Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike?? outside House of Waterford Crystal

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully, do you not think that management bear any responsibility for what happened?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dayshah wrote: »
    Sully, do you not think that management bear any responsibility for what happened?

You could argue they should have been told (though it is said they were told) they were fitting GPS trackers into the car but I see no reason to strike purely because they were not told. Thats the only downside I would have some feelings for anyway. Just my view though. :)

An awful lot of private sector companies do it, its common enough these days and its a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

It's also where the strike took place that has really upset people. We're relying on the Crystal centre as a tourist attraction and to see an unofficial strike happen right outside the door was an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Sully wrote: »
    Missed a question. :)

I assume you are family to one of those on strike, or at least a close friend? I think you were posting here during the strike so unless you guys took it in shifts I assume your not one of those on strike.

I do love coincidences tho. A bad strike, council management "posturing" as you put it and the end is quickly drawn with a "Oh we discussed it, that's all we wanted really. Thanks for having us!"

Sorry but the mood reflected in this thread and around town is that it was a petty reason to strike, its not a god given right that you are consulted with every move they make and there are far worse problems out there in the workforce and more concerning problems those workers should be focusing on. In addition, when jobs are so scarce and hard come by - striking over something like this further irritates people who are finding money tough regardless of their job status.

I fully understand and support workers rights. I just felt this pushed it.

Some very shrewd assumptions there Sherlock but unfortunately you are totally wrong.

I know nobody involved in the strike - no family , no friends - nobody.

You also posted during the strike but without prior knowledge I would never presume that you had any form of relationship with the management side - such assumptions really make people look foolish.

The Waterford News & Star reported that " Mr. Galvin said the injunction wasn't needed in the end after City Council management met with union representatives last thursday at 10 am , agreeing to participate in talks on the issues this thursday , April 14th "

Pretty conclusive evidence I would have thought that the matter is now proceeding along the lines of consultation & negotiation - the basis on which it should have happened in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

deise blue wrote: »
    Some very shrewd assumptions there Sherlock but unfortunately you are totally wrong.

I know nobody involved in the strike - no family , no friends - nobody.

You also posted during the strike but without prior knowledge I would never presume that you had any form of relationship with the management side - such assumptions really make people look foolish.

The Waterford News & Star reported that " Mr. Galvin said the injunction wasn't needed in the end after City Council management met with union representatives last thursday at 10 am , agreeing to participate in talks on the issues this thursday , April 14th "

Pretty conclusive evidence I would have thought that the matter is now proceeding along the lines of consultation & negotiation - the basis on which it should have happened in the first place.

Just as a matter of interest - Why should the management consult with Unions in order to fit a GPS system to their vehicles?

• Advertisement

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest - Why should the management consult with Unions in order to fit a GPS system to their vehicles?

To avoid a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

dayshah wrote: »
    To avoid a strike.

They should've known about it, it was in the Croke Park Agreement!

poppies2 wrote: »
    They should've known about it, it was in the Croke Park Agreement!

Where in the Croke Park Agreement does it mention GPS devices on trucks in Waterford? The CPA only covers the generalities, with the details implemented at a local level through discussions between workers and management.

It is normal practice, and common courtesy, for management to keep workers informed of changes and developments.

I'm not saying its 100% the fault of management, but at the end of the day the buck stops with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is obviously the first time management in any Waterford organasation has imposed as change in the equiptment their staff uses with out consultation..... as it is the first time i've seen a strike as a result.

Sorry no support from me....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Knightfall

chelloveks wrote: »
    The same proof that you must work for the council too.....lmfao!!!!! It's called deduction ya gob!

Ah, "deduction", followed by an insult. So, basically you just made it up to suit your story.

FYI - don't work for council, have relatives who do though, and this "tar all with the one brush" nonsense that goes on is beyond lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Knightfall

Sully wrote: »
    You could argue they should have been told (though it is said they were told) they were fitting GPS trackers into the car but I see no reason to strike purely because they were not told. Thats the only downside I would have some feelings for anyway. Just my view though. :)

An awful lot of private sector companies do it, its common enough these days and its a good idea.

As far as I'm aware the introduction of GPS has been flagged for months now. Strike only occurred when they were to be actually installed.

Breakdown in management staff communications - yes!
    Reason enough for an unofficial strike - no!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I love the way some unions believe that they have a god given right to have a say in how a company should be run. I really dont get what gives them this belief.

The last time I checked, management run a company and employees are there to do whatever jobs they are employed to do. Throwing a tantrum and threatening a strike every time the management does something they dont agree with is just crazy.

If there were major issues seriously affecting the workforce, the company were abusing a workers rights and all channels were used in trying to resolve the issue but failed, then and only then would a strike be justified. This doesn't appear to be the case.

From reading the comments here and the various reports in the media, its yet another example of a group spoilt over pampered civil service workers throwing the toys from the pram and getting in a strop because the management didn't ask their permission to do certain things.

Get over it and do your bloody job. if you don't like it, leave and let someone into a job who actually wants to do it. The tax payers money has been wasted enough without that lot adding to it. :mad:

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I love the way some unions believe that they have a god given right to have a say in how a company should be run.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that whole freedom of association thing and 'human rights' thing is fairly inconvenient.

Imagine, grown adults thinking they have some right over their lives when they are on the job.

Sure isn't enough that they are given something to do with their time, without them expecting to be paid for it too.

Advertisement