Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike?? outside House of Waterford Crystal

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

deise blue wrote: »
    Excellent news & exactly what should have happened in the first place - progress by consultation between employers & Unions.

Perhaps management won't be as quick to change work practises without consultation & agreement in future.

No, its basically a pathetic attempt to get some publicity that failed miserably. :rolleyes:

With comments like this from people like you (who are losing their grip on whatever little power they thought they had a thrived on), its no wonder the public sector gets the bad publicity they do especially when people like this are involved trying to justify their position and their pathetic attempts at getting their own way.

Like a bunch of spoilt children who are too used to getting their own way, if it doesn't happen they throw a tantrum until people start taking notice.. Sad and very very pathetic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Strike over, ye can all go back to your pathetic, soulless, bad-spelling
    -filled lives now. Up the cats !

Banned for one week, Welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

ziedth wrote: »
    Banned for one week, Welcome to the fourm.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Well if their strike is off maybe they can get moving and start cleaning up the streets again the whole town is filthy with bins overflowing - I walked from the quay to Manor Street this morning and the streets were just disgusting.

I heard a couple of tourists saying they were leaving early & heading to Cork as they could not get into WC, the streets were filthy and that. Very sad and I actually was ashamed that some of our city residents are damaging what is left of our city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    With respect, I disagree. I see no problem with what management did, and I don't see how this needed to go through the individual workers for consultation. Its not directly effecting their job or working conditions. I see no reason why you should strike because you are having a GPS tracker fitted to ensure the vehicles are where they should be and if they get stolen they can be located etc.

Well, if management were more effective it wouldn't have come to this. There simply needs to be some basic trust.

The GPS thing is small beer, and I doubt that is the real cause of the breakdown of trust. Recently bin collections were privatised, which is a big issue for the workers involved, yet there was no strike. Maybe people will appreciate the value of these workers when they see what a kip the place is when they stop working for less than one day.

Informing workers of changes is just good management practice.

I don't think its worth going on strike over GPS. But all these things have a context. Do you know the full facts of the case? I know I don't.

Maybe you should show a little respect for the workers involved until you know the full facts behind the dispute?

About all we have established is that GPS is involved, the rest is idle speculation.

A link for those who wish to be better informed:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0407/1224294100856.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

dayshah wrote: »
    Well, if management were more effective it wouldn't have come to this. There simply needs to be some basic trust.
    Do we know if the management told the workers and then the workers went on strike, or did the workers just find out and then go on strike?
    Maybe people will appreciate the value of these workers when they see what a kip the place is when they stop working for less than one day.
    They get paid through our taxes to do this work, we don't need to thank them for doing the job they are paid to do.
    I don't think its worth going on strike over GPS. But all these things have a context. Do you know the full facts of the case? I know I don't.
    Agreed, but there is no excuse whatsoever for doing what they did. They showed massive disrepect to the City to picket outside the prime tourist site and leave the city covered in rubbish. They could have resolved this issue without doing what they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Perhaps management won't be as quick to change work practises without consultation & agreement in future.
    I will call for the strikers blood when WC goes bust due to lack of visitors, caused by these ****érs stopping said visitors from going in...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    No, its basically a pathetic attempt to get some publicity that failed miserably. :rolleyes:

With comments like this from people like you (who are losing their grip on whatever little power they thought they had a thrived on), its no wonder the public sector gets the bad publicity they do especially when people like this are involved trying to justify their position and their pathetic attempts at getting their own way.

Like a bunch of spoilt children who are too used to getting their own way, if it doesn't happen they throw a tantrum until people start taking notice.. Sad and very very pathetic!!

What exactly do you mean by " people like you " & " losing their grip on whatever little power they thought they had a thrived on " - as well as being extremely presumptuous it really doesn't make much sense - does it ?

As I said consultation between employers & unions is the only way to progress matters which is what is now going to happen.

Pity management didn 't take that option initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Pity the workers didn't just accept the GPS system and get on with their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Hmmm my workplace has introduced a 'clock-in' system to make sure I'm actually at work, and without my personal consultation! HOW DARE THEY! Who do they think they are trying to see if I'm at work or not?

