Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike?? outside House of Waterford Crystal

• 06-04-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Any idea what’s happening here. About 40 - 50 mainly guys in yellow safety vests waking in a circle in front of Crystal plant on the mall since I drove past it this morning. No one carrying a placards or signs saying what it's about

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/cam/index.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

I was just about to start a similar thread :)

I heard they are against GPS devices being fitted in the city councils fleet of vehicles. Can't find confirmation of that anywhere yet.

IMHO, its a bit cynical that they are outside the House of Waterford Crystal and not outside there depot in the Northern Industrial Estate, or at least across the road where the city councils reception is. That visitor centre is probably one of the few things bringing money into the city at the moment.

Anyone know the official status of the strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

thomasm wrote: »
    Any idea what’s happening here. About 40 - 50 mainly guys in yellow safety vests waking in a circle in front of Crystal plant on the mall since I drove past it this morning. No one carrying a placards or signs saying what it's about

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/cam/index.htm

Hmm, I passed by and they are still there. Usually a strike would have pickets, but maybe its a spontaneous thing.

What type of workers there would be wearing high-vis jackets?

dayshah wrote: »
    Hmm, I passed by and they are still there. Usually a strike would have pickets, but maybe its a spontaneous thing.

What type of workers there would be wearing high-vis jackets?

I should have said..apparently its city council workers and not waterford crystal people. Still havent found a confirming link though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The old ESB building is now City Council offices I think so that'd be why they're protesting there. Not much of a protest though if they don't have so much as a sign telling people what they're giving out about!

mecco wrote: »
    I was just about to start a similar thread :)

I heard they are against GPS devices being fitted in the city councils fleet of vehicles. Can't find confirmation of that anywhere yet.

IMHO, its a bit cynical that they are outside the House of Waterford Crystal and not outside there depot in the Northern Industrial Estate, or at least across the road where the city councils reception is. That visitor centre is probably one of the few things bringing money into the city at the moment.

Anyone know the official status of the strike?

There are laws against picketing businesses that have nothing to do with a strike.

Maybe W Crystal are offering 50% off to anyone who dresses as a road worker?

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    There are laws against picketing businesses that have nothing to do with a strike.

Maybe W Crystal are offering 50% off to anyone who dresses as a road worker?

And 75% to anyone who walks repeatedly in circles!! :D As nkay said, city council have offices in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Well I was passing today and a group of 10 tourists stopped me to ask could they go in WC and had tired before and were hesitant to go past group as they were sort of blocking the door. They thoughT it had to do with WC

I mean city is bad enough but if I was working in WC I would be pretty annoyed if these guys were stoppping tourists from coming in / putting them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm in City Square, I'll float down now and give you a boards scoop :)

Does anyone have a link for tgat webcam that looks down on it?

Edit: just saw the OP

ziedth wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link for tgat webcam that looks down on it?

In the OP Ziedth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Nobody consulted me when the government gave the banks a shedload of our money , who can I picket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Well I was passing today and a group of 10 tourists stopped me to ask could they go in WC and had tired before and were hesitant to go past group as they were sort of blocking the door. They thoughT it had to do with WC

I mean city is bad enough but if I was working in WC I would be pretty annoyed if these guys were stoppping tourists from coming in / putting them off

Thats well out of order, WC should have them moved on if its nothing to do with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

thomasm wrote: »
    Thats well out of order, WC should have them moved on if its nothing to do with them

Exactly as hanging about the entrance to the buliding or slowly walking past it is going to deter people from going in. They have enough intelligence to know this. No doubt if they are questioned about this they will say they weren't doing anything.

I saw 2 bus loads pulling in there on my way down to Tower hotel and you could see the tour operators and guides looking and wondering if they could get in and what was it all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Striking over this?! What next? Striking because they change the scent of the air freshener in the cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Striking because they don't want anyone to know they are skiving off!! Lovely...Actually, what a joke - Bring on Public Sector Reform....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Stupid reason to strike. There can't be any logical reason to object to this. I think its a good idea.

It's standard practice for delivery drivers AFAIK. Tools IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Striking because they don't want anyone to know they are skiving off!! Lovely...Actually, what a joke - Bring on Public Sector Reform....

They are scared that their open secret (skiving) will get out. I happen to be in the Northeren Ind Estate most mornings.. should see the speed any of the WCC vans drive at.. 5/10mph at a push. There is always a line a traffic behind them all the way in the Cleaboy Rd.

Pity they don't put those things on buses, and then link it to a website or Android App and have electronic signage.
    They are scared that their open secret (skiving) will get out. I happen to be in the Northeren Ind Estate most mornings.. should see the speed any of the WCC vans drive at.. 5/10mph at a push. There is always a line a traffic behind them all the way in the Cleaboy Rd.

Whats the speed limit in the estate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

This is a joke IMO, alot of private sector fleets have these devices these days, if they are doing their jobs surely they have nothing to worry about.

Not a sign of them on the webcam now. Must have come to their clocking out time!

Still no word on what it was about then?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Not a sign of them on the webcam now. Must have come to their clocking out time!

Still no word on what it was about then?

I was down there and a friendly fellow across the road told me it was indeed the GPS tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

There reason to strike is crazy, they are obviously trying to hide were there vehicles are or how fast they get there.

I would hazard a guess as to say they are using the vans for personal reasons and now if they are tracked they can't and can get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

As far as i know the council workers are striking because when they showed up for work this morning that all the vans etc were fitted out with gps without consultation with the staff.

Also its an unofficial strike so far thats why theres no plackards.

Id imagine they picked waterford crystal as there are council offices there and the impact is bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Public sector showing itself up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Why would they need to be consulted? While I obviously don't have knowledge of the specifics of their contracts, I'd imagine that these devices don't pose a safety risk to the drivers and don't require any additional training to use.

Strikes and actions over minor issues like this is what dilutes the impact of legitimate strikes i.e. action taken to protect jobs or highlight a gross breach in employee rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

this is standard practice as far as i know now for all heavy goods vehicles or a vehicle that has a tachograph system to have these installed, there is one on my 2011 truck at work and only found this out yesterday when my transport manager was goin through the technicals of my truck on his laptop, they aint used for watching the driver as such but for vehicle management and in a worse case scenario for crash forensics if in an accident, as i hit the brakes hard on monday to avoid a collision and he was able to tell me the date,time and even show the location of where it happened on his laptop!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think all Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have em, it is 2011 after all, must get one for my old banger in case its stolen.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

danjo-xx wrote: »
    must get one for my old banger in case its stolen.:D

Better ask her permission first

Advertisement