Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio

Options
  • 06-04-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Does anyone know if any of the Dublin radio stations run competitions/interviews or the likes for unsigned bands?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

not being smart, but make a list of stations and contact them to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Virgo80

yeah thanks for that. I thought of it already.
    was just trying to see if any band on here had already taken part into any radio show...
    thanks............

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Virgo80 wrote: »
    yeah thanks for that. I thought of it already.
    was just trying to see if any band on here had already taken part into any radio show...
    thanks............

Actually I'll be looking for the same list so if you start it on here, I'll add some on to it. It would be nice to have a comprehensive list up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭niall1976

Nova do a show call locals only on a Sunday evening in their Sunday School slot. We're appearing on it in a couple of weeks.

Phantom do some stuff on Icon on a Weds night too.

Dublin City FM do some stuff on a Sunday too on their On The Ball programme.

Thats all I know of.

Cheers,

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You'll probably get more of a response in Bands & Musicians.

• Advertisement

Hi Niall,
    How did you go about in order to get invited to Nova?
    Did you just send them your demo?
    Just trying my best now to take the right steps at the right time, though a lot of it is luck as well...
    I am interested in hearing inspiring stories from aspirant artists like my band. I am their manager, and want the best for them, as they put so much into it!
    Cheers
    PS would love to hear your band!
    niall1976 wrote: »
    Nova do a show call locals only on a Sunday evening in their Sunday School slot. We're appearing on it in a couple of weeks.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭niall1976

You can send them demo's by email to nova@nova.ie but I think they are booked out on locals only for at least 10 weeks.

Its not easy to get on any station. I was speaking to one of the heads of music today and he was giving me some insight into the submissions he recieves.

He was really straight and said that he listens to every single submission they receive. They don't like lots of marketing jargon or pr stunts. Just a simple bio with a couple of pics on it and a really good quality radio friendly recording. They generally expect about 3 tracks and will listen to an average of 30 seconds on the track because of teh volume of music they receive.

I thought they were very genuine.

I would say be shameless. Use any connections you have to get to meet the right people or get your record in their hands.

Recording in the right studios or playing the right venues is crucial. We have made some great contacts by paying a little extra for a studio and meeting people with connections. The same with venues. Places like Sweeneys, Grand Social and Workmans club have great connections.

When we played in Workmans, Chris from Muse came and played after us with Bi Polar empire.

Just be relentless.

Our album was finished last night so I will PM you a link to a couple of tracks once they are mastered next week. We've just been signed by a really iconic indie label so I'm hoping we'll get some traction, but if not it was bloody good fun making it and I've made some great friends in the band.

PS: Sorry for the ramble :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kheed

Brendan Hickey invites unsigned band on to his local radio show, studio in dundrum town centre. My band played a few tunes/interview with him a few times. Sound bloke. They'll record the session and post it on their site etc

http://www.ontheverge.ie/joomla/

Icon on Phantom and locals only on NOVA already mentioned are the only others I know of.

Do share the wealth if you find any other good outlets!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Niall1976 is pretty much on the money imo. Its all about contacts and professionalism. These guys get demos and emails from bands up and down the country constantly so cant listen to everything. Im actually very impressed about those guys listening to 30 seconds of every band to be honest! The first things that may catch their eye is a professional press pack (which shows you mean business) or a name they know and trust (and they know wont be wasting their time). On being relentless, one thing ill add is to always be friendly at the same time. Some managers can be a bit too aggressive and end up pushing contacts away. I know this from personal experience and the end result is people wont want to work with you (personal experience is a manager i had, not talking about me before anyone thinks im a ******** hehe). Basically, if a record bloke/venue owner/PR guy/Promoter/Other Bands etc etc finds it hard to deal with the band or the manager, the music doesnt matter unless they see serious dollar signs and its worth the hassle and if they need a band for something like a support on a tour or whatever, they will usually go with someone they get along with over a really good band they dont gel with. Having said all that, you seem like a genuine bloke who is in it cos you like the bands music instead of making a quick few euro and thats something that goes a long way. Best of luck with it and hope it all goes well.

Thanks for that kheed! Just sent them a mail,see what happens!
    kheed wrote: »
    Brendan Hickey invites unsigned band on to his local radio show, studio in dundrum town centre. My band played a few tunes/interview with him a few times. Sound bloke. They'll record the session and post it on their site etc
    http://www.ontheverge.ie/joomla/

Icon on Phantom and locals only on NOVA already mentioned are the only others I know of.

Do share the wealth if you find any other good outlets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

The Near FM Sessions every thursday @ 8pm feature unsigned acts

there are also loads of other music programmes on near who feature unsigned bands and get them in for sessions depending on the genre

if ya want more info pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 8 939DSFM

Dublin South FM have a few shows that promote local unsigned talent. Send an email through to Sarah on info@dublinsouthfm.ie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Dublin City FM also feature unsigned acts on some shows. Best ring 8658020 to determine the best slot in regard to your particular music genre.
    www.dublincityfm.ie and search music schedule either.

Advertisement