Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4i 3DS & Acekard 2.1 for 3DS/DSi(XL)/DS(Light)

• 06-04-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Howdy, hoping for a little help.

I guess my first question would have been what card will i go for? R4i 3DS or the Acekard 2.1 but a quick browse of the forum would suggest that Acekard is the better choice or preferred choice here.

Im new to this and only recently picked up a 3DS. Iv been searching constantly online for a week trying to decide what to get but also trying to establish will it work. I dont really know the processes involved but im fairly good with computers etc. I can see that there has been no 3DS hack for the games or 3D viewing but the cards will work on the 3DS for older DS/DSi games. Is this the case?

Iv also seen that new updates from Nintendo for the 3DS can render it unusable (brick the console) if they establish that you have been using the card. I do know it is illegal or breaking their terms and im not totally interested in the free games aspect but rather the idea of running NES & SNES games, movies etc through the homebrew apps that are available sounds great and can really add another dimension to the 3DS.

Also reading one of the more recent threads in this section i can see that when applying updates / flashing new cards it has to be done on a certain system or the card wont work on another system? Does that make sense sorry? Is this true?

I guess i would like some tips for starting out with this as a newbie. is there a community site or somewhere people would suggest to learn what i need to know?

Thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just like the firmware on your DS can be updated by Nintendo when you connect to the internet or play a new game, your card's firmware can be updated. The reason a card's firmware (and not operating system) needs to be updated is that when Nintendo releases a firmware update for the DS it's usually to lock out a loophole that makes the cards work.

Since the software that you run to update the card firmware isn't official Nintendo software, the Nintendo DS on which you're doing the updating from should be able to read the card. Obviously if the DS doesn't read the card (because you updated the DS firmware before updating your card) then it's impossible to run the update software on that DS. This is why you may need another DS - you get that DS, update your card on it, and then go back to using it in your own DS.

If you absolutely need SNES/NES compatibility right this minute then I would suggest the Acekard 2i, it is my favourite hassle-free card. Depending on how old the stock you are sent is, this card may not work out of the box on a 3DS - you will need a Nintendo DS/DSL/DSi/DSi XL to perform the update (update file available from Acekard's site).

All you will get from these cards is the ability to run DS stuff on it - the 3DS has not been hacked yet and homebrew that takes advantage of the 3DS hardware does not exist either. So you may end up buying another card later on down the line after it is hacked if this interests you.

I know nothing about the rumours that Nintendo will brick your device if they detect you using a card - they would be opening themselves up for a world of hurt here in the EU if they tried it to be honest, just like Microsoft can't brick your xbox for modding it, or Sony your PS3 or Nintendo your Wii. Your device is yours to do as you wish, obviously with copyright considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thanks very much for the reply.

That makes perfect sense to me now. So to update the flashcards you have to do it through the console. My o/h has one of the original DS consoles so at least i have that as a backup to run the updates on the cards. Essentially any system update that comes out i should refrain from updating it until the latest version of the card comes out.

I was reading that and do understand that the 3DS games / Movies have not been hacked yet but in your experience do you think that could be months away based on how fast the DS / DSi games became available after the cards originally released? I would not mind investing in the Acekard 2i if i got a good few number of months out of it.

Do you have any sites or links you would suggest for me to read to make the understanding of it all that much easier? You can PM if not allowed to post directly. Also a link to a reliable and legitiamte seller of offical cards?

Thanks once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yes, when a firmware for the console comes out you should refrain from updating until you know if it locks out your card - if it does then wait until you get a firmware update for your card from the Manufacturer run that card update, then run the Nintendo update and you should be good to go. Don't do it the opposite way (console then card) as you'll lock yourself out and have to use that other DS :)

From what I know regarding the DS the firmware updates are only optional - no significant (as in required by games) features are introduced in DS firmware updates so I never update the firmware. If you play online though this might be a requirement much like Microsoft and Sony to have the DS at the latest system firmware before going online.

I'm not a hacker, I've no idea how fast the 3DS will be hacked but you can be sure there are eyes already on the system, poking and prodding around. For the cost of an Acekard 2i (about €10) I'd recommend getting it - at the least your wife could get some use out of it herself when the 3DS cards come along.

There are legit seller listings available on Acekard.com - I last used Gamekool.com for my own cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yes, when a firmware for the console comes out you should refrain from updating until you know if it locks out your card - if it does then wait until you get a firmware update for your card from the Manufacturer run that card update, then run the Nintendo update and you should be good to go. Don't do it the opposite way (console then card) as you'll lock yourself out and have to use that other DS :)

From what I know regarding the DS the firmware updates are only optional - no significant (as in required by games) features are introduced in DS firmware updates so I never update the firmware. If you play online though this might be a requirement much like Microsoft and Sony to have the DS at the latest system firmware before going online.

I'm not a hacker, I've no idea how fast the 3DS will be hacked but you can be sure there are eyes already on the system, poking and prodding around. For the cost of an Acekard 2i (about €10) I'd recommend getting it - at the least your wife could get some use out of it herself when the 3DS cards come along.

There are legit seller listings available on Acekard.com - I last used Gamekool.com for my own cards.

There's also the possibility that if the 3DS security is breached, thenexisting cards will recieve an update allowing them to run code. But given that the driving force behind the DS flash cart market id profit, I'd say if it were possible, then they won't be too eager to reveal how to do it & would happliy let everyone buy new cards :)

Advertisement