Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CM Punk

• 06-04-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

How do people feel he has evolved, and how far do you think he can go? Or do people think he is about at his peak at the moment?

For me, Punk is by a long distance the most enjoyable character in wrestling at the moment. He promos are so real, almost sinister, his facial expressions are fantastic, soemthing which was very much on show in his Mania match.

He needs to be kept as a heel, as he is playing his role at the moment perfectly. He is extremely hateable,a nd that is what a heel needs to do. His matches are not too shabby either.

Keep him as a heel and he is the top guy for a few years. Not bad for a guy who came in as a bland as could be babyface a few years ago in ECW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

he is a superstar in every meaning of the word. I watched a "from the vault" that we got here in work and it was him vs edge (with edge as the heel) and it was terrible, he was obviously reined in and told what to do - was just bland!

But now he is amazing - everything about him is just so real - he has his character and he plays it superbly! I am a huge fan of his! His promos put him head and sholders ahead of everyone promo-wise! I agree with you saying he could be top heel in the company for years to come!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gimmick wrote: »
    How do people feel he has evolved, and how far do you think he can go? Or do people think he is about at his peak at the moment?

For me, Punk is by a long distance the most enjoyable character in wrestling at the moment. He promos are so real, almost sinister, his facial expressions are fantastic, soemthing which was very much on show in his Mania match.

He needs to be kept as a heel, as he is playing his role at the moment perfectly. He is extremely hateable,a nd that is what a heel needs to do. His matches are not too shabby either.

Keep him as a heel and he is the top guy for a few years. Not bad for a guy who came in as a bland as could be babyface a few years ago in ECW.

I think he is the new Jericho (I know some say Miz is coz of the suits etc but Jericho was more than that). By that I mean a guy the WWE know will give them a good feud/match against anyone they pit him with but they oddly keep him between the main event and Mid card. At a time when they themselves say they need to make new stars it surprises me they dont give him a really big push. Personally I expected last Summer to be the Summer of Punk cos it would be so easy to push him big, as tbh he would do all the work himself. He is a guy id be confident of not dropping the ball if given it to run with, but he hasnt really been given it yet.

Some will say he is already a star and I agree but I think he could easily be a main event star that draws still... and yes he should stay heel for a good long while yet as he is simply more suited to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Unfortunately, I don't think Punk will ever be booked as a serious main-eventer without back up, purely because of his size - as long as the profile of the top guys is < 6'4 superheroes, there'll be question marks about getting kids to believe in him as a legit threat to the faces. His feuds with Undertaker and Big Show really gave me cause for concern. The fact that he was presented as a serious, serious opponent for Orton at WM was really encouraging - even if the creatives are leery about having him beat Cena etc., they're at least happy to have him as a legit threat.

Of course, from an in-ring, psychology and just about every other point of view, I'm a total fanboy. He was good 18 months ago, and keeps getting better.

There was some discussion on this board a while back about Jake Roberts, and people were saying that Randy Orton is a poor man's Roberts. I'm starting to think that Punk is the closest to the snake in today's WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

He has been the best act in the WWE for since he turned heel, I just wish they would let him off the leash and push him as their #1 heel. At the moment he seems to be in that second tier just below main-event level. The Jericho comparison has some merit, but I think Punk can be more believable as a genuine main-event player than Jericho ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Wish they'd actually give him some creative control or at least use his ideas.

The way he's so outspoken in his criticisms on twitter probabaly work against him though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

best talent on the active roster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

He's a deep character not a bland boring one dimentional one like practically all of his co-workers.He's a bit lucky that he gets to pick apart his opponents flaws & behavior.He did this perfectly with Orton & Cena in particular.I just think that he has falled into the "Jericho position" a very relyable hand for WWE who see him more in the match before the main event than in the main event(thats going to Piss off a few but its my opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

If you are using his ECW stint as a starting point then yeah you can say he has evolved but you look at his indy work it isnt that huge of a leap. But yeah has in ring has tightened up a lot.

Dont think he will raise greater than the Piper/Jericho role he is in. No shame in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

geeky wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think Punk will ever be booked as a serious main-eventer without back up, purely because of his size - as long as the profile of the top guys is < 6'4 superheroes, there'll be question marks about getting kids to believe in him as a legit threat to the faces. His feuds with Undertaker and Big Show really gave me cause for concern. The fact that he was presented as a serious, serious opponent for Orton at WM was really encouraging - even if the creatives are leery about having him beat Cena etc., they're at least happy to have him as a legit threat.

Of course, from an in-ring, psychology and just about every other point of view, I'm a total fanboy. He was good 18 months ago, and keeps getting better.

There was some discussion on this board a while back about Jake Roberts, and people were saying that Randy Orton is a poor man's Roberts. I'm starting to think that Punk is the closest to the snake in today's WWE.

