI chain I think - hopefully its them that are moving into Stockwell Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Deadly! What Drogheda needs is another cinema showing animated bol locks and DNA killing action/rom coms. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

upstairs in the town center in the headshop and old restraunt?!

is that not a little small? Like i could probably stick a projector in a shed and have more room than that. Also the company building them i done a search on them and they dont seem to have built too many cinemas, if any at all.

Im a little hesitant about this TBH, and i would love a proper cinema in the town more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

What a shame Balbriggan closed.

We've been to the one in Ashbourne and it's good. Can't see it survive though if Balbriggan couldn't.

CMpunked wrote: »
    upstairs in the town center in the headshop and old restraunt?!

is that not a little small? Like i could probably stick a projector in a shed and have more room than that. Also the company building them i done a search on them and they dont seem to have built too many cinemas, if any at all.

Im a little hesitant about this TBH, and i would love a proper cinema in the town more than anyone else.

According to the Drogheda Leader, they applied for planning permission to raise the roof of the building, move the toilets downstairs and do a huge overhaul of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Posher wrote: »

I hope one opens in Drogheda.

Just as an update to the current status of the cinema in Balbriggan, it has reopened under new management. The film times can be found on http://www.balbriggancinema.com

Oh thank God -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

weve done well in last years coming from the Abbey Shoppin Centre Cinema tbh all our existing cinema needs is 3d and more films....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone any idea if there was a timeframe for this to be completed? Work seems to have been moving along well lately. They have also started work on the car park, other than that though its hard to get a feel of how far along the work is.

Noticed the car park seems to have changed a bit when I drove by the other day, but didn't go in; am I right in saying they've moved the exit to beside the entrance? Will make it easier getting out of town if so, so that's a good move.

Reading back over the thread, find it funny how worried I was about the Balbriggan cinema; haven't been there in ages. Since I can drive on motorways now, it's Swords all the way for me now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I think the exit on the entrance side is only a temporary measure while the work is being done on Stockwell lane end. I think its only active during certain times of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

The cinema in Ashbourne is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

markc1184 wrote: »
    I think the exit on the entrance side is only a temporary measure while the work is being done on Stockwell lane end. I think its only active during certain times of the day.

Stockwell st is to be closed for a day next week to facilate the construction of a tower crane.
    I'd say it'll be erected just inside the exit of the car park as that area has access right to the roof and is in off the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Off to Odein in coolock cause no decent cinema here?

Be great when the cinema opens in Scotch Hall hopefully bring people back into the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Be great when the cinema opens in Scotch Hall hopefully bring people back into the town

this will never happen !

town centre one is the only one that will be built for the forseeable future.

Yeah, wouldn't count on the Scotch Hall one being open anytime soon.

Here's a picture of the current state of the site. It's a mess and doesn't look like any work has been done for ages.

abbq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

blingrhino wrote: »
    this will never happen !

town centre one is the only one that will be built for the forseeable future.

Seeing as it is been funded by NAMA and they have agreed to start at end of September think it will deffo go through

Advertisement