Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike?? outside House of Waterford Crystal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

seanybiker wrote: »
    Better ask her permission first

I see you've met her:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I see you've met her:p

Hahaha easy known she isn't on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darrersbag

Jesus these lads are unreal. When are we going to get pubic sector reform and get shot of the union mickymen behind this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

darrersbag wrote: »
    Jesus these lads are unreal. When are we going to get pubic sector reform and get shot of the union mickymen behind this carry on.

Ah jaysus. Well bud how ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

AdMMM wrote: »
    Striking over this?! What next? Striking because they change the scent of the air freshener in the cars?

Dont paint them all with the one brush there were probably fellas there who didnt want to be there, scared of being called scabs and whatever else,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Let the fookers find another job if they have a problem with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

chelloveks wrote: »
    Let the fookers find another job if they have a problem with it!

Yeh cause its as easy as that with the amount of jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fbrophy

The action is limited to the outdoor workers represented by SIPTU. The rest of WCC staff (represented by IMPACT & LAPO) were at there desks as normal this morning and have nothing to do with this unoffical action.

The action is indeed over the fitting of GPS devices to WCC vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

are they that thick that they think there goin to be watched! ! All the council are doin is fleet management by fitting them! It gives them all the tech info of the vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

are they that thick that they think there goin to be watched! ! All the council are doin is fleet management by fitting them! It gives them all the tech info of the vehicle

they SHOULD be watching them... at least the serial skivers anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Looks like their back out there again today

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

darrersbag wrote: »

Unfortunately when Management neglect to consult accredited employee representatives on changes to work practices this is what happens.

As for Public Sector reform - that is what the Croke Park Agreement hopes to deliver .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

NO SYMPATHY for this strike what so ever. GPS on company vehicles is normal practice, its also an excellent safety device which aid location in the event of an incident. These lads are afraid they will get caught with their company vehicle parked up outside their house for a few days, complete wasters.

Also, striking and detering tourists from entering Waterford Crystal is a disgrace, they dont give to hoots about the people of the city and just want to cover their own patch, its disgusting. I saw a couple of UK tourists hanging around outside the area, im pretty sure they were wondering is it safe to go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Just watching the web cam, why do they have to walk in front of the building why not walk up in front of the offices it looks very messy with buses parking, I'm sure tourists getting off the buses must feel intimidated seeing a group of men standing beside their bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

deise blue wrote: »
    Unfortunately when Management neglect to consult accredited employee representatives on changes to work practices this is what happens.

Absolute and total bull***t, this entails no change to work practices....aside from possibly stopping them from goofing off. This kind of attitude is one of the many reasons that Ireland is f**ked.

Absolute and total bull***t, this entails no change to work practices....aside from possibly stopping them from goofing off. This kind of attitude is one of the many reasons that Ireland is f**ked.

Of course it's an amendment to current work practices.

I'm quite sure that there is a Union/Employer code of practice in this particular case where all such changes must be introduced by consultation , something the Employer seems to have neglected to do in this case.

Two sides to every story !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Of course it's an amendment to current work practices.

I'm quite sure that there is a Union/Employer code of practice in this particular case where all such changes must be introduced by consultation , something the Employer seems to have neglected to do in this case.

Two sides to every story !

99% of private fleets in the country have GPS tracking, many of the public service fleets have them so why are these guys so special?

Kindly explain how a GPS tracking device on a vehicle is an amendment to work practices??? What consultation is required exactly?

Some people obviously do not have enough to do in their work as they have time to think of up this bullsh*t!!!

Typical mindset of some members of the public service. No wonder the public who's taxes are being used to pay their wages have had their fill of this sh*te :mad:

The fact that they are not holding placards showing the general public what exactly they are protesting about says it all, they are ashamed of such petty bull and using it as an excuse to take a day off.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Listening to 11am news on WLR and apparently some workers have returned to work. Council getting an injunction against the others to protect their investment in viking triangle and WC.