He's a colossus compared to Rey Mysterio. Size wise he is fine. Shawn Michaels is smaller than Punk.

The comparisons to Jericho on here are extremely flattering on Jericho. Punk is for the the best all round talent in the world today. I see him staying main event, upper mid card for the foreseeable future.

I wonder is Samoa Joe laughing at him for taking that WWE contract now? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GTR63 wrote: »
    just think that he has falled into the "Jericho position" a very relyable hand for WWE who see him more in the match before the main event than in the main event(thats going to Piss off a few but its my opinion).

Even as a huge Punk fan, I agree with you. But then I think that's something typical of most heels in WWE nowadays; it's easier to market faces to the public so the goodguys are always portrayed as bigger stars. Punk plays an awesome heel but that will go against him since it makes him harder to push in the mainstream media. The general public won't want to know about an ass and Punk is simply too good at being one....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Don Stevo

He's definately the best the WWE has to offer at this moment in time. It's a shame he didn't beat Orton at Mania because that would have pushed him on to bigger and better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Punk vs y2j is a feud I wanna see! Jericho is a charismatic face who is brilliant on the mic, punk is his opposite (aka charismatic heel not uncharismatic) andthey are both warriors in the ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

hes deadly he is. Hes the only one (besides when the rock came back) that im glued to the screen watchin even when hes just talking!

he also doesnt wrestle that much so it seems special when he does. i love him as the leader of another group. hated what they did to SES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Best heel in WWE currently way better than Miz imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Best all rounder in the world at the moment IMO. The sky is the limt as to how good he can be. His facials are extraordinary, like all the really great workers oits the little things he does that sets him apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I remember when he first started out with Kelly kelly on WWECW, god he was bad. Really boring and dull, but had a good image. But now Id even put his heel character up there with the best heels in recent memory along with heel Edge from a few years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

CM Punk

The Best Wrestler and Entertainer package in wrestling.

He is brilliant at promos, see the opening of RAW two weeks ago. It was so much better than the usual muck we get from the likes of HHH when he opens a RAW.

His in ring performances are excellent. He can Punch, kick, Fly, lock in a submission hold, work a body part and Suplex/slam his way around the ring.

His can sell a beating better than most.

His facial expressions are brilliant - he can use them to sell his own evilness
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZor11SUK29Q4f9mu_1HzVUctwrsFrHaE96kMfkbGDHkuRSUDb

or sell someone Else's offence,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW9uLKjjylqZSGBWdhsopzfxDpBCuqnBaQgao2UCdADZuY4OxgUQ

He also uses them to sell his own moves like when he locks in the anaconda vice and makes it look like he is putting all his energy into it.
    [Embedded Image Removed]

He showed his intelligence by finding a Finisher that can be sudden or allow a pose for the camera.
    [Embedded Image Removed]

He would have been a great face or heel in the attitude era.

l also think anyone talking **** about his face run in WWE is being unfair. In the ring he was still awesome and was only let down by poor booking but he never missed a step in the Ring.

My favourite Wrestling moment was watching Punk v Jericho at the O2 a couple of years ago.

Also
    He can grow a great beard and match it with a bald head
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuiHc3fH7QWDHTQ_uB4OYNK6LeBZ3gb3d8pC3kL3OtNunoIgayimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvNJl4rpEled-YxrfVwyuKhbc5wPwh7cO5NVDWi8SHtre7O1Zr

He can pull off the mask look
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh5Yh2o2vEh01w48CoZGX6K3UOAVQoXBGOwTGqkB1ZyCJWlOYd

He doesn't do drugs and can save you
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSJibzze_yBng5IpumimTHFLqagZIPu5SNF4OCfIqQPpMtljw5-g

And he loves ladies
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUB-RXt7jPEfs1nmNeXrGFAAP_BA9CdI2Hdr1HTRo5y-9mMw8dXA

And more importantly ladies love him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

flahavaj wrote: »
    And more importantly ladies love him.

I think I love him,

I've lost count of How Many Times I have entered CM-PUNK when I go to log in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

DM-ICE wrote: »
    l also think anyone talking **** about his face run in WWE is being unfair. In the ring he was still awesome and was only let down by poor booking but he never missed a step in the Ring.

This is very true. His match with JoMo for the WWECW Title was a great match. His in-ring work was top notch as always when he was a face.

Speaking of his ECW days, in little skits like this you can see just how awesome a character he can be.

• Advertisement

This is very true. His match with JoMo for the WWECW Title was a great match. His in-ring work was top notch as always when he was a face.

Speaking of his ECW days, in little skits like this you can see just how awesome a character he can be.

I miss Armando. He was a f*cking hero.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i wish he was around in a different era :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

one of the best in wwe, wish they let him have another title reign

Advertisement