Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question on new sheep tagging

• 06-04-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

few questions on new sheep tags if anyone could help please.

1. can i still use the my old sluaghter(short term ) tag for lambs goin to the mart ready for slaughter next week or do i need to us new mart tags.

2. can i still use the new slaughter tag for lambs being sold in mart but are going to be slaughter after mart. e.g lambs which are ready for slaughter but just sold in mart to a factor agent etc.. or do i have to us the new mart tag. similar to old (long term tag).

3. when i purchasse store lambs this year do i still need to tag the right ear when selling again to mart or factor? or is this gone and it is only the left ear tag which is left until they turn 12 months at which stage they need a electronic tag?

4. finally lambs which i had kept myself last year and i only had but a standard old style long term tag in the left ear. can i apply for an identical electronic tag for the other ear now before they turn 12 months. or is this only possible for lambs which i bought in and have since breed.

lot of questions i no but any advice greatful thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Hi cattleman did you ever get the answers to these questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

cattle man wrote: »
    few questions on new sheep tags if anyone could help please.

1. can i still use the my old sluaghter(short term ) tag for lambs goin to the mart ready for slaughter next week or do i need to us new mart tags.

2. can i still use the new slaughter tag for lambs being sold in mart but are going to be slaughter after mart. e.g lambs which are ready for slaughter but just sold in mart to a factor agent etc.. or do i have to us the new mart tag. similar to old (long term tag).

3. when i purchasse store lambs this year do i still need to tag the right ear when selling again to mart or factor? or is this gone and it is only the left ear tag which is left until they turn 12 months at which stage they need a electronic tag?

4. finally lambs which i had kept myself last year and i only had but a standard old style long term tag in the left ear. can i apply for an identical electronic tag for the other ear now before they turn 12 months. or is this only possible for lambs which i bought in and have since breed.

lot of questions i no but any advice greatful thanks.:)
    Sorry but can only answer 4. Yes you can order e-tags to match the tags you have already put in.

I mostly sell to an agent so i dont know the answers to 1 to 3. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just putting this in for information purposes.

I'm going to qualify this post by asking people to check for themselves, just in case I have gotten something wrong here.

There was a Department of Agriculture inspector at the mart today, said I'd ask him what the story is. Nice guy, easy to talk to.

If you have breeding ewes that were born before 1 Jan 2010, the existing tags they have are fine, you don't need to do anything with them.

Lambs born in 2010 which are now hoggets need two tags, one in each ear.

Lambs born in 2011 (lambs under 9 months of age really..) need just one tag for the mart. BUT, if you intend on keeping them over 9 months of age then you should have two tags in those lambs before they're 9 months old.

Lambs under 9 months of age which you intend to bring directly from your holding to the factory may use the small yellow slaughter tags* (*not 100% on that point).

There were wether hoggets there today with just slaughter tags (small yellow) in them, he said they wouldn't be allowed to be sold that way. They should have had two tags in them.

One farmer had ewe lambs under 9 months of age with two tags (big yellow) each, inspector said that wasn't really necessary but that the next man who bought them wouldn't need to do anything with them. The next pen up was more ewe lambs under 9 months of age and they had just one tag (big yellow) in them, he said they were fine.

Do your own homework though, just to be sure. I was a bit nervous approaching the inspector to tell the truth but he was sound out and just wanted to make sure things were being done the right way.

If anyone who can get to Maam Cross mart next Saturday July 23rd (sale starts at 11am I believe) there will be another inspector there that day to check pens and answer questions.

One more thing, they announced at the mart that ALL sheep must be tagged before entering the property, no sheep will be allowed entry into the mart even if you intend tagging them in the pen that morning. I assume this could apply to all other marts too but can't confirm that.

Advertisement