Think I'll go on strike.

• Advertisement

As I said consultation between employers & unions is the only way to progress matters which is what is now going to happen.
    Unofficial strikes usually means that the union doesn't even think it's an issue. Do they work directly for the CC, or through another company. If the latter, the company may consider anther contract...

Do we know if the management told the workers and then the workers went on strike, or did the workers just find out and then go on strike?

They get paid through our taxes to do this work, we don't need to thank them for doing the job they are paid to do.

Agreed, but there is no excuse whatsoever for doing what they did. They showed massive disrepect to the City to picket outside the prime tourist site and leave the city covered in rubbish. They could have resolved this issue without doing what they did.

More info here:
    http://www.wlrfm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=40&Itemid=1004

http://www.wlrfm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=551&catid=40:waterford-news&Itemid=1004

I don't think they should been outside W Crystal, they should have done it across the road. I know there are council offices in the old ESB building but its not what most people consider City Council HQ.

However, why should they clean up the rubbish if they are on strike, sort of defeats the purpose. It does strike me however how filthy people are at 02.30 in the morning.

What I've gathered is that the workers were concerned that “From what information we’ve gathered, once this system is in the lorry, even when the lorry is not switched on, the system is tracking and that’s where the trouble is arising,”

It seems management just didn't inform them what the GPS does, and gave people the impression it was like having a tape recorder in the cab of the vehicle.

Its all a bit silly and could easily be avoided. But the notion of some posters that this is what has brought the country to ruin is fairly ridiculous. Are bin men really the cause of all our problems?

rayc wrote: »
    Hmmm my workplace has introduced a 'clock-in' system to make sure I'm actually at work, and without my personal consultation! HOW DARE THEY! Who do they think they are trying to see if I'm at work or not?

Think I'll go on strike.

Well you might want management to inform you about the machine and actually explain how the machine works.

Otherwise you'll get a very small wage packet despite putting in a full week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

There is some serious amount of speculation here and even better is people speculating, others taking the speculation as fact and condemning people because of the speculation they believe to be fact.

This is even before the people who are creating their own hypothesis and then believing their own hypothesis and getting riled up about an issue they created in their own head.

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Well you might want management to inform you about the machine and actually explain how the machine works.

Otherwise you'll get a very small wage packet despite putting in a full week.

The question regarding what "changes to work practices" has been asked a number of times. If the GPS unit requires some training them maybe there is some (very very) small case to be made, but still not worth striking about. If it's the type of GPS unit that most company fleets would have (i.e. you don't even know the unit is there) then this is clearly just the lads afraid of being caught skiving off.

If the council decided to install new stereos without informing them would they have had a strike too?

rayc wrote: »
    The question regarding what "changes to work practices" has been asked a number of times. If the GPS unit requires some training them maybe there is some (very very) small case to be made, but still not worth striking about. If it's the type of GPS unit that most company fleets would have (i.e. you don't even know the unit is there) then this is clearly just the lads afraid of being caught skiving off.

If the council decided to install new stereos without informing them would they have had a strike too?

What if you can't use your old tapes :eek:

My point is just that I think there could have been more information, and then everything could probably be avoided. Its just common management practice to keep workers involved. It needn't be a big issue.

As I said the privatisation was a far bigger issue, but there were no strikes about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Knightfall

ziedth wrote: »
    Banned for one week, Welcome to the fourm.

Snip

If you have an issue with a MOD action use a PM, don't post on the thread and thank you for kindly pointing out the typo my post has now been edited. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Knightfall wrote: »
    Should it not be taken as a given that moderators should have a basic command of spelling before assuming the position? Or, is banning someone for having an opinion other than your own now de rigeur?[...]

Typos happen. As evidenced by the bit in bold.

Snip

If you have an issue with a MOD action use a PM, don't post on the thread and thank you for kindly pointing out the typo. Cheers :)

Thank you appreciate that.