Workers asking why is money getting spent on this area and not fixing broken windows in Larchville. Seems like they are trying to distract from the GPS issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

next wrote: »
    Just watching the web cam, why do they have to walk in front of the building why not walk up in front of the offices it looks very messy with buses parking, I'm sure tourists getting off the buses must feel intimidated seeing a group of men standing beside their bus

To get maximun publicity ??

Surely there's more issues on the table than just the trackers
    What's the camera for anyway, big bro deise style?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Thats bull in fariness, GPS is normal practice, why the hell should management need to ask employees permission to fit a safety device for their benefit which also prevents them from sitting on their a$$ all day at home pretending to work. We pay for these morons, the union should be ashamed and it is this kind of bull that leads to everyone hating the public service when there is a lot of people doing good work.

They should be forced away from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They're not there at the moment. Must be tea and scone time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They're not there at the moment. Must be tea and scone time.

Its called off, installation of gps in vehicles will continue but won't be active until a code of practice is agreed. Meeting on the 14th April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trickcyclist

Strike over, ye can all go back to your pathetic, soulless, bad-spelling
    -filled lives now. Up the cats !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its called off, installation of gps in vehicles will continue but won't be active until a code of practice is agreed. Meeting on the 14th April.

Code Of Practice eh?, my bets is the workers will want this COP to include the ability for them to turn off the devices when they see fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

mecco wrote: »
    I was just about to start a similar thread :)

I heard they are against GPS devices being fitted in the city councils fleet of vehicles. Can't find confirmation of that anywhere yet.

IMHO, its a bit cynical that they are outside the House of Waterford Crystal and not outside there depot in the Northern Industrial Estate, or at least across the road where the city councils reception is. That visitor centre is probably one of the few things bringing money into the city at the moment.

Anyone know the official status of the strike?

This is absolutely crazy, what have they got against GPS devices? Why do they think they needed to be consulted? It reminds me of the Garda anger over the installment of the PULSE system, a system that was put in place to make their jobs easier.

Excellent news & exactly what should have happened in the first place - progress by consultation between employers & Unions.

Perhaps management won't be as quick to change work practises without consultation & agreement in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Excellent news & exactly what should have happened in the first place - progress by consultation between employers & Unions.

Perhaps management won't be as quick to change work practises without consultation & agreement in future.

I'm genuinely curious as to what work practices they felt were being changed without their consultation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Max Powers wrote: »
    Thats bull in fariness, GPS is normal practice, why the hell should management need to ask employees permission to fit a safety device for their benefit which also prevents them from sitting on their a$$ all day at home pretending to work. We pay for these morons, the union should be ashamed and it is this kind of bull that leads to everyone hating the public service when there is a lot of people doing good work.

They should be forced away from there

Why should they be ashamed, its not an official dispute.

I don't think there should be an objection to GPS, but was it so difficult for management just to inform people beforehand?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With respect, I disagree. I see no problem with what management did, and I don't see how this needed to go through the individual workers for consultation. Its not directly effecting their job or working conditions. I see no reason why you should strike because you are having a GPS tracker fitted to ensure the vehicles are where they should be and if they get stolen they can be located etc.

Then to go on strike outside Waterford Crystal resulting in tourists not wanting to "cross the picket" or having a clue whats going on and leaving, further damaging an already damaged and suffering local economy. Add this onto the mess that is seen on the streets with bins overflowing and streets not being cleaned despite tourists walking around - probably the same tourists who couldn't visit the Crystal Factory and they get an even bigger picture of Waterford but find its a complete mess.

The workers on strike try and justify their strike by saying the money should be spent elsewhere! Absolutely shocking behaviour that has only gone and damaged Waterford - regardless of how small the damage is, businesses are struggling enough as it is.

The country is struggling financially and they strike over THIS? Its petty and angers everyone else struggling to make a living with and without a job.

I'm delighted management moved to the courts to block the strike and the workers agreed to get back into work. Lets clean up the mess Waterford has please, and work overtime if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

On the subject of council workers, but slighty off topic. Found it the other day. Not exactly safe for work or if children around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8hbJyBfr4

Advertisement