Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

websites that display well on phones?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I have a Nokia touchscreen phone which i tend to use from time to time when i'm bored on a bus or something in order to pass the time. There's not that many websites that are both easy on the data and that display well on the phone too. At the minute i tend to just mess around on boards, facebook and RTE but that can get boring. Just wondering what entertaining or useful websites other people use on their phones that don't eat up too much data. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Mmm not alot. Generally all the websites just issue apps for phones weather its Windows Phone, Android or iPhone to make better use of the content they display. Theres little to do on a browser in my opinion. If boards.ie would issue a cert to use on a forum app i probably would never use as its the only reason i ever launch the browser on the phone since everything else has an app.

Some one else might have suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

there aren't many worthwhile apps for these crappy nokia phones though unfortunately.

I forgot to mention Wapedia, which is just wikipedia for phones, great little site that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can you install Opera? It optimises data for mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

If you have a recent nokia phone opera 11 is really good, it does proper text wrapping (and pinch to zoom if you have an N8) which means you don't have to constantly scroll left to right to read stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Opera Mini even better, you can surf basically anything with low data usage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What phone do you have?

On my Galaxy S, with the big screen, everything is fine and I have no issues at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

m.boards.ie

I don't recall who adapted the mobile version but he deserves the Order of XSLT Medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Unless there's an app for these services, I use the following mobile websites. They all load fast and look well on mobile screens.

m.breakingnews.ie (for Irish news)
    m.dropbox.com (to access my dropbox files)
    www.thejournal.ie (Irish news again)
    m.arstechnica.com (tech news and commentary)

But in reality I've found that, rather than using site-specific apps (such as the Engadget app) or using their mobile website, I use a Google Reader app to view RSS subscription feeds for about 20 or 30 sites. Each article is formatted correctly for your phone's screen and it's much quicker and appealing. Just takes a little while to setup in the first place. It also means you can view your Google Reader feeds on another phone or PC as well.

Advertisement