However, the rest of my point that was unrelated to the mod's spelling, but still stands. That is why was an individual banned for expressing an opinion opposed to the majority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

The GPS thing is small beer, and I doubt that is the real cause of the breakdown of trust. Recently bin collections were privatised, which is a big issue for the workers involved, yet there was no strike. Maybe people will appreciate the value of these workers when they see what a kip the place is when they stop working for less than one day.

Informing workers of changes is just good management practice.

Maybe you should show a little respect for the workers involved until you know the full facts behind the dispute?

About all we have established is that GPS is involved, the rest is idle speculation.

A link for those who wish to be better informed:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0407/1224294100856.html

The article only confirms all the previous posts. They should all be given a warning about their behavior and fired if they do it again.

• Advertisement

mecco wrote: »
    Typos happen. As evidenced by the bit in bold.

Oddly enough the Oxford Dictionary spells it the same way I do, but sure what would they know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thank you appreciate that.

However, the rest of my point that was unrelated to the mod's spelling, but still stands. That is why was an individual banned for expressing an opinion opposed to the majority?

Sweet Jesus, I'll do this once as I'm on my mobile and address this here. I didn't ban anyone for having a different opinion. I couldn't give a **** what peoples opinion are on this. The user in question abused members of the forum which is in breach of the charter which is why he was given a weeks ban, if you weren't getting so pissy over my placement of the letter u you might have seen that. Now to make this perfectly clear.

Derail this thread again and I will not be pleased. If you have any question regarding what I have said PM me and we can talk about it. I'm very approachable :)

Yes Boss wrote: »
    The article only confirms all the previous posts. They should all be given a warning about their behavior and fired if they do it again.

Hmm, well as there are there are different posts that conflict the article can't confirm all the previous posts. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough the Oxford Dictionary spells it the same way I do, but sure what would they know?

I stand corrected. Although presumably they have variations so as that's the dictionary I confirmed against before posting

http://oxforddictionaries.com/noresults?dictionaryVersion=region-uk&isWritersAndEditors=true&noresults=true&page=1&pageSize=20&q=de+rigeur&searchUri=All&sort=relevance&type=dictionarysearch

But I simply saw some pedantic humour in what appeared to be pointing out a typo with a typo. I'll try not to take us off topic again :)

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    There is some serious amount of speculation here and even better is people speculating, others taking the speculation as fact and condemning people because of the speculation they believe to be fact.

This is even before the people who are creating their own hypothesis and then believing their own hypothesis and getting riled up about an issue they created in their own head.

Amazing.

True, speculation can be dangerous and potentially unfair. It's why I was nervous about posting until a link was found. But there was a lot of local press coverage that could have informed us if it was about more than GPS devices being installed. The people on strike had interview time on WLR for example and, for my money, didnt convince me that it was about anything more than was speculated here.

I will agree with Dayshah about one thing though. Neither side has covered themselves in glory. Good management would have pre-empted this scenario by having staff on board. And picketing outside the WC centre was very cynical IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

From what has been communicated from the Council, it appears that the GPS proposal was set out several months a go and submitted to the Unions. The Unions had 6 weeks to raise any issue with the Council. It was also decided that the GPS units would not be in use until the 1st of June and until a Code of Practice was put in place.

This was all communicated to the Unions months a go.

AdMMM wrote: »
    From what has been communicated from the Council, it appears that the GPS proposal was set out several months a go and submitted to the Unions. The Unions had 6 weeks to raise any issue with the Council. It was also decided that the GPS units would not be in use until the 1st of June and until a Code of Practice was put in place.

True, and it wasn't an official dispute.

As I said I doubt its really about the GPS, more a breakdown in the relationship between workers and management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

AdMMM wrote: »

This just reinforces the majority of opinion on this issue. We need serious Public Sector Reform and the introduction of Grievance and Discipline, procedures comparable to the Private Sector which would allow for the dismissal of wasters...:mad:

What I've gathered is that the workers were concerned that “From what information we’ve gathered, once this system is in the lorry, even when the lorry is not switched on, the system is tracking and that’s where the trouble is arising,”
    I read that as "you'll know when we're slacking off"...

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    I read that as "you'll know when we're slacking off"...

Why? Are lunch breaks 'slacking off'?

Advertisement